have you been able to resell your tickets?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Mar 11, 2016.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Season ticketholders are getting two Open Cup games for the price of one (it will be 3 if they advance to host the next round). So, even if the first Open Cup game against SF was a paid part of the package, the second against Seattle is a true bonus.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A couple years ago, in 2015, the Quakes defeated Sacramento in the Open Cup and the Quakes allowed season ticketholders to effectively use the same ticket to see the ensuing LA Open Cup game for free.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Alyssa Wong just told me that the SEA Open Cup tickets can't be resold through the Ticketmaster account because they are complimentary

4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't sell your tickets to the LA game at Stanford. The Account Manager won't allow it.
    You can only transfer tickets but that must be completed by 10:00am - 9 hours before game time - which effectively means you can't sell your tickets on stubhub either.

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We listed 2 tickets for tonight's SJ v COL jul-29 game, and they did not sell.
    So for 2017 resale I am 50% or 2 of 4 on MLS games.

What really bums me out about tonight's game is that the quakes me 2 of my 4 seats so that I could sit in the moat. Apparently, they sold the seats they traded with me. But the 2 seats that I listed did not sell. When I looked at the price just before the game, they were listed for $111 each. I don't understand that, because I originally posted them for $74-78 and set them at market price.

I'm beginning to think that maybe my problem is using market price. I didn't think the seats would go up in price and then never sell. Should I be using fixed price? If so I will fix the price at the minimum price that ticketmaster allows.

Because I have broken my foot, we aren't going to be inviting guests to the games, because we can't sit with them. So we are going to list the other 2 seats for at least the next 6 weeks.

6. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a few fortunate circumstances with seats at the RSL game, I am now up about $20 on games that I sold :)

Which means that I can literally sell the rest of the home games from now on out at the minimum price and still break even for this season.

No...I'm not selling the rest of the home games. My father's schedule has eased up so I think I'll make it to the rest of the home games (I generally go when he goes). Not too bad for going to 2/3 of season and able to break even on 1/3. Considering that the price of my seat is slightly cheaper than Ticketmaster + fees or Stubhub + fees, I consider this 1st season as STH a successful one.

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh no...doing something fun I hope? Sorry to hear that.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your only goal is to dump the tickets and get back a portion of your money, then set fixed price at the lowest possible price. Market price can help you make a little money if it turns out the tickets are a hotter commodity than you expected, but it puts you at the whims of TM's algorithm, which may or may not be any good.

There's also declining price, so you can start out at a higher price and let it drop to the minimum by game day.

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK that explains this better for me. Fixed price or declining price sound like better strategy to ensure tix sell. It's so aggravating to watch these great seats go empty.

I broke my foot falling down stairs in the dark at 5:30 AM in daughter's home. Was catching my uber to BOS airport

10. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come in peace and only to answer the question asked.

SKC seems to have a good supply/demand balance since opening the new stadium in 2010. I have had season tickets on the side just beyond the center circle's extent at row 20ish (it's moved a little over time, but in this general area). I've never eaten a ticket in 6.5 years and generally have made a profit. This year, I've sold 38 tickets with an average net profit (after all fees) of a little more than $10 per ticket.

So it can be done, but I think it takes a combination of reasonable base prices, limited supply (there are 14,000 season tickets in an 18,500 seat stadium), and a consistently respectable team. SKC are nearing their 100th consecutive MLS sell-out. Lastly, I ultimately price the tickets to sell by undercutting other comparable tickets by a dollar or two once the match is six or seven days away.

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. I'll assume the only STHs making money or breaking even are POR, SEA, SKC, and maybe TOR. And even then, I'd guess the higher priced seats don't fare as well as you do.

All I know for sure is high priced seats for a losing team are really hard to move, especially since the Ticketmaster algorithm doesn't allow us to underprice the Quakes office.

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    For what it's worth I still need 2-3 tickets for the Minnesota game in October, shaded side preferred but not a deal breaker.

13. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your thoughts about highly priced seats. I'm moving mine under $60 each (price the purchaser pays). It's also helpful that the seats are quite good and near the center of the pitch.

SKC was on TicketMaster until last year and SeatGeek this year. In all cases, I have been able to price below face value and below my actual costs. There is a very low artificial floor though; I'm not sure what it is. Ironically, for this thread, the only game I sold below my costs this year was the San Jose game in early March.

The one constraint I faced under TicketMaster was for the three "add on" games that were not league games in the season ticket package. TicketMaster didn't allow resale of those, but SeatGeek does. My ONLY complaint is that SeatGeek and the club take 15% of the sale price whereas StubHub takes 10%. The seamless listings of my seats alongside the unsold inventory coupled with no printing, scanning, etc and direct deposit are very nice.

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yesterday, our 2 tickets sold for tonight's game vs COL. So it appears that Fixed Price is the way to go.
    So for 2017 resale I am 3 for 5 on MLS games.

now i am testing what happens if I list tickets earlier. I noticed that some tickets in my section 106 resell months ahead of the game. So today I listed my 2 seats for the PHI Aug-19 game that is in 2 weeks.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our 2 tickets for tonight's game vs PHI just sold at $15 less per seat than our cost. But better than nothing. I have discovered it doesn't seem to help if I list early or late, they tend to sell the day before or the day of...

For 2017 resale I am 4 for 6 on MLS games.

16. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    missing tonights match....been trying to sell our 2 tickets in 106 through ticket manager since last week....no luck so far

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My foot is still in a boot, so I listed 2 seats for the next 3 home games. The POR seats sold immediately. Hope HOU and CHi move. I actually made a few dollars on the POR tickets, i guess I should have priced them higher!

For 2017 resale I am 5 for 7 on MLS games.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I can't get referee tickets for the Chicago game, I may be contacting you...

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don bought my CHI tix (sorry Bob). Just have This Sat HOU left

So for 2017 resale I am 6 for 8 on MLS games.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give away my tix when I can't make a game.

tenfourteen and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No worries. Since it's a Wednesday game, I'm not anticipating it will be that hard to get tix!

mjlee22 repped this.
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice that the Ticketmaster app now lets you set a resale price as low as $9? I just noticed that when I listed my tix this week.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought two tickets for my wife and Daughter yesterday (my son will be marching on the field and we only have 2 season tix) for 23.00 each and just missed out on 17.00 tickets. For these seats, it is a major bargain; most are listed far higher and there are a bunch of tickets available.

Pro tip: Tickets are far cheaper on (what think is) the West Side. I guess all of us grizzled veterans in the good seats are willing to sell at a major discount.

24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I had to look on a map to find what side we were on. East side is the sunny side. That's us. I might pay someone to go to this game in my place so I can stay home.

25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the new floor at $9, that's nice. That said, I've been able to sell all my tixs to game that I didn't go so far, so it's all good. Still up $20 theoretically. Haven't sold tix for sometimes now, going to Houston game, but will be putting up for Chitown game. Set my price at a dollar more than STH prices, hopefully Schweinstegger nets me two extra dollars LOL