He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think a lot of that was just Italians being insulted that they didn't have a single decent Italian striker so they were talking him up.

Truth is Italy hasn't had a decent striker leading the line for some time now. I know they have some good guys coming up like Cutrone and Kean but whos been the go-to guy there in recent years? Balotelli? Quaq? Immobile? Thats really weak for a nation that produces such good footballers.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Balotelli is their best striker and he was blackballed before Mancini got the job. He is more than adequate. He is a difference maker.

Last time Italy were any good, he was leading the line.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    IMO Balotelli is very average and theres' a reason he was blackballed, because he's clashed with just about every manager he's ever had. He has the ego of a guy thats accomplished things on the level of Messi and Ronaldo with a fraction of the production. He showed flashes of being a top talent during his time at Inter and City and then his lack of work ethic saw him stall out. Talent only gets you so far.

Hes only really been successful in Ligue 1. That should tell you a lot about his level. But I agree that he's been Italy's best striker for the past 4 or 5 years. But that says more about their forwards quality than his.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think it's out of bounds to say that Balotelli has been his own worst enemy in his career. His talent is undeniable and if his career has never reached the heights it should have, it's mainly because of his attitude, the diva antics, the fact he couldn't get along with any of his coaches etc...
    The flashes of brilliance he's shown, whether it's with Italy (Euros 2012 for instance) or at club level, be it with Inter or even with City are precisely proof of that. There have been some legitimate disappointments in the game recently, but Balotelli for me will always remain one of the biggest ones, because he really could have had an incredible career if he wanted to.

5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I find talk of balotelli being blackballed to be highly offensive.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I can agree his behavior in the past. But you cant claim he hasn't produced relative to his appearances. He basically has something like 20 something goals in 50 something appearances for 3 different clubs.

You always say this, weak league, so he must not be good league. You are the only one that believes that nonsense, so try something else.

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Too bad. The truth can hurt.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I keep saying it because it's still true. Prove me wrong.

How have French teams done in Europe compared to the other top leagues?

I can give you handfuls of examples of players that fail to produce in other top leagues but are wildly successful in Ligue 1. Especially when you compare PL vs Ligue 1. Hell, just look at the top 10 scorers in the league for the past 5 or 6 years in Ligue 1. There's always 2 or 3 PL flops in that list.

So go ahead, show me I'm wrong. I'll happily concede and reassess my stance if you provide a strong argument.

9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    There is a glaring lack of nr 9 throughout europe and England somehow has Kane. Spain Holland Italy are all lacking genuine CF except for France who have abundance of talent at most positions.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    French teams have made the quarter finals of the CL pretty consistently. Wasnt it just two years ago, Monaco knocked out City? Wasnt it this year that Lyon beat City in their own home? That Lyon team that won 7 titles in a row were regular contestants in the KO rounds.

Thats not the right question. Its the players were talking about. Top clubs raid the French League for talent all the time. I dont even get how you can disagree with that. The list of successs vs failures, especially when it comes to top clubs, doesnt favor you. Otherwise English clubs would not invest in players like Mahrez and Kante [both of who are now EPL winners] and Umtiti's and the Fekir's of the world.

This is a pointless exercise. You can find players for both cases. In all leagues.

People would say dont buy from Dutch League, but Uniteds best striker since the 90's came from the Dutch League. Park, not a world class player, finished third place in the world cup with Korea, then went to the CL semi final with PSV, then went on to have a long career here and win plenty

People would say the Portugese league is weak, but one of, if not our best ever player was purchased from there.

Honestly just seems like people jump on this bandwagon idea of weaker leagues, it gets frustrating.

So if we cant buy players from these supposedly shit leagues, where are we supposed to get players from? Barca and Madrid or Italy? Are you actually thinking about this, or are you still upset?

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Oh sorry, remind me how English teams have done before this season?
    How have United and City done before this season?

Your example is flawed because the players you refer to played for shit teams in England who ended up getting relegated. They only signed them because of the money of the EPL.

At the same time, I can point out players who were remarkably average in other European leagues or came from weak leagues and are at the top of the EPL scoring charts. Like PEA and Sadio Mane who went from Austria to England.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ok, lets dissect this....

1. First off, I find it amusing you tell me I'm not asking the right question when you've missed the point completely. I've never once said there aren't any good players in Ligue 1. Never. I said that top to bottom its a very weak league. Thats why a lot of mediocre players post their best numbers there...because the opposition they are playing against are generally not at a high level. Thats why when I make the argument to throw out production numbers of a player who has failed or been subpar in other league, but then go to Ligue 1 and lead the league in scoring, its justified because the sample size is there. For players that have always played in Ligue 1, I don't immediately say they're trash, but I'm hesitant similar to players from the Dutch league. Good example, Lacazette. I thought he was a very good player but was hesitant because he hadn't proved it against tougher competition. I think thats fair.

2. As far my comment on players that succeed in Ligue 1 and fail everywhere else and you say "you can find players of both case, in all leagues". Sure you can. There are special cases in every argument. But this is a general statement about that league and you see WAY more cases of that in Ligue 1 than anywhere else. Just looking at last season there are 4 players in the top 10 of scoring that failed in leagues that are generally rated as tougher leagues. Depay, Falcao, Thauvin, Balotelli. Go back a few more years and you can add Ben Arfa, Gomis, Batshuayi to the list as well. Its a trend thats there every season. Will you find examples of this in other leagues? Sure, but not nearly as obvious or often. Did those payers I mention only fail because the league was too tough? No, there are always specific circumstances but its still a clear trend.

3. The rest of what you posted is just a a basic failure to understand my stance so I'll repeat that, Im not saying all players there are bad. Im saying the league as a whole is weak so slightly above average players put up inflated numbers there. So when I saw its a weak league, I mean the average mean level of talent there is below Italy, Spain, England, Germany, by some ways. So your countless examples of players that are good in a bad league don't really change my stance.

How have English teams done in Europe before this season? Lets see how many English teams have been in the CL final since the last French team was there in 2004...4 teams a total of 8 times. Pretty big difference there.

Then you make an argument that the only reason the guys in the top 10 scoring failed is because they played for "shit teams in England that got relegated". So United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City are shit teams that got relegated? Because those are some of the teams the guys I listed played for in England. Of those I listed, none of them were on relegated team.

So....not strong arguments. I like you benni, but if you're going to be a condescending smartass, come with better arguments.

13. Benni, are you trying to make people understand a club buys a player, not a league, so the quality of the player matters, not that of the league.:ROFLMAO:
    Those people would have rejected Ruud van Nistelrooij, Dennis Bergkamp, Robin van Persie, Virgil van Dijk because they've the opinion the league sucks.
    Wish club managers with big purses thought that way. We would have a bunch of Euro silverware more in our Dutch club trophy rooms than those measly couple we now have.
    Alas.
    Edit: Those are a few Dutchmen.
    Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Eriksen..etcetera etcetera

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and benni... repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The argument benni is making is against himself. Nobody has opposed what he's saying. He invented the other side of the argument. Never once did I say don't buy players from weaker leagues. Not once.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rashford has been named for the PFA Young Player of the Year along with: Raheem Sterling, Trent Alexander-Arnold, David Brooks, Declan Rice and Bernardo Silva
    Very much a longshot at best to win, but well done on him to even get the nomination.

16. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    What the shit is sterling doing on that list? He's 24. That's not really a young player anymore. Same goes for B. Silva.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both players were 23 when the season started, therefore making them eligible. May not be completely right, but that's the rule as it stands.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sterling should win in a landslide. He's taken a big step forward this season.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's nominated for the Player of the Year award as well with van Dijk, Aguero, Hazard, Mane and B. Silva.
    He has an outside chance to win both awards. Between him and van Dijk for that one.

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If City win the title, Aguero should get POTY.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #771 Ashur, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Aguero may have a solid claim but it's certainly not cut and dry either. Sterling is having an amazing season in his own right and it can be argued that he's been City's most influential player this term.
    Aguero has 19 league goals and 6 assists, while Raz's tally is at 17/11.

22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sterling for YPOTY and Aguero for POTY. No intricate calculations are required to reach those conclusions.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The questions Rashford must consider when deliberating a new contract for United.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s-manchester-uniteds-marcus-rashford-16157202

As noted previously, Rashford is in a (pretty enviable) position right now. Don't doubt that he's loyal to the club and his preference is to stay. But he has to do what's best for him and his long term career all the same and can't be faulted for taking a step back and analyzing the options open to him.
    Still very confident he will re-up with United though: the club can't afford to let him go.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Brother, I only questioned you because over the years, you have expressed these thoguhts before when a player from such league is referenced. I know you're gonna ask me for proof, but I cant be bothered to look. Im just not buying that logic anymore.

As far as Balo is concerned, he wasnt a failure at Inter or at City. I think youre harsh. He certainly did well when called up for Italy.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My problem with your response is that you missed what I was saying completely and created a different argument. I don't disregard every player from that league and I certainly don't think we shouldn't buy from there.

My argument is the league as a whole is very weak, so players without a sample size of being successful in tougher leagues but succeed there make me cautious because of how weak the league is. As for Balo, I even said he showed promise at Inter at City but then failed at a handful of clubs before being a top scorer in Ligue 1.

We can disagree to the quality of the league, but some of the things you defended are arguments I never made.