Heavy Rain Forecast: Advantage or disadvantage

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mattjo, Jun 15, 2014.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ha, I was just about to put this for opinion on BS as well. Thunderstorms expected.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/82598.html

Not sure if GHA has every played or trained much in such conditions. We've certainly had some exposure to it. The key will be to focus on getting some SOGs, as the slippery conditions and hydroplaning-like movement of the ball can cause GK problems. I think our players will understand that, hopefully.

The other point I'd like to make is will the rain make GHA's mix of athleticism and technique a bit less impactful, and benefit more team-play which the USA is arguably more reliant upon? I believe it will. Through balls will be harder to come by, which is (was?) something i feared from GHA but the rain may mitigate that threat a bit.

Bring your ponchos!

zeitgeis repped this.
  3. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Advantage USA. Class keepers show in wet weather.

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    As long as the field drains so it just plays fast rather than unpredictably I think it favors us. I worry about long passes behind our back line with Ghana's speed. A skipping ball will is harder to place between the GK and back 4. It certainly helps when your goalkeeper plays in England too.

That goal in extra time vs. us last time? They can't do that on a wet field.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  5. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the story lines for the World Cup is how teams would cope with the heat and humidity of Brazil. I think African teams and CONCACAF teams could benefit from the conditions, as well as Colombia and Brazil. I think Ghanaian players have had to compete in similar conditions on occasion, either during qualifying or at the African Cup of Nations. Should still be a fun match to watch. If Honduras can scrape a result against France today, U.S.A. will be under pressure to keep up CONCACAF's good early showing.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm sure it's freaking ppl around the globe out that C'bol teams aren't going to be acclimated to conditions in such a familiar country as Brazil, but the thing is that Brazil rarely schedules qualifiers in extreme conditions. They're not looking for an advantage like Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and their high altitude qualifiers. Plus, their European based players are averse to having to re-acclimate to the tropics, IF they are from a more tropical climate to begin with!

The only 2 countries that can and occasionally do schedule qualifiers in tropical conditions are Colombia and Venezuela.

SetPeace repped this.
  7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunately i think ghana will be the least affected of our three opponents. a torrential downpour on a sketchy field against portugal would obviously be an advantage, but i think we have a lot in common with ghana in that (i imagine) in african qualifying they see a few guatemala-esque pitches.

8. zeitgeis

zeitgeis Member

May 13, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow is the day Tim and his back four have to come up big. If they do I like our chances.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ghana. Not a football match. All physical battles.

10. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Rain is only better if it is a really hot day. Otherwise it's a negative for everyone.

I don't really believe specific teams are "better" in certain climates. National teams are usually composed of players from a wide variety of leagues. If you were born near the equator but play in a Russian league for most of your career, you aren't going to adapt better to hot/humid conditions than anyone else.

uclacarlos repped this.
  11. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Heavy rain will kill the counter, it will probably help the team that creates from the run of the play.

12. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this.

Teams that rely on speed will likely be handicapped somewhat.

13. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 pirozhok, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Long range shots, set pieces are very tricky for goalies in heavy rain. So whoever takes more opportunistic shots, might have an advantage.

14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    But it's more negative for some teams than others...which turns it into a net positive for a team playing an opponent more adversely affected.

It's not there is an inherent physiological disadvantage, because with proper acclimation, it's not such a big deal...although bigger players will overheat more in hot temps (less surface area for heat loss vs. greater body mass for heat retention). The big issue is that clubs play the most effective style for them given talent and environment and that style doesn't translate well to all climates. An African playing in the Premier League may have substantial experience playing in heat, but an English or northern European won't. Practice definitely but not matches at full intensity. If you grow up playing fast and covering a lot of ground in a high energy style in 40-75F weather 95% of the time, you're going to have a hard time duplicating your preferred style at 85-95F.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    if we can do it in snow, why not rain? Ghana will make it a physical battle and take shots from distance, Howard's main weakness. However, Dempsey's lack of speed will be nullified a bit and he might sneak one in on a late run.

Dempsey's mind and competitiveness are showing very well, my fear is that his body can't keep up anymore. He is half a step slow to being great right now. I hope he takes a little more patience when deciding when to shoot as well. He needs to show poise again in the box.

In a rainy game, Dempsey is the kind of player that makes a difference because he is an 'adapter.' That might in truth be his greatest gift. Not just become what is necessary, but know it before everyone else figures it out.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Seattle is pretty rainy. Dempsey and Yedlin should adapt well to wet conditions.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Dempsey tends to be at his best the crazier the situation is.

18. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Bradley has been telling everyone that this will be a World Cup of suffering, and whoever suffers the most the best will have an edge.

I feel like our guys have the mentality to be ready for anything. Not saying Ghana won't, but we are a mentally tough team with great team spirit.

19. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's more accurate. It doesn't rain very hard there, often, just a light amount pretty frequently, IIRC.

20. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance that a cold front comes in and it turns to snow? We're good to go then. :D

Winoman and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  21. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing 40% chance around game-time.

22. AirMe

AirMe Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We don't get downpours in Seattle.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Mostly this. Though starting in around late May, it mostly disappears till late september. Which happens to be most of MLS. They also have field turf up in Seattle designed to drain the rain away fairly easily.

Unfortunately, I expect puddles on the pitch in Manaus.

25. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably some better some worse. Although as far as I'm concerned anything that slows them down is a good thing. If the biggest thing we're worried about is their speed, then this helps quite a bit as far as I'm concerned.