He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe, and perhaps I should hope so. But what I really hope is for us have four 20+ goal scorers. If we get so reliant on one scorer, bad things can happen if he goes down. (See Liverpool when Ramos took out Salah.) On the other hand, there’s nothing quite like seeing a striker launch a 40+ goal haul.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Possibly, but I don't see it. He's not clinical enough in front of net. Those guys all have a high conversion rate.

That doesn't mean Rashford can't be great. Rashs potential is how much he can add to his attack being pacy, good on the ball, and decent with link up play. He need to inprove his decision making, holdup play, and finishing but he's improving all the time.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next season will be interesting and one I'm looking forward to in regards to Rashford. Not out of bounds he could hit 20 goals (or very close to it) in all competitions this season.
    Next season, if he keeps the starting CF job from the start, he could have his official breakout season (way earlier than the strikers above I might add).

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @gatekeeper2 Next season im 100% sure Rashford will socre atleast 20 in the league. We have Martial Lukaku who can play CF and Sanchez aswell (i dont think we will be able to offload him in summer) I believe Martial can score 20 from wings and Pogba is currently on 11 goals and very possible he may reach 20 goals this season. Not sure Jesse can score 20 from RWF with him tracking back alot .. So next season if Pogs Martial Rashford can provide 20 goals we may be able to compete for title.. and then we have aswell Lukaku.

@MizzouFC Yes he missed 16-17 straight 1vs1 but since ole he is playing with more confidence and improving fast, his holdup play and decision making will also improve in time. Salah and Kane are prime modern example of player having breakthrough season and never looking back im very hopeful Raahford is the same case model but he is only 21 so he may require atleast 2 more seasons to get matured in CF position and then bang 30-40 goals per season although his conversation ratio needs to improve every year.

@Ashur If we reset our season with ole at helm Rashford would have atleast 6-7 more goals and same for Pogs. Im very optimistic about all of our offensive payers for next season.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All good points.

I’d like to keep the goal haul spread around for the obvious reasons. Rashford is on the way up but I see him more at the Kane level eventually rather than the Henry/Ruud level. Martial could go all world on us if he continues to improve the cut of his jib.

The one offensive player I’m losing confidence in is Sanchez. He had it but he may have lost it. Maybe it’s been obvious to others for a while but I really thought it was just a matter of getting rid of a Jose, but so far he has yet to find his former glory under Ole. We shall see.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    An outstanding young footballer, is he not?

By all means let’s criticize him for missing on glorious chances, but I hope we can see way past flogging his character or mentality. Marcus stick it out through a rough patch with Jose and never once disgraced the club on or off the pitch.

11. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    By far our best prospect to be a world beater. When he adds consistency to his game, and sharpens up his back to goal movement, he'll be unplayable.

gatekeeper2 repped this.
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, completely. In terms of where Rashford and Kane are/were at the same, Rashford is miles ahead in his development.

The boy is on a path to greatness. We shall find out if fulfills his obviously incredible potential.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/rashfo...essor-for-barcelona/295z0zjg2mq31qmaurzcvxwe5

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    what's up with Marcus poor hair cut?

johno repped this.
  16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed this too. The moment he debuted his sad excuse for a fade he started banging the goals in though. Long may the questionable haircuts continue!

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    same barber as Joleon Lescott

Anonymous_United and johno repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So Marcus has had a decent year and he's definitely done better since Ole got here. He's embracing his role as a more central player, both in terms of his role in the team and the position he occupies on the pitch.

However Marcus HAS to improve in some areas.

His shot selection is woeful. Given his ability in link-play, his ability to dribble and his ability to cross, there's no reason he takes as many shots from terrible shooting positions as he does. Confidence is good, but there's a time and place for speculative shots and he seems to think that time is always.

Part of the reason it is bad he's taking so many bad shots (to be specific, shots from wide at the edge of the box seem to be his kryptonite) is that it kills our attacks, but the other reason it sucks is that it means he's in a bad position to begin with and it isn't clicking that he needs to lay the ball off to someone else and make a run into a useful area.

Rashford's movement in general has improved. He's shown improvement in his movement when we are on the counter. Some of that is that he's playing more centrally so he's in a better starting position, but I can see him developing some nous there.

The type of goal that Martial or Lukaku or the type of chance that Sanchez will get on the end of, in the box in the 2nd or 3rd phase of play seem beyond Marcus. We're really going to need Ole to work on that with him. He can start by passing up those bad shots and recycling possession in order to take up another position.

It is tricky though because I don't want to turn him into a robot. He doesn't need to play the way Ole did because he can do things that Ole never could. We don't want to stop him from taking on players either, we just need him to do it when it is advantageous and then work on repositioning. It is almost like he's constantly stuck in hero mode.

EDIT: That said, I've hope for him now when I had little before (becoming a top top player).

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Saw a Gaz meets Giggs to discuss some old games piece on tv and one of the things they talked about was crossing. Context being number of goals scored by midfielders getting into box.

Apparently SAF absolutely insisted the striker make a near post run, partly to obvs see if they can score but also to drag defenders and create space behind.

We score too few tap-ins / ugly goals as Ole pointed out. Part of this is movement from our strikers. If Marcus is to be our #9 he has to do more near-post runs too.

jeff070, J'can, Anonymous_United and 2 others repped this.
  22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup. I very nearly wrote in my post that Marcus rarely scores the kind of chance Aguero missed the other day against Chelsea at the door step. That's a hallmark of Citeh's play, those tap ins. Obviously we don't need to score them all the time, but we definitely can do a better job of it and it starts with movement from the forwards.

J'can and Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Part of citeh offensive setup is to cross low balls into box..

Completely agree with Johno SofBloke on Rash he needs to improve alot to be a goal machine and contribute more as a team player, it wont come instantly as its a learning curve but hopefully in few years time he will mature CF position and can become top top striker in europe.

24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The criticism of Rashford, who’s been described by more than poster here as having a “low IQ” and who’s still taking abuse even now, is mind-boggling.

No, he’s not the next Messi or Ronaldo, but Rashford he’s well ahead of Kane at the same age, was just named player of the month and belongs on the stage he will occupy tonight. We’ll see how the future unfolds, but there’s every reason to believe that the future is very bright for him.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @Gatekeeper no one wants him to fail and noby expects him to become complete player at 21.We are stating our observations and how he can improve and become top top CF..

United 16 repped this.