Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Where was that I read that the people that complain the most are those who pay the less?

fatbastard repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Occupy Wall Street critics?

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yeah, the trust fund Occupy Wall Street babies are the worst. Unwashed, over educated, and fugly.

4. Funny, I guess what she calls bloodwork is a test of your blood. She tells that you have to be ill to get it, but you can get one if you want, for instance to check for diabetis, vitamine b deficiency or whatever.

About the time the doctor spends on you. I never get to see my doctor on the time I made the appointment for, as they always run out in spent time with other patients.

I noticed though many expats, especially women, complain about Dutch doctors.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Dutch and the Germans squabbling... never saw that coming.

Hey White/Blue, Oma wants her bike back.

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We love the city that is Holland

VFish repped this.
  7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. Yup, while the favourite topic of Fixed News is in election years how geriatrics in the Netherlands are afraid to go to hospital as they're afraid of being euthanized and parading Dutch descend Americans that with dry eyes claim to have been back and see it themselves:rolleyes:, we still get very much older than Yanks.
    We probably donot kill enough of them as our life expectancy is in the top 5 and also still we get older and older.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Several things:

1. The US has half the population of Europe or as much as your five biggest countries together, so it's a little bit of apples to oranges.

2. The disparities by state, but specially by income are astounding. There's a 10 year gap between the richest 25% and the poorest 25%. Our rich people can expect to live as much as the Dutch or the Germans, while the poor people are probably just ahead of Mexico or Turkey.

[​IMG]

3. Our American exceptionalism requires that we sacrifice a lot of people to guns, car accidents, and of lately, opioids. The life expectancy for somebody aged 20-45 in an at risk region for drug overdoses, is probably in the 50s...

[​IMG]

So, in other words, yeah is terrible, but it is more complex than just a simple average.

10. Funny, when the overwhelming majority of users was coulored it was a crime and resulted in overcrowded jails.
    Since white suburbia is on a fast track to at least catch up with the "rest" of the country, resulting in increasing numbers of white deaths suddenly the mood changes to see it as a "disease", but for now only for the white suburbia.

MotorcycleGang and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. No, it isnot complex.
    You've got money, you have a life.
    You donot have money, you're sentenced to an unhealthy life and early death.

Two sentences. It's as un complex as can be.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    True.

Technically is not white suburbia. The most affected counties are rural or industrial towns, not the areas surrounding big cities.

That's a way to put it, which I don't disagree with completely. But it's still more complicated than what White/Blue portrayed. There are a lot of factors that can change the outcome, including geography, education and income. Yes, all three are connected, but is not a 1+1 equation.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    What a fascinating map. Here's my take: urban centers with easy access to the outdoors have longer life expectancy. And Minnesota.

14. Some time ago now, about 1.5 years agi iirc, the Dutch tv had a report on heroin addiction in high income areas in New England iirc. The cause had to do with easy availability and the price going down.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not saying it is not happening, only that the areas most affected are poor rural or industrial towns.

This NOVA documentary on addiction, focuses mostly on the epidemic in West Virginia:

https://www.pbs.org/video/addiction-afsxne/

By the way, the main cause of the opioid crisis is the over-prescription and easy availability (through more or less legal sources) of pain killers. Big pharma has been extremely happy pushing Oxycodone.

stanger and Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maximum return for shareholders is the American Way.

Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  17. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Unfortunately, a lot of the red and orange on that map is not that hard to explain. Just by eyeballing it, it's clearly tied to a few factors:

1. Being African-American in the deep South
    2. Being American Indian
    3. Living in the heart of Appalachia

18. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, this is imprecise - including "in the deep South" wasn't needed. Lower life expectancy for African-Americans is the reality about everywhere in the country - it shows up on the map in that place because of population patterns.

Auriaprottu and fatbastard repped this.
  19. This has been targeted by Dutch news programms as BPHarma has been increasing their push for use of painkillers and indeed we see it go up. The programms pointed at the very high addictive rates in the USA and the resulting deaths from it.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I'm going to paint some broad brushes and probably (rightfully) get skewered on it wrt Appalachia Kentucky. I lived nearby in my formative years and returned from a climbing trip there a few months ago. A few things stuck out to me.
    • There are a lot of smokers there. A lot. That region missed the whole "Smoking Kills" adverts.
    • Appalachia is still a bit isolated, so my guess is the amount of health care professionals/care centers are fewer and further between than the national average.
    • There are few jobs to attract younger people (Pikeville but that is about it). They all have moved out to larger cities like Columbus, Cincy, Louisville. So the older people skew the average.
    • Going out on a limb but a majority of the jobs that let people stay there (manufacturing plant, logging, strip mining etc) is related to the environmental factors that show up as cancer, leukemia, black lung later on in life. I heard this a few times in school (University of Kentucky) where someone would mention how their drinking water (aka stream) turned green/red/frothy/tasted funny/ etc etc. Eventually it be outed that they lived near a strip mine. smokestack, or manufacturing plant and someone would ask "why don't you move?" The answer was usually the same "They are the only employers around. Where am I supposed to move?"
    • Appalachia has lower income and poorer educational system than the general U.S. population. These characteristics are generally precursors to poorer health.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2018-11-29_19-15-55.jpeg

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You really should tell him what it is you disagree with, instead of just throwing up a dissent meme and running off.

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A freedom to be left out in the streets and die does not enhance your freedom. A lesson the US still has to learn.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States