Heading Ban In Youth Games

Discussion in 'Referee' started by liljakec, Nov 10, 2015.

1. liljakec

liljakec New Member

Aug 23, 2015
  2. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    My response... Someone ACTUALLY SUED USSF and FIFA over this? I get that injuries are terrible, especially concussions, but imposing a mandatory ban on headers in U-13 and below (albeit only limited in U11-12), I feel like this is gonna give referees much more headaches, ESPECIALLY in U-11 and 12 matches.

OMGFigo repped this.
  3. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The limited headers is during practice according to the other thread, IIRC

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not a bad idea.
    However, I still maintain the concussions in soccer arise from collisions, not heading the ball.

5. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    #5 threeputzzz, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Since it's going to be banned at u10 and below I assume it would result in an IFK. I think for u9/u10 the heading ban will be the least significant of the upcoming changes. The introduction of the "build-out line" and especially enforcing offside* are going to be the major changes.

For U11/12- no change in the way we referee games, just a mandate that heading in practice be limited. No idea how that will be enforced, or if it will at all, but I assume it's of no concern for referees.

*Edit: The USSF document specifies that U9/U10 will be 7v7 with offside enforced. In a state like Minnesota where we currently play 6v6 without offside, these mandates seem like a step in the wrong direction. In the section that discusses field dimensions it does say that their specifications are maximum sizes only and smaller fields are ok. There is no similar note regarding the number of players, or anything that suggests that offside may optionally not be enforced. I'm curious to see if our state association will seek clarification on that point or if they will simply adopt all the standards as they are written. I am having a hard time imagining ARs on U9/u10 games around here - these games are currently officiated by a single referee who is often not much older than the players. I hope they don't expect that single referee to enforce offside.

6. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Correct, U-10 and below is no headers in any official practice or game. U11-U12 is no headers in practice, but in games are fine.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Sometimes heading is unavoidable and the safest method of play.

So, if a ball is traveling directly towards the head, will handling to avoid head contact be permitted?
    There are a lot of minute details that will need worked out here.

Law5 repped this.
  8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    ....or not. Let's not complicate things. I've worked a ton of U10 and below games and have yet to see a header. I'm sure this change will be more on the coaching side where they will instruct their players to pass on the ground.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I coach a team of 11/10 year olds that score using their head often.
    Currently, kids worry about "back pass" and I see all types of confusion and collisions because the keeper is afraid to pick up the ball if they're not certain who it came from.

I'm worried about kids trying to avoid heading a ball and taking one off the face, etc.

10. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Which would be fine under the new policy right? I don't think 11/10 year olds qualify for the U10 rules being discussed.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The FAQ says "Prohibit heading the ball for children 10 and under..." That would include all U10's and most U11's.

AremRed repped this.
  12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Good point!

13. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to see a banning of slide tackling at this age as well. Along with heading, most kids at this age don't have control of their bodies enough to execute a slide tackle correctly and wind up injuring others or getting cleated themselves.

mwulf67 repped this.
  14. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    AYSO already does 7v7 U10 with offside (all games are supposed to have trained ARs). I'm somewhat ambivalent about whether or not offside at U10 is a good thing. Some players get it, some don't, and the field is pretty small. The greatest benefit is that it serves as good training for ARs who can then move up to U12 and U14 matches much more easily.

But if we had to pay the ARs, I can see how that would be much more difficult to balance the budgetary concerns.

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I don't have any trouble calling offside solo on small field games.

refinDC repped this.
  16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Having coached and reffed u 10, I'm in favor of OS (and think 7v7 is a great size). Playing with OS isn't just about the attackers, but the defenders. It means the defenders can be learning to move up to push attackers back.

(And I agree that for AYSO, one of the side benefits is easing volunteer ARs into the role so that we can get them addicted later ...)

17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some leagues already do and some don't. That is the next thing lawyers will get into no doubt about that. Not all coaches even teach it. Players pick it up on their own from watching soccer on tv. On this site a young Latino male player is looking to get into a college. He made a high light tape and asked coaches to look at it.

I looked at it I did not answer it because he looked like a nice kid, and I did not want to rain on his parade. All he did was a lot of crap slide tackles and no stand up block tackles the kind he can win a ball using.

I do teach it because I don't want to see players hurt using it or any opponents hurt using it. I also teach player how to avoid the slide tackle and still hold the ball.

I wonder what lawyers will sue about next? :)

18. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final 3 FAQs in this document address the substitution changes for DA matches, which go into effect 1/1/16. For those working those games, this is going to be an added burden to what can already be a convoluted process for some (5 subs but at 3 stoppages only). It will also undoubtedly complicate the reporting process, too.

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have a problem with it on Adult games.

refinDC repped this.
  20. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like they are taking a rule out of the NISOA play book.
    On another note, when are we finally going to get 4O's for DA games. Our LAC has told us to not rush the subs in and slow down the process and not add stoppage time for subs in order to force the DA to finally pay for 4O's

That Cherokee repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say never. Particularly as DA has grown to U14 and is growing to U12.

That's the sound of my jaw dropping. That should never be an instruction and I can't imagine your LAC will enjoy it being public.

22. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Especially since it isn't that hard to figure out who his LAC is.

23. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Referees should always take the time to get it right, but that's just crazy. I'm sure your LAC loves you making that public :laugh: Ridiculous of him to think that's his concern and to instruct referees to directly violate the LOTG. With the lack of referees everywhere, expecting DA games to have 4ths is kind of absurd anyway.

24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The typical referee in Minnesota on the majority of U9/U10 games is about 13 or 14 years old with 1 or 2 years experience.

Ickshter repped this.