have you been able to resell your tickets?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 bobby_guzman, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    3/3 for me, all for STH prices, except for Seattle game where I made $4 total profit (meaning $2 profit for each tix). All three games were sold literally the day before gamedays as well. That was very interesting...

Yeah, I haven't gone out to games lately. Can you blame me LOL

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful, Ultras will start singing a song for you...

...you only go when we're winning, you only go when we're winning.....:D

bobby_guzman repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gads, i wish that were true, cuz then we'd be winning every game.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    happiness is a journey.jpg

5. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea! We had to list all 4 of our tickets for SKC this Sat Jun-17-2017, and they just sold for $99 each! I think that's a little below our break-even point. So far this season, all of my STH listings have sold.

But tomorrow night's Open Cup game vs SF Deltas may break my streak. It's more of an intellectual exercise to see if anyone wants to pay to see the SF Deltas...

However, I'm wondering, have people been re-selling on stubhub or somewhere else? The bad thing about the Quakes account is that I can't just dump tickets at a low price. It limits the lowest price to the current market price. Could I sell at a really low price if I generated PDFs and posted them elsewhere? Is it worth the trouble?

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why isn't there a ticket swap-meet thread on this board? (I believe the Quakes' Reddit board has one). That way we're more-or-less selling to folks we know.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Recent related anecdote: A friend insisted on purchasing a pair of my club seats for an upcoming game to be raffled with other non-Quakes prizes (although I assembled a Quakes gift basket for her, too, with scarves, hat, DVD and an autographed Joe Cannon photo) for a quite large, 40-plus-person family reunion she hosted last weekend. My friend insisted on paying me face value for the tickets. But that's not the interesting part. She left me a voicemail yesterday saying that her 8-year-old niece coveted the club seats and purchased $7 in raffle tickets using all her savings (not sure whether to be aghast or admiring of the enterprising nature of this family in extracting money from their underage relatives) with hopes of winning the tickets -- and the little girl won them! "The Quakes have a new fan for life," my friend told me!

Neuwerld, TyffaneeSue, DotMPP and 6 others repped this.
  8. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was able to make it out alive with SKC tickets, ended up selling it for minimum set value, which was below STH face value.

So far, if not counting the Open Cup game, then I my running total profit/loss is +$5.00. That with both tixs figured in.

If counting the Open Cup game, then my running total profit/loss is -$44. Hopefully the Open Cup game with Seattle I can pull some of that back. I have no hope for the RSL game to break even. Most likely will lose money and may not even be able to sell it.

The Eintract Frankfurt game already looks like I'll be losing money as well.

At first I thought maybe I would profit a bit from being an STH. Then I hope to break even. At this point if I only lose <=$100 total I would be pretty happy.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone tracked MLS STH profitability on BS? Judging by the empty stadiums, i would presume that most MLS STHs can't make any money reselling their tickets. But I wonder if even Seattle, Atlanta, and Toronto STHs break even.

Do NFL and NBA STHs do better?

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I hexed myself. No one bought our 2 tickets for RSL and the SF Deltas Open Cup. I might put the SEA Open Cup games up for sale for another intellectual exercise...

So for 2017 resale I am 2/3 on MLS and 0/1 on Open Cup games.

11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to stop making Open Cup games part of the STH tix. I can't sell them at all. And I don't think I'll be able to sell the Sounders game either.

I wish they would just make the STH 17 home games. I would be more amenable to re-new my tix.

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i talked to a few people who have had their Stanford game tickets up on stub hub for the last couple of weeks......no takers so far (face value and lower)

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Totally disagree. Season ticketholders need to show up for these games. You cannot expect the Quakes to take the Open Cup tournament seriously if the fans won't.

Be happy the Quakes are hosting the Open Cup games. If they cannot exert a little pressure to get the home crowd to show, maybe they should just play all the games on the road and likely lose them.

The best sign of a BIG team is taking this tournament seriously by trying to win, not by signing an over-the-hill name-brand DP so season ticketholders have a better chance of unloading their tickets in the after-market. In parallel fashion, the best sign of a quality fan base is that they understand the Open Cup is a big deal and they show up for the games instead of trying to unload their tickets.

The Quakes are (finally) handling this tournament exactly right. They're hosting the games, and they're giving season ticketholders a bonus every time they win. We're getting two games for the price of one right now, and if the Quakes can beat Seattle it will be 3-for-1 because we host the next round.

jetdog9 repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I get the sense that a large part of the Stanford crowd these days is achieved through sponsor-funded giveaways.

15. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on a Wednesday night, Don. Most of us just flat out isn't going to make it. The Open Cup is, unfortunately, not seen as anywhere near prestigious as MLS Cup games. It is what it is.

Anyways, after today's news, I'll probably be re-newing my tix. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade it :p

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How do the Sharks and Warriors manage to attract full houses on weeknights?

17. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By playing actual NHL league games.

The point I'm making is that Open Cup games, which are non-MLS Cup games, are on Wednesday nights. And fans aren't going to spend Wednesday night going to what is a lesser cup competition than the MLS Cup.

tenfourteen repped this.
  18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't you think Quakes attendance suffers even during Wednesday night league games?

19. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly. But it's even worse during Open Cup games, which is what I am focused on.

20. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the warriors are one of the best teams in league history, and the sharks don't. they didn't sell out a single game in their stanley cup run last year until their first game in the final.

21. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharks didn't sell out, but they're practically at 98%, which is not too bad. Plus, the Sharks are "been there, done that" regarding to non-Stanley Cup rounds. They went to 3 Conference Finals the last 12 years, so they've been to the 3rd round a few times and choked them all away, so everyone didn't get up much for that.

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the game thread for SEA Open Cup game, and duplicating here just for the record:

...the Ticketmaster account manager is not allowing me to list these tickets for sale. We can only transfer them. Also, if you go to the regular Ticketmaster site, there are no tickets for sale on our side of the stadium (bench side). So apparently the quakes are trying to make Avaya look occupied, even the game isn't being broadcast, as far as we know.​

23. chilitownpontiff

Jul 14, 2008
    San Ramon
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't resell free tickets through Ticketmaster. The bench side is almost entirely season ticket holders. The only seats they ever have for sale on that side are at the very top of section 101.

mjlee22 repped this.
  24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the explanation. I guess this is the first time with quakes ticketmaster account that the open cup seats are technically a free "bonus game".

I sure feel like I paid for them :p

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That's silly -- they are factored into the price of the season tickets. I guess that's another reason to hate Ticketmaster (as if that was needed....)

tenfourteen repped this.