Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Surprised to hear people say midfield isn't a concern.

Every game we've played without Kante has shown it is a massive concern. The Jorginho/Kova pivot is an enormous liability. Not having another mid who can function well defensively leaves us very exposed, especially given Kante's injury troubles of late.

Would have been nice if Baka didn't turn out to be awful. This team needs another destroyer in the center of the park. Ampadu looks to be a good answer to this problem.. I'd rather see him play over Jorginho any day of the week. Far more functional.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t sure where to put this and this seems to be the catch all thread...

And in more good news, tit was confirmed that Callum Hudson-Odoi and Reece James will play for Chelsea's development squad on Friday night as the pair continue their respective road to recoveries.

Their getting closer to return!

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The ignore list ftw! :)

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Really good news, especially since we don’t have another back up for Azpilicueta.

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. Rudi might play this weekend as well. Which would also be a great boost.

Dr_Intoxicated and nicephoras repped this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Imagine this team with Sancho, CHO, and Pulisic; and a coach that's willing to unleash their full potentials.

That be pretty damn fun to watch.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't Ampadu on loan for a season? Good old Chelsea even with their backs against the wall they loan out one of their best youngsters. A very strange thing has happened whether people really want to admit it or not, Chelsea have turned into a lot of peoples second team, they have a real identity atm - identity is probably the wrong word but I can't think of a better one.

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Not sure why our backs are against the wall, but even more confused what that has to do with Ampadu’s loan? We have Kante and Kovacic. We could also have kept Bakayoko.

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well baka just didn't seem to be up to speed for this league. as for Ampadu, it was pretty evident that frank really wanted to work with him and likes him a lot but in the end he needs experience and it was decided a year playing regularly will do him some good. i fully expect Ampadu to to be a part of the squad next year.

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I held out hope for Baka because the talent and such are there but it's a different league and all that.

11. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kovavic is a decent player but playing the pivot next to Jorginho is no easy task and Kovavic isn't as good a defender as Ampadu never mind Kante. And why would you keep Bakayoko, I dont get that argument at all.

Maybe Chelsea's squad hasn't got its backs against the wall but it's nice scenario to think about all these youngsters have got a season to come good and stamp their identity on the team. It's like when you play Far Cry the fun put is when you are rubbish in the beginning but it's only a matter of time until you get better but you are against the clock because otherwise Roman may come with his cheque book in the summer and you are back to being mercenary Chelsea of the past 5 years or so.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did any of you see Ampadu against Ireland a few months ago, easily the best player on the pitch at 17. I'd have preferred him to Rice to have declared for England.

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Declan Rice is a decent player. A Chelsea youth product I wish we had kept around. both players are quality imho, at the moment I would say that Declan Rice has the edge.

14. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Maybe this is a dead horse, but I have been traveling. Your Citys and Reals and PSGs of the world never worry about acquiring too much talent. If we can get Sancho, we should. Success breeds opportunities (more competitions and more games).

Yahtzee repped this.
  15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Yeah maybe, Sancho and CHO are best buds off the pitch too, so that is good for team spirit.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Ah, so you wish we did things the neutrals liked better. I'm very comfortable not doing that. There's also no real evidence Amptadu is a better defender than Kovacic (and, really, playing a pivot with Jorginho is a bad idea in the first place).

Given that Rice is currently not very good, I certainly agree with you! But that doesn't mean Ampadu is currently great. I hope he gets lots of playing time on loan in Germany and returns a better player, like Christensen did.

17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Frank Lampard is leading the hunt for highly rated 17-year-old Wigan forward Joe Gelhardt.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did everyone on this board die?

Yahtzee repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, we are transfer banned for two windows.

We can rehash Pulisic not playing. :p

JimWharton repped this.
  20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interesting. Imagine there will be a lot of this in the next few seasons.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Meanwhile, the “selling Hazard at this age for this much money” view not looking awful at the moment.....

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is a good take. I just don't think it was likely going to work out because it turns out they relied on CR7 more than they thought they did.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Funny after watching last season I thought we desperately needed several players at several positions to compete, dm, B2B, attackimg M's a starting striker, fbs, cb's, yet now, think we may have too many mf's when all healthy and would put our need most at another speedy good defending fb on each side to compete and back up the role; a dm still to back up Kante (maybe Amp) and transition to the Billy and a new post Kante stopper era;

Next summer a wing or am to replace Willian and Pedro and an experienced, goal scoring striker to back up Tammy as Giroud likely gone, but hopefully Bats proves capable over the year. This summer thought we desperately needed a big buy striker like Icardi or similar, but though way to early days I am growing comfortable with the thought of Tammy being the man and would like to see us go for another younger rising striker rather than a huge in prime buy.

With a healthy Rudiger, Tomori and Christensen, and Zouma as the 4th guy, with Guehi moving in soon , we are set at CB for a good while, despite the early hiccups, really liked the Tomori and AC partnership

24. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    [​IMG]

nicephoras and Kazuma repped this.
  25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit