Hazard Warning Signs - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Man, I like CHO and want him to succeed but Sancho was getting appearances a season before CHO came to the first team. That and Sancho has been walking the walk and then some.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But MORE than we need some quality in midfield? Hmm... maybe. I'd think if there's cash available we need some real quality there first, tbh.

Kova looks to be improving I suppose and Barkley flips from good, through serviceable to pretty bad, (or totally ineffective anyway), but it's all far from certain atm.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll be honest, I haven't really been paying much attention to Puli until he looked to be signing for us... at which point he seemed to stop appearing a lot. Was that injury, manager choosing someone else or some other reason... I dunno!

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The less we see of Barkley starting, the better.

Wrath and Yahtzee repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He made a blunder for England the other day right at the start of the match, (although not as much as the guy he passed to), but was pretty influential and positive after that, tbh.

I think the real issue is what the alternative's are.

Kova seems to have started contributing but neither he nor Jorginho are likely to chip in with goals from what I've seen so I think you're being a bit harsh on Barklet, tbh. If we had an alternative who'd produced reliably, fine... but we haven't.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With two people dripping wet and nothing positively gained?

7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that's the thing, that player could be either Mount or RLC. again, we'll know more as the season progresses. Mount has already shown he's got an eye for a goal, and RLC has as well. both of those players will overtake Barkley in the coming months i think. now whether they are good enough to negate the need of buying a player in that position is still somewhat unanswered. we'll have to wait and see. but RLC was looking to be world class last year before his injury, and Mount seems to have more upside.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    It all depends on who our manager is and what system we play. At the moment, we’re going with a weird 4-2-3-1 which wants a #10 we simply don’t have. So I’d take Sancho. When RLC comes back, where are these spaces in midfield going to come from?

As for Barkley - lol. He shouldn’t start for us or England. That he plays ahead of Dele for Southgate is pretty funny.

9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i have to agree that Sancho right now is way ahead of CHO. that could change by the end of the season, but if you are looking at both players RIGHT NOW. Sancho has proven himself way more.

but, i also have no problem with CHO getting his money, the club kind of have to make that bet right now. he could be great, we need to know if he will be, and it's either high wages or go out and spend huge money on a transfer. with CHO we can afford to pay him because we don't have to buy him. he's already here.

though even if CHO and Pulisic both come good and look great by the end of the season, i'd still be tempted to through the checkbook at Sancho (or someone similar). the clubs needs depth and rotating options. i don't think we'd have any problem keep three wingers happy with the amount of games we play and the possibility of injuries. just like we need another striker even if Tammy comes good.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Did anyone actually suggest CHO got paid too much? I don’t think I saw anything like that.
    He’s a really good prospect, we paid him. Makes sense to me. Who’s complaining about it?

11. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    we are also playing a 4-3-3, which i think suits the squad better. and that's where i think RLC really comes in. not as a pure 10 but an attacking 8. honestly it will be Mount and RLC i think competing for the more attacking role in the midfield 3 (not sure at what point they'd ever be tried together or not).

i've agreed with you in the past that we don't honestly know what we have on our hands with Mount yet. but he looks like someone i'd put more investment and time in to than Barkley for sure. in either formation. and while mount can play wide in a pinch, i don't think that's his actual position.

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think the assumption was that it's a lot of money for a kid who has done nothing so far.

(He hasn't signed any contract yet.)

But Billy Gilmour just signed a 4-year deal.

truefan420 repped this.
  13. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    thought someone was mentioning those wages in response to deserving them in comparison to Sancho. meh, doesn't matter.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes absolutely.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dele is our injured otherwise I doubt he starts over him.

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My only point was others will keep him as barometer when they negotiate wages. Don't want to end up in a situation like United where Rashford is making 250k a week. Also pretty clear we need to double down on him with our transfer ban and team in transition.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Lampard has almost entirely gone with the 4-2-3-1 (other than one game), so that appears to be his preferred choice at the moment.
    I agree it's far too early to make any kinds of calls on Mount, but I'm certainly happy to give ourselves more time to figure it out! That said, it also shouldn't stop us from signing a top playing "because we have Mount".

If I never see Barkley play for us again, I'm fine with that. We shouldn't have bought him. That Liverpool's mayor almost filed a complaint over Barkley's transfer is just amazing.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Was genuinely asking - I didn't see any complaints. We paid CHO market rates for a promising prospect wanted by clubs like Bayern. It is what it is. Now he has to back those wages up.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, if I thought the guy was available to us I'd also go with Sancho but, as you suggest, quite where all these guys are going to play then becomes an issue.
    Deli can be the very definition of invisible, tbh, so I'm not sure that's the best comparison but I thought he was injured actually.

Anyway, that's England. They can sort themselves out strictly speaking. I was just saying that he made a decent contribution for us the other night.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. We play a lot of games and the squad will be rotated. Between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 it would fine.

Cho, Pulisic and Sancho for 2 wide spots
    Pulisic and Mount for the 10.
    Mount, RLC, Kova, Kante for 2 CM in 3
    Jorge and Kante for the 1 DM in 3
    Kova, Kante and potentially RLC or Mount for the 2 CM in 2.

They might not all be happy to miss the big game but the squad will rotate and they’ll get plenty of PT and drive to improve

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about Barkley, as I said a while back, is that he's 25 now so he's probably as good as he's going to get. Frankly, he seemed to be a better player when we signed him than he does now.

So all of these younger guys, (apart from RLC who's a couple of years older), have a possibility to get better and RLC was a more dangerous and creative player than Ross, anyway.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    1. I think Sancho would fit in fine. That said, whether I’d spend 90mm on him is an entirely different issue!
    2. Dele is a great player in that he can do everything well. You need him to press? He can do that. Defend? Ok. Pass - pretty good at it. Make runs into the box? He’s great at that. His issue for me is his injury history.
    Barkley....runs forward and then shoots from 30 yards out.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just on the point of what we have with Mount... I don't think it's true to say we don't know what we have. I'd say we have a reasonably good idea, tbh. Now, whether he can be relied upon to maintain his form or to get better... that we don't know.

He's contributed creativity and goals even thus far but he's also a known quantity to the manager who's handled him for a while now so I think talking about him as if we've got no idea what to expect isn't entirely accurate.

However, I think, like all young players, he'll blow hot and cold in particular games.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, sometimes he just falls over the ball or passes to the opposition :D

Nah, like I say, after a dreadful start he played quite well for England until he ran out of gas the other night.

Unless he drastically improves his form unexpectedly, (which is unlikely at his age), both us and England need better and more reliably dangerous players than Barkley, though... that's the point.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s going to cost way way more than that. My bet is 130 to 150.

Real, Man U and City all want him and in City’s case they want him back. He’s english so it’s a return it England it will be costly. He’s 19 and he looks to be legit. Plus well the market is still stupid from PSG breaking it to buy Neymar