He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Not good enough

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    ironic thread title given he hasn't looked further from scoring for us in the current form than ever before (at least that i can remember).

again, i am fine with taking him out for a while. him ploughing through the bad form isn't going to happen. give him sub mins for now. unfortunately we will need Martial back to even consider that.

in his defence i will say that for most of his tenure here the situation has been one where we are depending on him to rescue games and deliver as a regular which i maintain is unfair on the youth. at least for a season he had Ibrahimović and Mkhitaryan others as mentors and to share the scoring burden.

we need to be careful with Greenwood in this regard as well. really he should be brought on in a team where he can express himself freely like when Welbeck was integrated

3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    It sounds like an excuse to me but I could be wrong.

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    That couple of months last season under ole gave all of us hope and we all started perceiving he will kick on next season, before ole i feared he will be another welbeck or walcott and might be playing for crystal palace ib few yrs and to be honest its all starting coming back... again.

5. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What I find disconcerting about Rashford is how much he's regressed in the past few months, when he really should be hitting his stride. Don't know what caused it: whether it's injuries, or lack of confidence and proper coaching.
    It probably is a combination of all 3 but what is surprising is that he's another player who has faded badly just when Ole signed permanently. One would think that Ole would be the perfect coach for him, in terms of helping him improve in terms of his CF play but it's hardly been the case. Ole obviously has shown confidence in him, but we're seeing little in terms of him improving upfront and he's going backwards.
    Given our current issues with injuries and so few available players upfront, not exactly sure what the correct answer is in terms of how to handle him for the time being. I believe he needs to be taken out of the line of fire as much as position for now since he's not 100% physically and looks devoid of confidence. Ole needs to play him on the flanks with someone else at the 9 spot, until he's regained some type of form/confidence in his game. He's just a waste at CF right now, with his displays doing nothing either for him or the team in general.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t see anything in Rashfords game that tells me he will ever be able to lead the line at United. If you look around Europe what other big team has a 9 that’s not at least a decent finisher? He could maybe get away with it if he was world class in his link up play like Benz or Firmino but he isn’t and we don’t have other world class attackers around him to prop him up.

With that said, I do think he can be a very good wing forward or 9 in a two forward system. Ideally he would be our LW which gives him the ability to make run in behind the 9 and when he has the ball he’s still decent at cutting inside and shooting. Playing at LW plays to his strengths and masks his deficiencies. Rash, Martial, and Sancho could still be a very successful and dangerous front 3, although it’s clear by now that we need a decent backup 9 because Martial can’t stay healthy.

doubletrouble repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That forward line is tantalizing, but not enough goals. Our doesnt offer goals either.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree and disagree. I think a full season of a healthy Martial with an offense that creates chances can be a 20+ goal scorer. If we get a handful out of our wingers and a respectable number from whoever plays the 10 I think we’d be fine.

benni... repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    piss off with your nonsense

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    [emoji1787][emoji1787]

12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Thats welbeck esque or worst. People should stop comparing him with Ronaldo Rooney etc they were better overall players than Rash and very good passer of the ball in final third. For a 9 he cant finish, dosnt make clever runs, cant holdup the ball to integrate with other players and passing is bang bang avg.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Welbeck was very good at moving in and around the box.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i'm not sure anyone compared him to either Rooney or Ronaldo either. at least not here

benni... repped this.
  15. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    How quickly you’ve forgotten...

16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yup

17. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Someone is using the bathroom

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He was a good ball carrier but he had a similar problem like Rashford ..finishing and decision making in final third.. He could sprint 40-50 yrd and then fall over the ball 2 yards away from goalie...pretty much like Rashford.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It does start with him. And it's all well and good that he came back from injury sooner than expected (particularly with all the injuries we already have upfront), but it's evident that he does not look anywhere near his best.
    And his presence has not helped the team, on the contrary. As such, really wished he could have withdrawn from the England squad, so he can get himself right both physically and mentally for the upcoming games for United which, it goes without saying, will be vital.

20. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    What's his best though?

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He needs Martial back. Rashford doesn’t have the ability to be the focal point in an attack unless that formation is using two strikers.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you actually believe that what we're seeing from him now is his best or what can be expected from him, there's nothing more to talk about.
    I get that you're firmly in the camp of guys who don't rate him at all and that is your opinion. But whether it's with United or England, Rashford is simply capable of a lot more (and we've seen it).
    I agree with the general consensus that playing him as a 9 (a lone one at least) clearly does not suit him. And he works best playing in tandem with another striker or out wide as a LWF. He still has lots he needs to work on and is nowhere near the finished article, but I won't waver yet on my belief there is a quality player there.

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I dont know what to make of him but he will never be an elite striker or winger or whatever you want him to be .. but most of ashur assertions are subjective.. Tommy abraham meanwhile on 8 goals in early october and 2 goal away from Rashford best tally.

24. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    1. I asked a simple question, you jumped to a conclusion. My reason for asking the question was based on us saying stuff like "Imagine how he will be in two years". We were wondering then and we are wondering now.
    If back then we didn't know and he has gone downhill now I will ask again.
    What is his best?

2. I was one of those firmly in the camp of those who rated him and that was based off watching the youth games. When he made his debut my friends who don't follow the club religiously like I do asked me about him and I told them his attributes. He showcased exactly what I mentioned to them.
    He has now fallen way below in ability now and I criticize him for it simply because his head got swollen. I will not blindly support him because he's from our academy, sorry.

25. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    That's the thing. I thought he would've been an elite striker/winger. His form and attitude has shown me different. The excuses I hear for him also adds to the frustration.