He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You are not going to get thru to him. His logic:

"Rashford he’s well ahead of Kane at the same age"

should already be a red flag.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like how Ole just called out Rashford publically, with things he needs to improve (clearly) but in a positive tone. That's the proper way to challenge people.

benni... and J'can repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's just one game but should we go with rashford as our permanent penalty taker? Pogba's way of taking penalty always makes me unsettled.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #682 Ashur, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Unless Pogba changes his technique, I would tbh. The way Pogs takes Pks is unnerving because it reflects a certain lack of confidence in himself (for lack of a better term) that flies in contradiction with the player we normally see.
    Lukaku historically is just not the best penalty taker, so for me it would be either Rashford or Martial who should be given the responsibility to take them. Rash has only taken one, but under the circumstances, he definitely showed some credentials for the role. Martial has proved efficient with them also whenever he's taken them as well.

Anonymous_United and United 16 repped this.
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Rashford hits it with speed and less finesse, i would still go with Martial.

johno repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm happy for Pogba to take penalties. Rashford hit that one, but Pogba's confidence is bullet proof.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rashford hits the ball with power but he knows where it's going also, which is a characteristic you can't really argue with when it comes to penalty kicks.
    As mentioned, I have no issue whatsoever with Martial being the designated penalty kick taker for us considering his track record in that area.
    He's taken them a handful of times at minimum and I believe he's only missed once. He looks assured, composed when taking them as well, which indicates he relishes the responsibility as well. With him becoming a regular now, he'd probably be my pick (with either Rashford or Pogba as his deputy if/when he's not available).

11. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It takes a footballer of a sufficiently high IQ to take pk's.

Rashford and Pogba are the two best men for the job.

12. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    He's also barely batting above 50% at penalties.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it, but I don't feel Pogba to be a lock when he takes penalties. That run up of his makes it all worse also IMO as far as he's concerned. I get the logic behind it (trying to figure out which way the keeper is going), but at the same time, any keeper worth his salt will know how to counter that and gain the upper hand over him the more he sticks with that technique. As much as I don't like it, a stutter step like CRon or Neymar use, appears to be far more effective.
    Rashford's sample is very limited so I will not say definitely that he should be the guy, but when you watch Martial take his Pks, I definitely feel very secure and confident that he will bury it every single time. Something I can not say with Pogba.

incighte repped this.
  14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When you look at Rashford's other set piece taking, hell no to him being the regular taker.

Not that I'm on the Pogba train either.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't generally take penalties as you would freekicks, so that's not a valid factor to discount Rashford either. As far as I recall, the one he took vs PSG was the first one we saw him take, so that's why I would hold back in making him our official pk taker.
    But when do consider the magnitude of the one he did take, how he looked unfazed and hit the ball as true as he did at such a big moment, it has me curious and I'd like to see more, if nothing else.

16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Head down and thump it does not make you a good penalty taker, and it's not indicative of someone who should be the regular penalty taker. It just looks good when it goes in.

J'can and johno repped this.
  17. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Some of you here are just hating on Rashford.

He had a long run up - something I actually dislike in a PK taker - but he stared Buffon down the entire run up until two-three strides before the penalty.

His head wasn't down and he didn't just thump it. He picked a side and thumped it. Buffon dove the correct direction and still couldn't save it. Hell, I'd put money on Buffon not saving it if he gets a single hand to it. That ball needs to hit the keeper dead on to have any chance of being saved.

18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    This reads like you've really grasped the intricacies of Rashford's penalty technique. I stand corrected.

19. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lukaku should take the penalties honestly. I'm always a fan of the best finishers taking the penalties. Pogba is ok but he tries to do too much in the run up. Rashford doesn't have the finishing or the finesse. Even the one he scored against PSG was at a saveable height and location, he just did what he does and hit it as hard as he could.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is notoriously far from a sure thing when it comes to penalties. He really should not be in contention to take them regularly for us.
    We can argue all day about Rashford's quality as a penalty taker, but the only times he's taken a Pk (with United this week and before for England in their shootout vs Colombia), he's confidently buried both with power and precision. Both tries arguably were also under pressure situations. He doesn't mind the pressure obviously and that alone makes him a viable candidate in my book. The only reason he's not the guy there be it with United and England, is because he's still so young and inexperienced.
    Still maintain however that at this time, Martial would perhaps be the more sound choice. Lukaku would be nowhere near the top truth be told. The fact that he's not as a starting CF says alot: Mata, who's not even a regular has taken Pks ahead of him. Same applies with Belgium btw...

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    That pen v Colombia is far better to be fair. It may be the angle of the PSG pen that makes it look more lumpen, as well as the fact it was quite central and the keeper guessed correctly. Small sample size - if Rash takes 5 more and they're all closer to the post than that one, I'll be fine with him - but I'd expect an erratic spread or that he hits too many centrally like this and gets caught out.

I would still prefer Martial taking the pens, he's on 8/10 in his career and you're better off having someone who is cold and a natural finisher as your first choice.

Anonymous_United and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My preferred taker list:

Martial
    Pogba
    Rashford

If we are in a shoot out:

Rashford
    Martial
    Lukaku/Jesse
    Ander/Juan
    Pogba

jeff070 repped this.
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't know how I forgot about Martial. He should be #1.

24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I don’t know why it always has to be an attacking player. Lindelof could be our best pk taker for all we know.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he really was, he would be our prime pk taker. It's not like it's never happened before. After all guys like Koeman or Frank de Boer just to name those 2 were the designated guys for their teams at one point or another...