Health Care Reform Part IV: The Trumpening

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Honestly, he doesn't seem to me to be any different than he ever was. Just a bit more overwhelmed. Like a 5th grader who has a presentation due on a book that they didn't read

The President Of The United States Of America, ladies and gentlemen.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Even though I have learned from psychology papers how people hate to admit mistakes, and will twist and turn and distort reality so as to convince themselves they got it right when they were wrong, I am still amazed by Donald Trump's 30-something approval rating. It should be much lower. If you picked 100 people off the street, 90+ would have worked harder, would be better informed, and would be better representatives for the U.S. He makes mistakes that diligent junior high school students would never make.

So that has been my learning experience, the unwillingness of otherwise reasonable people to admit to their errors. Of course, there is another segment of diehard Trump supporter that embraces his terribleness, because they want a terrible President. They want to give the finger to anything positive. But those aren't the majority of Trump's current supporters ... maybe his initial supporters, yes, but they are nothing like 35% of the overall voter population.

MatthausSammer and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think they could be right but it also could be that Sessions made it impossible for bubblefart to get rid of Kampfgruppe Mueller (Jitty's term, I find funny). Because now there is no way to directly fire Mueller. bubblefart likes to forget that he created this situation by firing Comey and trying to blame Rosenstein.

raza_rebel repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I did that too-- when I was about two years old and desperately seeking some of that status adults seemed to have.

I gave it up as soon as I figured out they weren't just posturing, they actually knew stuff, and I could too if I worked at it.

Like, well before age three I gave it up.

dapip repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I grow less sure of that every day. :(

dapip repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You were advanced for your age. Was talking with the wife yesterday, and we put Trump's emotional maturity at 2nd year pre-school. Four, turning five. But some kindergarteners are behind Trump (typically, the summer birthday boys), and some who have not yet entered pre-school are ahead. Different development speeds.

dapip repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I confess to a bit of wishful thinking with that statement.

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Leave us remember that Trump was a child in the NY area during the heydays of both Casey Stengel and Dwight Eisenhower; princes of the run-on sentence that changes direction three times without ever getting to its destination, or even its verb.

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But they won BIGLY and were admired by millions. Trump only has the easily duped and suckups of America at this point.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, exactly. "Would pass." The Trump administration can't get out of its own way to actually do much of anything.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It depends on what you fear most. My big worry is the demise of democracy as we know it, as the executive branch runs roughshod over the other two branches and establishes authoritarian rule. Donald Trump clearly seems to be a larger threat to do that than Ted Cruz. However, for those who feel that such fears are overblown and that the real danger is that the GOP will get to implement its policies, then Ted Cruz is much worse than Donald Trump. As is Mike Pence, or pretty much any other national GOP conservative. Clown Boy is the left's dream when it comes to getting GOP legislation passed.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, that is why people that hyperventilate about Trump can't argue that Cruz would be worse, because if Trump goes down, then we get President Pence.

You can not (should not) run around screaming the sky is falling and we are losing our democratic institutions and then say but is ok because Trump is useless at doing anything.

I mean we even have a thread that wants to take away the right to vote from Trump voters because of treason, you can not make that argument against Cruz voters.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So Lamar Alexander said today that they don't even have 40 votes for a straight repeal. The more time they waste kicking this dead carcass around the less time they have for other stupid shit.

song219, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At this point, he's the fifth grader who hasn't read the book, but who thinks he's entitled to deliver a TED talk.

flowergirl, Boloni86 and dapip repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As a side note, to the extent that anybody serious still supports Donald Trump (probably not), may I suggest studying California governor Jerry Brown?

1) He has a Democratic majority that is larger than Donald Trump has a Republican majority.

2) But unlike Donald Trump, Jerry Brown refrains from kicking around the opposing party because he's bored or angry or pissy, or pandering to his base, and instead cultivates relationships with them.

3) As a result of those relationships, he got several key Republicans to cross party lines and vote a recent cap-and-trade energy bill, when Jerry Brown's version of the Freedom Caucus (his party's progressive wing) rebelled against the bill.

Leadership. That is how a leader operates -- takes responsibility, knows what is in the bill, puts in the work, gets the job done. Jerry Brown is a leader. The current President is not.

spejic, ceezmad, NORML and 1 other person repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “These guys couldn’t believe it, how much I know about it. I know a lot about health care,” he told the reporters.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The problem is that if they can't pass something with more or less unified support within the GOP, imagine trying to pass more contentious legislation like the Debt Ceiling or the Budget Continuation.

As with the AHCA/ACA repeal, they will have the wing nuts trying to stop the ceiling or killing funding for social programs, while moderates will try to keep the government running and their constituents' programs funded.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "If you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind"
    (Garcia/Hunter, "Franklin's Tower")

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So embarrassing. He's like the kid who is making the speech and thinking he is killing it, while the class is holding back laughter.

dapip and NORML repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Trump is the Florence Foster Jenkins of American politics.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'd be all for electroshock for Cruz voters. Wouldn't go so far as taking their vote away tho. :thumbsup:

dapip repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its his face right?

24. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, Trump cant do that much damage since hes just doing nothing, letting the status quo be. Cruz knows the system and would screw everybody just so he can have that smug look on his fat face.

raza_rebel repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and if anyone says anything about statins I'm gonna slap 'em!

But, yeah... he sounds a bit like my dad a few months before he died.

He was suffering from vascular dementia*. He was in hospital and said we'd left him in the middle of Birmingham, (about 30 miles away), and that he'd had a hell of a job to get back. He'd been in the hospital bed all the time, obviously. He also thought the nurses were his 'staff' and that he could instruct them to attend on his every wish.

It was actually pretty amusing, tbh... with donny tiny hands, somewhat less so IMO.

* And before anyone asks, no, I'm not!