Heart vs Head

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by sam_gordon, Oct 6, 2017.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    OK, this might be long, but I'm interested in the take from other soccer parents

Background
    DS(14 today) has been playing soccer for 11 years. He's been on club since U8. We have middle school soccer for 6th, 7th, and 8th, he's played all 3 years (this is his 8th grade year). He's on one of the top teams in the state (not that that says much) and made the ODP team last year. He made the HS JV team this year, didn't get much PT because 8th graders can't play if an 11th grader is on the field (for either team). He's played in summer leagues, winter futsal leagues, gone to camps, etc. I say all this to show how much he loves to play.
    In school ball:
    6th grade year, win regular season, lose conference tournament finals in PKs.
    7th grade year, 2nd place regular season, lose in conference tournament semis.
    8th grade year, 2nd place regular season (only loss was in PKs). He's top goal scorer for the team (and probably assist leader). We are loaded with 8th graders, "this is our year".

Recent history
    Three weekends ago, his club team (usually has the fall off at this age group) put a team together for trapped 8th graders and went to a tournament. 40 minute halves, hot, two games Saturday, two games Sunday (lost in the championship). DS played every minute. Come home Sunday night and Monday night he plays in a MS school game (30 minute halves). Tuesday is a MS school game but he sat out to rest. Thursday is another game, he goes in for about 10-15 minutes and asks for a sub because his hamstring hurts. Coach calls us after the game and says he's not going to play him Friday.
    DS wakes up Friday, very little pain. He goes through warm ups Friday, no pain. Since it's "8th grade night", he talks the coach into playing him. He starts and 5 minutes in somehow twists his body and collapses in pain.
    JV coach is at the game and tells us he can work with the HS trainer since he's on the JV team.
    We leave messages for the trainer and finally get him in to see an associate (she's a physical therapist) on Tuesday.

He goes to PT every morning (45 minutes before school). We're on fall break and he's still getting up early to go to PT (so his mom and I can go to work). As of after this morning's session, there's no pain. He's said for the last week, the only "drill" at PT that gives him any pain is single "leg curls".

MS Conference semi-finals are Tuesday night. Physical Therapist is targeting that to allow him back on the field.

Hindsight
    Yes, he shouldn't have played 8th grade night. Bad decision all around (parents, coach, athlete).

Head
    I *KNOW* this in an 8th grade tournament. It doesn't matter. No one will care who wins or loses. It's not worth further injury.

Heart
    DS has put blood, sweat, and tears into this team for the last three years. He's worked his tail off trying to recover from this injury. His team (#2 seed) almost lost to the #7 seed in the opening round. DS sat on the bench. He said it was killing him not being able to play.

He's scheduled back for PT on Monday and they'll have him sprint and do cuts and see how he does. I'm hoping there's a definitive decision, even if he can't play. My heart just breaks for the kid even though I know it's not important. uggghhhhh....

2. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I would not let my child play unless an experienced physiotherapist clears him. He may only be cleared for half of a game. Think long term.

You cannot feel responsible if the team loses because your son is injured and can't play.

Lesson learned. If you have some big game coming up he needs to understand how to pace himself and recover properly so he is able to play uninjured.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Agree. Injuries are going to happen and they rarely happen at good times. But there is always some 'big game' that they have to play in...so parents, kids and coaches talk themselves into playing.

One thing kids this age learn too late is they aren't 10 years old anymore. Recovery is vital. They need to learn how to cool down after a game, what nutrition helps recovery and how to stretch/warm up appropriately.

We have spent enough to own our own PT facility based on our clan but it was worth it to prevent further injury.

We missed a state cup final due to a concussion. The week of the game we went to a friend who was a doctor hoping for a release. Turns out he was a good enough friend to not allow the player to play. Looking back, we can't believe we were even trying to get the clearance. But, it was a BIG game and it was our oldest so we didn't know better, even if we really did.

And if the player wants there to be more big games in the future, they need to sit out sometimes, take care of their body and follow the direction of professionals...the rest of us are usually too invested to think clearly.

Don't beat yourself up, you are not the only family to face that question. Next year the club teams will take the HS season off and it reduces a lot of tension.

StrikerMom and bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Thank you both. I totally agree with what you're saying. I guess our question now is "When do we know he's recovered?" I agree we don't want him to sustain further injury, but if you (general) don't put your child on the field because there's a chance of injury, they'd never play. If he was still in pain, it's an easy decision. What makes it difficult is he's not having pain.

His club team is actually "off" this fall. They did this tournament so kids who couldn't play school ball get get some game action. We are enjoying the break. lol

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son didn't listen to his body when he was a couple years older than yours; he ended up tearing the meniscus in his right knee. It required surgery and he essentially missed his entire Jr. year as a player. During the entire recovery, of course, there was no guarantee he would ever be able to play again. He was pretty gutted, and somewhat depressed.

The good news--the surgery was successful and he was able to come back to play HS & club his Sr. year and got recruited for college. But he knows that was a mix of luck and a good surgeon & PT. It could have ended worse.

Listen to your head. I should have been monitoring our kid more, but he was a HS student and it's harder to be on top of them at that age. His mother had noticed he was popping ibuprofen like it was candy in the months prior to the injury (he was playing through lots of aches, pains, and minor dings) but we never did or said anything. Sounds like you're way more on top of things and aware of the big picture than I was. You'll do your son a favor helping him learn that his body needs to be minded more now than when he was a kid.

EDIT: given your last post, I'd say the timing here is great; he skips this tournament and then has a season off--that would just about guarantee a full recovery assuming he gets the thumbs-up from professionals.

6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is tough one…to be honest, very conflicted…I am kinda an old school, rub a little dirt on kinda guy….which, is to say, I am not very smart about this things at times….

Let me ask you this, IF the team makes it through to the finals, what’s the odds you keep him out of that game?

Regardless of what the Doc said Tuesday, I think I still hold him out for the semis…even if technically cleared, I’d be hesitant to throw him into a game setting just a few hours after getting cleared….

But for the finals (which I assume would be next weekend/week), if they make it, and if cleared, and if he gets a few practices in without any problems, I might lean toward letting him play that game…once again, if it happens….

But I don’t know, maybe a few extra days doesn’t make a bit of difference…I refer you back the part where I admit I am not very smart about this things…:(

I feel your pain and your son’s pain, missing a “big game” is never easy, even if you “know” it doesn’t mean much in the long run….in the moment, it just plain sucks….

Good luck in whatever you decide….

bigredfutbol and sam_gordon repped this.
  7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    FWIW, I had him at PT this morning. He went through all the exercises, spent some time on the treadmill and they gradually took that up to 10mph. He said there was no pain after that. The therapist was going to take him outside for some true sprints and cuts but we had rain all day yesterday and the therapist didn't want him slipping on concrete.

Semi-final is tomorrow (Tuesday) and Final is Thursday. Therapist said this morning he can play tomorrow night if needed. At this point, we're hoping he's not needed tomorrow night (call it an abundance of caution).

@mwulf, I'm like you... "rub some dirt in it". Probably not the smartest thought though. lol

Why can't parenting be easy. :confused:

mwulf67 repped this.
  8. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    If keeping them on the field is your goal then you follow RICE and follow the basic rules of care unless it is a true injury.

It adds up, not taking proper care of basic aches and strains can lead to other issues. Stress fractures and overuse issues are avoidable.

At the U14-18 levels I'd say they average 30 games and over 75 practices a year. It sounds spread out but there are blocks of time with no games etc. so those 100 events are packed into a tight timeframe.

Players should learn to stretch and roll on off-days, to eat/drink recovery nutrition and how to take a day off or take a recovery run on off days as needed.

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Not sure how you managed to pull this off. Our middle school stipulates that once you miss 4 practices, your off the team which is ridiculous!

At that age being on one of the "top teams in the state". I can only imagine that he was practicing with his club 4 times a week - 1-2 games every weekend?

10. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    He had club ball his 6th and 7th grade years. Coach's prerogative on what he allows. We've had two coaches in the three years. Both of them understood that the kids on select teams get better training with the club then they would in MS. Basically it was "make the practices/games you can and we'll be happy to have you."

FWIW, club only had two days of practice during the week and then games (anywhere between 1-4) on weekends.