He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #551 Ashur, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    It's not convenient, it's simply the reality. I'm not looking to pile on Mourinho because it's the in thing to do, or because most people already do so.
    The fact is that if we take a long at our offensive players and their outputs compared to last season, all of them, with the exception of Martial have taken massive steps backwards.
    If it was just Rashford, we might have placed the blame other than Mourinho, but Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard, even Mata who all performed well for portions of last season, statistically at least (Sanchez being the exception since he did not join us until midseason) have regressed.
    That can not be down to coincidence and you add to that, the likes of Lukaku, Lingard and Rashford seem to be performing better in their national team setup, it's not difficult to place the blame on Mourinho then. And more than the others, Rashford at just 21 is at an age where good coaching is vital to his progression as a player.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not a coincidence.

Lingard has been injured for portions of this season. Mata barely plays. Lukaku has always been streaky.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be that as it may, it still does not explain why Lingard, despite his injury issues, has looked a different player with England this season. It does not explain why the same can be said about Lukaku with Belgium this term.And yes, he's always been streaky, but he appears to be taking it at a whole new level this season.
    Same goes for Rashford also when it comes to his England vs United form and confidence level. I could accept that all these players may not be as good as they're made out to be, if they consistently showed bad form across the board, but when they appear to magically rediscover their form or quality once they leave United, it becomes hard not to see what the problem and common denominator is.

4. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lingard - like i said with Rashford, it was just 2 games and one of them was off the bench.

Lukakau looked the same even when with Everton. A lot better with Belgium.

I dont see it as magically rediscovering form. I see it wlas less pressure. In Lukaku 's case, with great teammates

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #555 Ashur, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    That's fine, we'll just agree to disagree then, because from my point of view, this contrast of form between United and national team performance levels is something that has been very apparent from the second half of last season on, not just this season, where it's just been even clearer to me.
    Several players performing way below their normal or expected levels with United is simply not happenstance the way I see it. Which is partly why I am so adamant for a new guy to come in at this point. I'd be willing to turn over the reigns to McKenna and Carrick for the remainder of the season just to try it, when I was against it previously...
    No one among our midfielders or forwards, except for Martial, are performing to expectations (either that or they're just poor/mediocre to begin with): that is as bad as it gets and no coincidence. The few who might bring something (AP and to a lesser extent Herrera, Fred) Mourinho refuses to play them. That says everything we need to know about his handling of players and how he can't/won't put his prejudices aside for the good of the team.
    A guy like that is not concerned with Rashford becoming a better player or who he should be. All he cares about is that he plays the way he wants, even if it stifles his natural style completely. How is Rashford supposed to progress as a player, under those circumstances?

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Since when been Lingard excellent for England.. a tap in into empty net .. "looked diff player" more of myth to me.. the truth is lingard or rashford will not make city bench..

I was watching scholes ferdy post youngboys and they were livid with Jose reaction after Rashford misses 1 on 1 .. what do you expect from the manager who sees him missing goals after goals.. i dont expect him to score 10/10 but fecking hell be score atleast half of them .. does he needs to be coached to finish off chances now then he should play for midtable or bottom club..and easy conveniences would be to blame it all on Jose/coaching staff..

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Rashford gets away with his shit play simply because he's from our academy and his first season heroics has probably blinded many of our fans. That Rashford was hungry and desperate to prove himself. The Rashford that got all those endorsements and made him thinks he's on the levels of Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar has helped ruin him.

Anonymous_United and Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    The guy is comparing Rashford to Januzaj.

How do you debate that kind of stupidity? He literally said Januzaj had arguably a bigger impact on the club. What next, Macheda is more important to our title in 07/08 than Rooney was?

Okay, stats:

Martial for United (23 on Dec. 5): 43 goals / 26 assists / 10,157 minutes / 91 min per 'point'
    Rashford for United (21 on Oct. 31): 34 goals / 18 assists / 8,026 minutes / 93 min per 'point'
    Januzaj for United: 5 goals / 6 assists / 3,376 minutes / 211 min per 'point'

Their stats are VERY similar despite Rashford being two years earlier in his development than Martial. It's also worth noting, if I had done this stat 2 months ago, it'd be lopsided in favor of Rashford, as Martial has hit a 'spurt' of good form - finally.

