Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #2151 Rman3349, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Agree with you on CHO specifically, but in general, its good for the club to have money. Just because we don't see the direct impact of the income from selling a player (often because there isn't one) doesn't mean it isn't good for the club to have the money.

Maybe it allows us to spend more years down the line, or offer greater wages to a player who we're competing with other clubs for. Or allows us to spend more on better training facilities. It goes on and on. As a Chelsea fan, I want Chelsea to have more money, even if its impossible for someone in my position to see exactly how they're using it

2. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is always a big topic of conversation in baseball here in the states. Unlike the other major sports here, baseball has no salary cap, so its common to hear baseball fans express a sentiment along the lines of "why should I care how much we're paying player X, its the owner's money, not mine".

But even in the absence of a specific mechanism (a salary cap) to limit spending, you're still better off with money in the team's coffers, not less, for a whole host of reasons

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mind = blown :ROFLMAO:

Ok ok really though.. I agree with your larger point. Of course netting several mil from a sale is always a bonus. I'd hate to be like United and watch us piss money away on finishing 6th or whatever. I was strictly speaking about long term talent and how much more that is worth than a quick buck.

Rman3349 repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I would say a player U21 is still consider young. At least, you can't drink in the US until you're 21.

But for soccer, I would like to think the ages from 22-24 is where you're no longer consider a young player. You should be well developed and matured by that age.

truefan420 repped this.
  5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Barcelona wanted to Keep Neymar. ManU wanted to keep Ronaldo, Dortmund wanted to keep Auba.

Players want to move, and they will. Might as well collect the money before they walk for free.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

People seem to be missing the other half of the equation. You CAN'T keep a players that no longer want to stay.

7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That wasn't the question at hand but yes - thank you.

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CL or no CL worth near 50 million + to bottom line; as we can't buy it probably worth keeping CHO, and take risk of losing him next year, even if he won't extend this summer, and give Lamps a year to get him fully on side. If he is playing every week in front of his family and peeps, where he speaks the language he will re-up.

May not always be the best approach but you can keep players, tots do it all the time, Pool and tots kept Modric and Coutinho an extra year and it worked great for them

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i agree we shouldn't sell, but those two players aren't great comparisons. neither were ever at threat on going for a free, and modric ended up selling for a ton (at the time 30mil was a lot, it was hazard level for us) and coutinho was just crazy money. we don't have the ability to RAISE his value over the next year like they do. so i'm not sure which part worked out great for them, they both ended up leaving for a ton of money, if anything that comparison points to us selling now.

the only thing that changes any of that is IF he signs a new contract.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately when you get to my age ALL players seem so young! Billy Gilmour looks about 11 years old! (Looks like a LOT of potential with that lad though) :)

Wrath and truefan420 repped this.
  11. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Haha yeah, its an obvious point, but when there is no actual cap on what a team can spend (don't give me FFP), its easy to just think of it as monopoly money.

Yahtzee repped this.
  12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gilmour looks like a player. i'm really excited to see how he develops.

Crawleybus repped this.
  13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was my point, that those two wanted to leave, they were forced to stay longer, and the clubs made a bunch of money, and got an extra good year + out of each which improved where they finished. I see your point about CHO having 1 year left, but I have a hard time believing he won't re-up if he plays a lot and lights it up, and Bayern likely will have moved on.

That point was really not about CHO but a counter point that players can never be made to stay to that other poster as they can and sometimes it works for both club and player and sometimes not or worse.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All I'm saying is that if we sold him for duckets I wouldn't be all that upset. If we kept and re-signed him, that's good, too. I'd prefer we re-sign him, but he's had multiple chances to do so so far and he hasn't.

15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Selling CHO is a ridiculous notion - we may as well offer Pulisic to Munich if we want some Ducats.

Dr_Intoxicated and lobomojo repped this.
  16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We aint signing nobody: The other teams transfer thread.

Last week QPR sold Matt Smith to Millwall and signed another Matt Smith on loan from Manchester City … on the same day.

Last summer Reece James was released by Wigan only for Wigan to sign Reece James on loan from Chelsea.

Happy days when we had Carlton Cole, Ashley Cole and Joe Cole. . .

17. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much has Chelsea made on sold players already this transfer window... including youth that may have departed?

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hazard 100m euros
    Aina 10m
    Kalas 9m
    Morata 56m
    Eduardo (free)
    Cahill (released)
    Green(retired)
    Kane (released)
    ------------------------
    175m euros

Lots of loans coming up, I'm sure. Fiorentina, Reading interested in Miazga.

Dtrip77 repped this.
  19. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subtract 45 for Kov = 130 for the summer.

Hoping that grows at least another 20 with the sales of Drinkwater or Baka.

The only good thing about this transfer ban is that other teams aren't trying to rip us off with the need to "replace" Hazard. A year goes by and teams forget we didn't spend his money yet. At least that's what I hope for.

20. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Forgot about that Kova thing.

It's hard to say whether we'll get rid of those two guys. Their values must be so low.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL, 20. He's a good defender, but was never going to break in here, which I guess is a shame if you're a Miazga fan. Not a shame for Chelsea fans because it means we have much better defenders.

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Willian to Barcelona for 30 million pounds sterling (not Ducats). Not sure where Barcelona are going to play everybody. Neymar desperate to return to Barca also. Apparently HRH Lampard has to decide on Willian when he gets back next week. Willian only has a year left on his contract, however, we need the players, Pedro may not be enough :unsure: I have always rated Willian over Pedro, but nobody wants to buy Pedro it seems.

24. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a redbull fan and meeting the kid at a fundraiser when he was 17, I wish him luck. 10 would be a good price and think Italy would be a good transition for him. Either there or Germany.

Where ever he goes, playing time should be priority and not the size of the club.

As for Willian, he's worth keeping for 30m in my eyes.

lobomojo repped this.
  25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

7-8 mil sounds fair for Miazga. I hope this gets done. Italy, Germany, or Holland would be a good place for him to get some play time.

Chelsea could also put a buy back clause on him, in case he turns out to be a very good defender in a few years.

We need him to be good for the UMSNT.

JimWharton repped this.