Heider (R) Bremen U-23s at Dortmund Amat., 9/1

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by golazo68, Sep 1, 2007.

1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    http://www.werder-online.de/regionalliga/aktuelles/meldung.php?id=11426

Funny enough, Kicker didn't list Heider as having scored, but lo and behold- the Werder Bremen site does!

We'll go with Werder Bremen- they should be able to distinguish their own players!

Heider now with 4 goals in 6 games (only played 5) and is tied for 2nd in BL Nord (3rd division). Only 21, but I guess there is *some* question if he is US-eligible? Would be nice to clear that up, since the kid *may* just see the big team this year at this rate...

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    With the midfield problems Werder is facing right now it's definitly possible.
    Young Harnik got his chance already.

Heider is playing in a very talented environment there. Bremen's U23 is everything 96's reservers are not. They offer a great chance to develop as a player whereas 96's reserves to quote a poster of the German board "are a black hole that sucks all the talent out of the players" (so let's better hope Zizzo makes the first team fast). ;)

Someone needs to finally clear the issue wheather he's even eligible for you guys or not though. Maybe this is an assignment for smithfan, a fellow BS poster and founder of the German fussballtalente-homepage.

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I agree. So many here like to be negative on chasing down this stuff, but the US Men's Nat team is as depth-challenged as ever (and by that, I mean depth WITH TALENT challenged. We've got plenty of MLS guys who COULD play in the World Cup 2010 team..just none that you would want to (or will ever be good enough too).

Heider is playing well. He must be on the radar for a first-team spot, if he keeps this up.

Heider is also a long-shot, but I have a lot of respect for Bremen's youth development, and they have a long history of producing great players. I also love HOW they play (creative, offensive, and somewhat un-German like :)).

So, hell....we are inviting Davies, K.Hill, Zizzo and others to get capped...simply because they've shown something and we are 3 years from the Cup. Why not make a little extra effort to track down this guy's status?
    Might as well. Doesn't make us desperate, just makes us realists....

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the USSF has done that already, come to the conclusion he won't play for the US, and just not bothered to post it on BS.

5. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think a much more likely scenario is that they have no clue who the guy is, and will only learn about him thru BS..

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    a 21 year old, of unclear nationality, playing at a level that is officially considered amateur? And he is not on the USSF screen? I would fire the bunch of those hacks! :)
    By the way, we have a kid in our pick-up game who is fantastic. I wonder if he is on the USSF radar?

7. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Werder's second team is top class.
    If he's eligible for the US and not even on the radar of the USSF some things are going wrong.

They should at least give him a look for the U23 team, I agree that it's a stretch right now to call him up for the first team without Bundesliga experience.

Regionalliga is a fully professional league these days btw.

8. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    US scouts have watched Marc Heider during the last match...

What does he actually have to do with the US? I know he was born in Sacramento, but he moved to Germany 1 year after his birth...are his parents German or American?

9. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being born here makes him a US citizen automatically. Interesting, if true, that there were USSF people there. Who, I wonder?

Smithfan, do you have any idea who they were? National team guys or maybe even MLS scouts? Just wondering, were you there, or is this third hand information? I don't doubt you, but just wondering.

10. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have that info from a Werder Bremen insider who knows his stuff usually. He said today that scouts from the US federation were there to watch him...That's all I know.

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    If this in any way means that USSF scouts picked up on Heider thru the BS message boards- I have only one statement for them:

"You guys better fix (and now) whatever the hell you are teaching to the 'most talented' US soccer players in the U-17 age category.....because whatever it is, it is piss poor and those guys could not 1 v 1 dribble a decent college girl team player, nor do they know how to run off the ball, nor do they have vision on the field. That display in Korea was disgusting".

Thank you.

12. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
  14. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He did not play for Germany (yet) but (!) he could still play for their U21 team (1986 born) and Germany does not have a lot of good forwards in their U21, so it might be possible that he is called up if he continues to score like he's doing now. For example, the only real striker currently in Germany's U21 is a Regionalliga-Player like Heider who scored 9 goals last season. Heider has already 4 goals in 6 matches....

15. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Werder Bremen Amature squad beat Koln in the first round of the DFB cup this year.