Rashford can play across the front line. He's a better carrier of the ball in transition, he is a better shooter at distance than Martial, he has a better short passing game, better long passing game, he's a better free kick taker, he's so much better at moving off the ball - it's not even a competition. Rashford is the first one to make runs on our time, every, single, possession. Watch him, next time Pogba gets the ball. Pogba takes one touch, Rashford is through, Pogba takes two, three, four, five more touches, and then passes to Martial or Lukaku.

At least what I'm saying is statistically proven to have a foundation in reality. Don't know what the ******** the other bloke is on about; but he's flaming nonsense from his arse.

It's also funny to me - Jose was to blame for Pogba being shit, he's to blame for Martial being shit previously, he's to blame for Shaw being shit, he's to blame for our attack being shit. BUT RASHFORD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR RASHFORD.

People need to get a consistent grip and stop picking favorites. You can't blame a coach for the attack being shit and extend the excuse for every player but one. That's about as subjective of analysis as you can possibly get.

10. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rashford has a really low football IQ. Not much you can do about that.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The guy has missed 10 consecutive 1 on 1 chances... tells you all you need to know ..

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Played well today tbf and was apparently playing with an injury that is usually two weeks out according to Mou post-game. Good work on assists for both goals.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today confirmed, not for the first time, that Rashford is more effective and far more suited playing in tandem with someone upfront.
    Wasn't an optimal partnership with Likely today, but it's one that could be worth reverting to when necessary, as it showed some glimpses in the first half.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Confirmed?? Its just one game ?? Dont be egoistic.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, but history has suggested he plays better with support.

But, I dont think that's a positional thing. That's a Jose system thing. Everyone is way to isolated offensively more often than not.

thenamestsam repped this.
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    How many players in City's or Bournemouth's side would we describe as playing without support? The only reason Rashford appears to need to play as part of a two is because that's the only way we can get two of our players close enough together to appear to be vaguely part of the same team.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Citys entire offensive system is definition of support, and everyone benefits.

Players move as a block together and they always have 2 or 3 options when on the ball.

We dont. We kick it into an open space that a player runs into. But nobody else adjusts their position based on this. So, the player does one of 3 things. Kicks it backwards, tries to take on the defender and turns it over half the time or just punts a high hopeful ball somewhere, but with no real direction.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    With regards to Rashford, Im sorry I wont blame Jose all the way.

Ive seen with my own eyes Rashford ignoring support in favor of dribbling or a shot from a bad angle.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    part of Rashford's profligacy is he seems more concerned with hitting the ball hard rather than placing it. he has a good technique and gets good power but it is pointless if you can't aim it

benni... repped this.
  20. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Ronnie couldn't aim 'em, 'til he could.

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Neither could Andros Townsend.

benni... and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That constant ' carrot and stick ' method of Mourinho's and how it constantly plays out in public is so outdated and shows just how out of touch Mourinho really is.
    Not to mention the obvious as well that it must be extremely confusing and a headscratcher to the players themselves (no wonder inconsistency is so rife among them).
    Just over a week ago, Rashford was one of the players Mourinho laid into publicly and yesterday he calls him one of his 'mad dogs ' and wishes he had more like him.
    It would be almost comical, if it weren't so absurd and just counter productive, if we're being frank...

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stop comparing Rashford to Ronaldo. It's ridiculous. Ronaldo was one of the elite young talents in Europe when we bought him and he improved in giant leaps each season. Rashford, in contrast, only started playing in the first team due to having all our forwards injured and then Keane going down in warmups. He wasn't even considered one of our best youth players and he hasn't improved noticeably in the last two seasons.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  24. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    That's ********ing laughable and revisionist, mate.

Most people wanted Ronaldo gone after he gestured for Rooney to be sent off in 2006.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What part? What part of what I said is revisionist or even inaccurate?

The only similarity between Ronaldo and Rashford is that they both had horrible football IQs early in their careers. Ronaldos developed rapidly and noticeably each season whereas Rashfords has not. Rashford also has a fraction of the technical ability Ronaldo had.