Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    DM: Good tidings. Your kingdom has recovered from the GFC and the birth rate is rising!
    GOP: I cast death by pre-existing conditions 24 million times
    DM: ....

#GOPDnD

nicephoras and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true, but in the meantime, health insurers are reacting by raising premiums because of uncertainty.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't assume the Senate version will be significantly better, nor that the final version will be better once it goes through reconcilliation...

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The Senate version will be better, but I doubt it will be a panacea.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's still hard to see how you can get to $400Bn for LESS than 40m people?

Leaving aside the single-payer question, NO form of universal healthcare implemented elsewhere in the world costs anything like that.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Good news, guys! The Tweeter in Chief is tweeting!

I don't think Donald Trump is clear on the concept of Republicans.

Geneva and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Excuse me, stewardess, I speak Doublespeak. He says "We need to add more dollars to healthcare", which translates to "Americans need to add more dollars to healthcare by paying more out of pocket," and "the Republicans will do much better!" translates to "at getting Americans to pay more out of pocket."

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Mmmmmmm Lorna Patterson as Randy

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #2334 Cascarino's Pizzeria, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    I don't think he is clear on how a wheel works.

JohnR repped this.
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that water us by definition, wet

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And Barbara Billingsley, known for saying the dirtiest sentence that ever slipped by the censors in the 1950s: "Ward, you were awfully hard on the beaver last night."

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    His quotes on health care are as if they were created by random bots, sometimes from a GOP engine, sometimes from one made by a Bernie Bro. He cares so little about this issue that he can't even keep the sides straight.

Boloni86 repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can you guys say "Single-Payer"? It seems like Republicans are so bent on destroying healthcare that we might go SP sooner than we thought:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-senators-weigh-taxing-employer-health-plans-1496350662

A number of lawmakers are open to the idea, including Sen. Mike Lee (R., Utah), GOP aides said, but there is no consensus yet on whether it should be included in the draft bill being written during this week’s congressional recess. [...]

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), who floated the idea in his own health proposal, has said the tax code unfairly favors people who get their health insurance through work over those who buy it on their own. Republicans, Mr. Ryan said in March, want to “stop the discrimination in the tax code against people who want to go out in a free marketplace and buy the health care of their choosing.”

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like sending a mail bomb to yourself. What a crushing issue for them.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unless I'm missing something, taxing health-care benefits through work and using those proceeds to subsidize health care for those who don't get coverage through work is a damn good idea. I don't see how it could pass, though.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So their plan gets rid of taxes on higher income individuals to finance the plan and instead goes to taxing everyone who has an employer-sponsored plan. Typical.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn't the ACA do that to certain extent? The GOP is trapped in an unsolvable puzzle and no matter how they try to rearrange the pieces, they are going to end up screwing (and pissing) a number of voters higher than those receiving tax cuts.

Remember that most people in the US gets coverage through employer-sponsored plans. When next election comes around, a bunch of people is going to be pissed at whoever increased taxes on them. Hopefully it will be an easy message for the dems to convey.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Maybe if they get Trump to tell his fans that single payer was a Republican plan all along, they can sell it to their base.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant taxing benefits.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh well OK that is bad ... I was thinking of adding the tax on employer plans to the existing tax on higher-income individuals. But if the GOP is proposing to eliminate the latter and add the former -- which yeah, must be the case, I realize now that I haven't heard of them putting the high-income tax back into the bill -- then yeah that idea fails.

Sad. There I was going to praise a GOP idea.. I really would like to be "bipartisan" but if that is to be the GOP has to get it right, and getting it right seems to be a mighty struggle for that party.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's not going to happen. The same way that all ideas for making the corporate tax cut revenue neutral are now off the table -- the GOP members of Congress aren't willing to go home and explain that they took away a tax benefit from individuals so as to give a tax benefit to corporations. Instead, they will give a tax benefit to corporations and not take away a tax benefit to individuals, thereby blowing out the deficit.

Then they will run on 2018 against fiscally irresponsible Democrats, knowing that GOP voters will never know and/or care about what actually happened. They won't be learning that from Fox.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the issue here is that there is one report that implementing single payer in CA would cost $400 billion and another report that it will reduce healthcare costs by $400 billion... I'm not sure the two reports are mutually exclusive.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, this:

Under the normal legislative procedure, the bill would need to clear a 60-vote threshold before it could advance. In that scenario, Democrats would unite against the bill and it would fall short; Senate Republicans could in turn pin the blame for blocking Obamacare repeal on the minority.

“How do you do it in a way that you allow Democrats to kill it?” the second GOP lobbyist said. “If you couldn’t find a way to blame it on the Democrats, you have an obvious problem.”

But the Senate is moving its bill under “budget reconciliation.” The advantage is that advancing a bill would require only 50 votes, preventing a Democratic filibuster. But that only helps if you actually have the votes. If Senate Republicans decide they can’t get 50 votes, then the only way to definitively resolve the health care debate (other than announcing the impasse and hoping it will be left at that) might be to put the bill on the floor and force their own members to block it.

What the GOP should do for political advantage is challenge the bill under the Byrd Rule. This will almost certainly happen anyway, as the Dems are likely to do it. When the challenge is posed, the GOP should not fight it or overrule. They should accept it and double down on it by moving to subject the entire bill to the normal rules. Then the Dems will block it with their votes, and the GOP could go on blaming Dems for blocking Obamacare repeal.

Of course, the parliamentarian has to agree that the bill violates the Byrd Rule. And if this was really in the works, the Dems might not lodge the parliamentary objection.

But it's fully within the power of the Senate to reconsider this under the normal rules. Truth is, the Senate can more or less do anything they want in terms of parliamentary procedure provided they get enough senators to agree. It might be more palatable to get 51 votes to kill the bill by reconsidering it under the normal rules than to have 51 votes voting against it directly under reconciliation.

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Or they could just start talking to Dems about fixes to the current law. Or is that not a thing anymore ...

flowergirl and sitruc repped this.