He Scores When He Wants .. - The Marcus Rashford Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the guy deserves his own thread as I am hopeful he will be around a while. Went with the chant they have given him at OT for the thread title.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...cus-rashford-start-manchester-united-11085978

Interesting piece in the M.E.N on how for a youngster debut there could be a bit more substance with Marcus that fits with how I see things too. What has impressed me in his short career so far (can't claim to have seen him in the other squads);

- quick decisive centre forward play for his initial goals
    - in the Euro game made a great run and rather than have a shot from a bad angle picked out Mata I think
    - quick feet and calm under pressure finish against City
    - prepared to stand up for himself amongst the big boys, but didn't loose his temper (pen claim against City)
    - some good runs down the wing, seems capable of taking on players (hope that isn't coached out of him by LVG)
    - doesn't loose the ball much and seems to have good control
    - desire when tired and calm head to run for the corner flag against City at the end

It really does look like he has the football and mental qualities needed, haven't been this impressed in a youngster since the Villa game (we lost!) and the class of 92.

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You touched on it in your post but his off the ball movement is superb for someone his age, whether on the wing or more central he runs at the back 4 which effectively creates space for others. Rashford doesn't seem to be overly selfish either and will pass the ball when its needed, instead of thrashing at the ball or taking a shot from a bad angle.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He does all the right things and has not looked out of place.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've been most impressed in the maturity of his play and his composure too.

tscboys and nimma repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope this directness doesnt get coached out of him by LVG;

[​IMG]

hreoaj and Ashur repped this.
  6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll never get tired of seeing him do Demichelis like that.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Ashur, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    Rashford completely "Ole'd" Demichelis on this play... ;) (Nike used to be so on point with their football commercials. Still enjoy the vast majority of them tbh!)

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Agreed, some of my favourites include the Nike vs Demons ad (with Cantona's popped collar), the Brazil in an Airport and ofcourse the Cage series.

The Robot Ninja one gets an honorable mention.

Ashur repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Ashur, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Absolutely agreed: Nike used to do a great job with those commercials. Van Gaal along with Cole and Yorke I believe were in the Ninja Robot one. My all time favorites are still the one in the Roman arena (Good vs Evil) and the 98 Airport one, for sure.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff from Nike back then!

jeff070 and exref repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it is waaaay too soon, but his current stats make fun reading (especially for a team that create so few chances);

Total: Apps 11, Goals 6
    League: Apps 6, Goals 3
    FA Cup: Apps 2, Goals 1
    Europe: Apps 3, Goals 2

- two goals on debut
    - some assists in there too
    - our youngest scorer in Europe (beating George Best record)
    - our third youngest scorer in EPL (behind Welbz and Macheda)

All that since Feb 25th following Rooney knee injury. Now Rooney fit, I hope Rashford keeps the #9 role or LVG is even more of an idiot than many of us believe.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrick: Marcus Rashford is here to stay

Michael Carrick insists Marcus Rashford is "here to stay" in the Manchester United first team after the youngster once again showed quality and maturity beyond his years in the Reds' Emirates FA Cup replay win over West Ham United. Rashford's brilliant finish on 54 minutes was his sixth goal of the season and another vital strike alongside his dramatic efforts against Arsenal and Manchester City. Carrick spoke to MUTV after the Reds booked a spot at Wembley in the semi-finals with Wednesday's 2-1 win at Upton Park and he was full of praise for Rashford's attitude since joining the senior squad.

"It’s incredible. It’s so good to see young lads come in, do well and take their chance. Not in his wildest dreams could he have predicted the last two or three months that he’s had," said Carrick. He’s still got his feet on his ground though. He keeps coming in, he doesn’t change, he works hard, he listens, he’s willing to learn and I think he’s got a great chance of staying at the top for a long time. I don’t think it’s a flash in the plan, in and out. I think he’s here to stay and goals like that… we’ll welcome more of them!"

14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    But he is and he will.

Time to lock this one up lads.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether he starts regularly or not, Rashford should still remain from now on a big part of the team. He really should be if nothing else, one of the first options off the bench offensively, especially if we're in a situation where we're chasing a goal.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rashford is currently undroppable - Van Gaal

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal believes it is impossible to leave striker Marcus Rashford out of the starting line-up, following the teenager's winner against Aston Villa. Rashford fired in the only goal for the Reds as they secured a vital 1-0 victory on Saturday afternoon, and his manager believes that it is crucial the team benefit from his current run of good form.

Speaking to the press following the match, van Gaal relayed his admiration of the young forward, who was determined to play despite his exertions in midweek at West Ham United. “Yes I wanted to change him," said the boss. "I had doubted for a long time. He is also young and he has played the last how many [12] matches but, yeah, at the end I don’t want to do that. I want to take profit of his momentum, and he was very positive. I thought I can change him before the end and the last 15 minutes is always very important for players. So I changed him for that.”

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see that Van Gaal has no plans to relegate Rashford to a bench role despite Rooney's as it was feared. There will be a time where he will cool off undoubtedly, but with chances at a premium with our way of playing, we need someone who will make the most of his opportunities and the kid has done that for the most part his season. Long may his run continue...

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Wait and Rooney is fit/sharp then we shall see what happens.

As for Rashford he needs to work on his ball retention and passing. His ability to successfully do this impacts directly on our ability to get other players into more advanced positions to support him and create higher percentage chances.

The above is particularly important if Rooney is the #10 as his penetrative passing and forward movement is erratic at best which will isolate whoever plays at #9.

sdotsom repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but as Van Gaal suggests, there is no reason to think that Rooney will supplant Rashford anytime soon, as long as plays the way he has and more importantly, is scoring goals the way he has.
    Rashford is clearly not the finished article and there are things he needs to work on: pretty positive he knows it and what matters is that we see him gradually progress over time. That is what's expected of him and if he can do that, he'll be just fine.

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What Teso said. I am truly sick of the Rooney at 10 apologists around the world. These people must never look at a heat map or his passing rating in the final third.

He is truly one of the best things about this season. Again, along with the likes of Fosu-Mensah and Martial, I really hope he is kept by the next manager. He has the eye for goal, and more importantly it seems like he only needs the 1-3 chances to stick one away, which is a great talent already to have.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Gea on Rashford: "It's unbelievable, no? This player is really young and he's scored many goals. Hopefully, for many years, he'll be in this club and can make history for the club as well. He's a shy guy, he (Rashford) is a really good lad and a good teammate. He's a really good guy."

23. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He won't see the field when Mou comes in.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know that his history backs up this statement, but I have a feeling Mou will be different here... At least at first. He knows what the club stands for and that we have a certain reputation for playing young guys and playing attacking football. I'm sure he'll return to his old ways at the first sign of trouble, but at first he'll be trying to make SAF, the board, and the fans happy. This is his dream club and he knows they have reservations about his style and personality.

25. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You would think that, yet you'd expect that both at Real Madrid and a Chelsea return he was warned about his behavior. Yet both times he became his usual toxic self. I just think his ways are set, and if you hire him as a club you are accepting all these risks. I mean, I'm thinking about his entire career and I cannot think if a single young player he truly gave a full opportunity to. Davide Santon at Inter maybe? Was that under Mou? And maybe Balotelli? I don't remember if any of the younger individuals at Madrid like Jese, Isco, Morata at the time came through under Jose.

I just don't think he's going to change his stripes. I was pretty against the signing, but now with how far we've fallen under LVG I think I can stomach it. But he's who he is.