He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #926 Ashur, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    As I said you have your opinion which you're very vocal about. And one I certainly don't share, even if I can recognize he's disappointed since coming to the fore, for whatever reason. Why that is the case is something I often wonder about and I can think of many possible explanations but this "swollen head" thing, which you are not the first one here to state btw, is baffling to me. A player with a swollen head or bad attitude is pretty much a big time Charlie, as far as I'm concerned. And sorry, I don't see that in the guy unless I'm missing something (and I do not want to hear about the tattoos)..
    Some negatives can be made related to his level of performances (particularly in the past few months) but to make the claim he's a guy with a bad attitude and a big head, is just baffling to me.
    As to your question of 'what his best is', the honest answer is obviously that it is unknown at this time. And what I was simply suggesting to you was that if you can't recognize that these last 6-7mos have clearly been his worst period with United since he's been promoted to the first team, then that is evidence of some bias against the guy, considering some of the things he's done in the past.
    I will add that it is interesting comparing his play with England vs United, particularly as of late and he still can put in decent displays for England and does not appear to be able to put one foot in front of the other with United.
    And secondly, it's clear that Ole believes in him (almost to a fault it can be argued) but it's strange yet telling that a coach like Ole, who was considered a pretty good striker in his time, has been unable to teach him the first thing about being a proper 9 and as a matter of fact regressed more, to the point he's looking very mediocre, more so than he ever did under van Gaal or Mourinho. Things, for me at least, that give me pause and are worth taking into consideration.

2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford needed a coach that would manage him well, give him a spotlight but not force him to carry the weight of the club. LvG was the guy. United needed to replace him with someone who develops players. Instead, they stuck him with Mourinho, who doesn’t really nurture young talent. Now Ole, and to be fair the British press, have made Rashford the focal point of the club. Kinda sucks for him, tbh. The criticism, deserved based on play, is too bad because he was poorly packaged as the next big thing.

3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting discussion from the Sky panel on Rashford.

Becoming more and more obvious that being a lone 9 is definitely not where his destiny ultimately lies. He pretty much said as much himself earlier in the season. Whether it's out wide or part of a 2 up front, that's where he's really at his best and that's how he should be deployed going forward.

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Credit him for the goals but thats that .. his overall play passing decision making was average...

jnielsen repped this.
  7. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Only thing that proves is souness is thick as fcuk.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

35% of his goals in league play have come against big 6 oppo, which backs what Mourinho says in the vid above. Again, I'm curious how much work Ole put in in trying to improve him, particularly in terms of his movement/presence in the box. Maybe he has and it's something that is simply not in his locker, but playing him as a lone 9 just does not appear to be suited to him in the least. And when it's all said and done, that is fine as he has other attributes that still make him a very good (and dangerous) player.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not a surprise. Rash like our tactics in general, operates well when we counter and there is space.

Rash, like us as a team, struggles against teams that bunker as he is just not a #9 target man. He can't play with his back to goal, he doesn't physically bully CBs etc.

So for Rash to be more sucessfull against the lesser we either need to play him with a true #9. Could do that to some extent with Martial or as he develops Greenwood.

Or we need to go with one of those systems with all mobile strikers, but they have to be supported by mids and attacking full-backs who can do the intricate edge of the box stuff (ie like City / Liverpool do).

Hopefully Martial coming back as the #9 and if Ole sticks with a two-striker system, then Rash can be more effective against other teams too.

10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Compare him to a WF in a functional team and his stats are ok.

Compare him to a #9 in a functional team and his stats are off.

Had he scored the pens would look better. Definitely better with Martial back.

1188785704584785925 is not a valid tweet id

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    2 goals on opening day
    3rd goal after a month+ gap
    4th goal after another month+ gap
    5th goal in next match ! Consistency finally !! when you are only Cf in lineup (90%) are bad stats compare to Pool 3 Fwd lineup and Salah Mane overall play is twice of Rashford.

I hate it when he scores the bandwagon machines starts druming n pulling out every possible stats to hype him including early days of Rooney Ronaldo when clearly both of them were 200% better players with better brains.

I dont hate the lad but he is not what everyone makes him out to be. I want him to do well but he needs hell lot of learning and pls dont give me still only 21yr old bullshit..

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was playing as a #9 lone-striker in a dysfunctional team;

- a #10 in Lingard or Mata who offer zero support
    - without Pogba, zero creativity in midfield
    - only occasional support from Dan James as our other wing-forward, options very limited
    - consequently not much chance creation

He deserves some criticism for sure - on the pens, some missed chances, he needs to improve his left-foot finishing etc.

However I tend to think a lot of the criticism is over the top. The broken lone-striker system he was deployed in was on injuries/Ole and the striker problem we have and midfield creation problem is on Woodward. Scapegoat.

13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Martial has gone into this season knowing he will be the 9 and he's adopted that mindset, making the right runs and accepting the responsibility of trying to create for others or play with his back to goal. Rashford clearly can't just switch from one mindset to another, he wants to be a WF even when he plays 9. He was dealt a shitty hand with some of the lineups, but also he compounded our ineffectiveness through poor movement and holdup play.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The best thing Ole could do for Rashfords development is buy another 9 to cover for Martial when he gets his next inevitable injury. Rashford is a WF, not a 9. He doesn’t have the instincts, movement, or finishing to play there. But he could still be a very good WF if he improves his decision making.

15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I agree some of the criticism has been over the top but so has been case when it comes to praises.

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    that was literally only by one person. and he was quite the dunce

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://therepublikofmancunia.com/rashford-gets-stick-but-keeps-banging-them-in/

As long as we can keep him out of the (lone) CF spot as much as possible (something that hopefully we can remedy in January), I feel he's in an excellent position for genuine progress this season.
    As it's been said before, and as today showed once again, there is definitely something there, more than just a Welbeck Mk2 (and I say that as a fan of Welbz personally).
    Maybe one day, he can grow into a solid 9 but I wouldn't worry about that. And tbf, I really don't believe he does either (Ole was the one trying to push that narrative more than anyone else by the looks of it). He needs coaching, that much is clear, but also let him grow into his own also: and that holds particularly true for where/how to play him (something that even Southgate has figured out a while back).
    Happy birthday to him and long may his recent form continue.

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Wow terrific angle to capture the movement..I hope his over all game grows aswell like Ole said he tends to practice FK/Long shots more.

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This would explain a lot

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    despite the warranted criticisms of his finishing and the many doubts at the start of the season he might actually get 20 a season.

he's at 6 in the last 7 now (8 total) and we're about 1/3 of the way. even if his form is patchy throughout by extrapolation he should get there. hopefully the break doesn't slow his momentum. he's been good of late.

whether it will be enough is another question

Sofabloke repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Different player but reminds me of Andy Cole in the sense of frustration over the finishing. Both make up for it in numbers by their spike - intelligent movement for Cole and pace for Rashford.

For both cant help but think of some of the simple chances missed, but they both contributed significantly to the attack. Especially when paired with a better finisher (Yorke & Martial).

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    One thing is clear he will be a waste as 9 and if he and Martial can get 20 + goals we could build on that in summer with better support from midfield and FBs.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC