Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes and his injuries were also part of it and that coupled with Sancho blowing it out of the water, he was dropped. Regardless, when healthy he was still behind JBL. Favre's leash is pretty short though. Players aren't big fans of his.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    CHO had 29 appearances last season. Obviously not all starts. Around half of those were starts with 5 in the PL. Sancho is well ahead of CHO, I'm not debating that, but if we're scoffing at CHO's rumored wages Sancho with one season of fulltime top flight football will likely be on £250k.

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    CHO had 23 senior appearances by my count, most sub appearances and only a few starts in the league. This is a terrible comparison, especially since at worst, we’d be buying Sancho on at least two full years of production.

4. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    exactly, Ross hasn't really improved, if anything he's regressed a little outside of some hot flashes. RLC healthy has shown that if he's available, you play the formation that you want him to work in. which is why i think we'll see 4-3-3 more once he's around. of course, his health really is a big issue.

i think this is correct and what i've meant with we don't know exactly what we have. we know his style, we know a lot about what he can do, it's at what level he can get to and with what consistency. can he improve on the things he needs to improve on. if he can elevate properly, then we have an awesome player on our hands. we just don't know if he is going to do that yet.

it's not dissimilar to pulisic. you can see what he could possibly turn in to. we have to see if he's going to do it. personally i think he can but i'm not a manager. only thing i'm frustrated with pulisic on is that everyone wants him to be the finished article that people want him to be. when i think we need to focus on watching that development and enjoying it. hazard looked amazing his first season with us but didn't actually produce at near the level he was the seasons after, and that potential was so fun to watch. i can't wait to do it again with some of our young players.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don’t agree, but that’s ultimately moot. He’s not enough of a big name for the Real hype machine to attach, and there don’t appear to be any huge sales coming that lead to massive reinvestment.
    Neymar didn’t break the transfer market at all - subsequent fees have been normal other than the fees spent by clubs that were using Neymar money (Barca and Liverpool).

6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    you guys are kind of going after each other for things the other isn't saying.

Blue, as it was mentioned, Nice isn't saying the wages are really a problem. i think most of us here are seeing why they are what they are within the context.

you guys are almost saying the same thing. Sancho is basically more experienced and will earn higher wages. that's it.

i think we're all good here.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ooh, see, i also thing Sancho could go for crazy money. i'm not sure what they is, i'd say 90 is the floor. it could go over 100 easy. and what's crazy is, i'd still be tempted.

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not making a comparison FFS. 29 according to Chelsea who had it on a quiz just this afternoon. I'll take their word for it.

What you seem to be missing here is I'm only comparing their age, which is a valid ********ing comparison. People were questioning paying CHO £180k and I said they would probably be okay with paying Sancho £200k. I also pointed out Sancho has one full year under his belt.

Seems like you wanted to have a who's dick is bigger argument. I'm not interested in that.

And agree with you about Sancho in that he is further along. With all that said, CHO could also get there with a full season under his belt. Paying him is the current cost, so I guess who gives a shit. I'd rather keep him.

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    basically i'm on board with going big on our next winger. after all the half measure i feel like we've done for the last 10 years (basically never properly replacing Robben). i'd be happy to break the bank and have a good chance that we have 3 elite wingers that are all 21 and younger for the next decade if we wanted them. the investment will likely be worth it. competing for CL and english league titles has a way of keeping people happy with a bit of rotation.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know he didn't say it, rather Wrath and true did. I don't have a problem with their feeling either. Just pointing out that Sancho will be on more.

In the grand scheme of all of this, we either pay CHO or we don't and lose him. With the squad we have today, whether he was on £50k or £180k we need him to be at his best and be a hit rather than a miss.

11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:confused::confused::confused:

Mbappe went to PSG (who spent on top of the Neymar money, not using it) and it's bizarre to suggest that 150m+ for a 19 year old is normal.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Mbappe is the best prospect in the past 10 years. That wasn’t the sign of a broken market.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    We shall see! It’s just not clear to me who needs him and would pay that money. Real bought Hazard, Barca just bought Griezmann, Citeh have Sane coming back. United will likely pay 90mm for him and get him, even if he’s also not what they need.

14. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    United seem his only destination.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much are GKs going for? McGuire just cost how much again? The market has been changed since Neymar’s ridiculous purchase

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    What does Leicester having a lot of money from the EPL TV deal have to do with Neymar? All EPL players have gotten more expensive - that's a trend that's been going on for 10 years now. Neymar had absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Nor is the occasional goalkeeper costing a lot anything new - Buffon was a massive outlier many years ago. Kepa cost a ton because he's from Bilbao, and they never sell Basque players cheaply - we paid his buyout clause after we needed a keeper desperately.
    This past summer saw no one paying anything for payers like Coutinho or Icardi, so they've gone on loan. The market hasn't changed since Neymar. If Neymar broke the market, you'd expect to see massive fees in the same range for somewhat inferior players. Instead, it's not happening at all. What you get are big (although not close to Neymar big) fees for younger players. Which is far more sensible.

17. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw precisely that. I think the market is starting to shift back to where it should be but it’s still much much higher. Yes EPL money plays a part but it jumped it up higher and quicker because of his transfer. But it’s ok we can just agree to disagree and leave it there.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't understand this argument. We paid 40mm for Danny Drinkwater. What did Neymar have to do with that?

19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He inflated the entire market.

20. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    hahaha, case and point. stupid money everywhere.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    This is the underpants gnomes argumentation style.
    1. PSG paid a lot for Neymar.
    2. ????
    3. We paid a lot for Drinkwater.

EPL prices had been going up consistently completely unrelated to Neymar. As a result of the TV deal, middle tier EPL clubs now (a) have a lot more buying power in Europe, so are able to buy from other European clubs, and (b) are able to charge top tier EPL clubs a lot more, because they don't have to sell. That trend has been consistent, and had been for years before Neymar was sold. The days of SAF simply buying Carrick or RvP are gone. The reason Spurs can exist in their current form is because they make enough money not to have to sell their top players to United/City/us; that has nothing to do with Neymar.
    So no, simply saying "Neymar inflated the entire market" does not an argument make. If it's true, and Neymar inflated the entire market, you'd expect similar players to be purchased for similar sums. Except it's not happening.

But English clubs have been paying this kind of stupid money to each other for years - years before Neymar. How does PSG (who have unlimited money) paying for Neymar affect us and Leicester?
    Markets get inflated because more money pours in, but people are implying that transfers have become somehow unnaturally inflated because Neymar set a new level of some kind. There's really not a lot of evidence for it. It's a better argument that clubs who make a massive sale are likely to have their next purchase inflated, but that's basically Coutinho, Dembele and VvD. There simply haven't been similar purchases since. (Joao Felix might be closest, but that was clearly Griezmann money. Again - same thing.)

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #2547 StamfordBridgeLions, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Well, he is a decent enough squad player imho. Let's not get to down on the lad. It is not like he is Benayoun or something. I know you like to find fault with English and homegrown players especially. But Barkley has been decent for us at times. Barkley scores goals. He is not Drinkwater - who we paid the outrageous sum of £35 million for. Barkley was bought a decent price [£15 million] and when we sell him [and we most likely will] we shall recoup that money and some. He is an England squad player after all. In a decent and successful England team.

Sancho to Chelsea? Yep we do need to replace the aging out players of Willian and Pedro. But not too many changes all at once is sound advice for any club/team. I think we must realise that we have youngsters in Mount, Tammy, CHO and Pulisic. Also, RLC is still young-ish. So another youngster in Sancho may not be the best fit for us. We might want a player with a little more experience to balance things out? When the time comes. Just my ever so humble opinion. Although Sancho and CHO are best buds and that would be a nice combo.

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane apparently wants to sign Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante. I hope he is ready to pay Neymar money for him?

Kante seems happy with us and life in London. We cannot afford to sell our experienced players at this point. Maybe they will take Drinkwater instead?

24. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    seriously shut up with the constant accusations about people being against english players. not a single person around here has shown a propensity to reference nationalities in a negative way except you.

on a more reasonable note, i'm not concerned about the experience mix right now. if a player makes us better, that's all that really matters. we're already in a well defined rebuild. we passed the youth/experience mix already and we are building for the future. if you have a chance to sign a 19 yr old potential super star to lock down an attacking position for the next decade, you do it.

i'm still ultimately skeptical that we will get Sancho specifically though.

25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If we can get Sancho obviously he worth it. I watched him in that first season at Dortmund and you could just tell he had it. Hell they called him back from the Youth WC so he could start playing for Dortmund over the winter.

Do I think we'll get him, no? We have to try though. He could really build something here with kids he's played with growing up at youth level for England.

We're being linked with Bruno from Brazil (Athletico Paranaense). He's a midfielder. I've listened to a couple people talk about him on videos but know absolutely nothing about him outside what I heard. He's 21. Deep lying mid with a good engine and gets forward. Can score too.

While midfield isn't much of a concern today, this is the type of player we should be going for.