Have the draw procedures been posted?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Mr Globe, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mr Globe

Mr Globe Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't mean the basics like 4 pots, 1 team from each pot, Russia goes to Group A. Specifically, has FIFA disclosed how the required geographic constraints will be achieved?

Say for example Brazil and Argentina are drawn to groups G and H. When they draw Pot 2 how will they ensure the 3 South American teams don't go to those groups. If a UEFA team or Mexico is drawn first would they automatically go to Brazil's or Argentina's group? They couldn't keep filling the groups alphabetically if UEFA teams keep getting drawn or they'd run into a dead end.

There are multiple ways to do this and I can't believe FIFA hasn't announced how it will be done yet. Or have I just just missed?

2. Mr Globe

Mr Globe Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  3. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    I think it is still alphabetical but with the consideration of the conmebol clashes 'crossing that bridge when they come to it'.

So say the draw looks like:
    A Russia, Switzerland
    B Poland, Mexico
    C Germany, Croatia
    D Belgium
    E Portugal
    F France
    G Brazil
    H Argentina

Left to draw in pot 2: Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, England, Spain

If the next team drawn out was England I think it would go to G as it is the next letter when taking into consideration any clashes but staying alphabetical. Thoughts?

4. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's correct.

Nick Kharchenko repped this.
  5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Geographical protection is the same. Only one region team for group, with Europe allowed 2. I am actually going to do a test draw in a little while to see what I get.

I hope the draw is not rigged again. I read a post a few days ago saying that Russia's Group will contain Switzerland, Australia, and Egypt.

2014 World Cup Draw was definitely rigged. I hope this one isn't. If Group A appears to be correct, I don't even know what I will do, but it will definitely be proven rigged.

6. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No, it wasn't

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude there is a lot of proof it was. What makes you think it wasn't?

A day before the draw happened, there was news on Argentinian newspapers saying that Argentina will be placed in Group F with Bosnia, Nigeria, and Iran. That happened. There was also news about Italy being the team drawn into Pot 2 and it was.

Then FIFA did everything they can to try and make a Brazil vs Argentina final. Argentina got one of the easiest draws they could have got. Brazil's was tougher, but Croatia and Mexico looked weak until the World Cup started. Cameroon was the weakest team in the whole tournament.

Also if you look at the groups, you will notice something very fishy. Many of the experienced teams were in groups together, while many teams that were debutants or just haven't been to the World Cup in a long time had easy groups.

B: Spain, Netherlands
    D: Italy, England, Uruguay
    G: Germany, Portugal

Belgium, Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina had easy groups.

Then you have Sepp Blatter's Switzerland and Michel Platini's France in the same group along with two weak teams that were not expected to do anything. And let me tell you France was looked at as a weak team before 2014 World Cup begun, which is why you can accuse FIFA of putting France in an easy group because they didn't know what France were capable of.

Also did you watch the draw? Did you notice how long it took the guy to unwrap the paper? His hands went under the desk every single time, and it looked like he was taking a new paper from the desk rather than unwrapping if you watch his hands closely. Also how the ones he had did not roll again nearly as easily as the lady doing the group numbers. There was a huge difference in time.

Of course we can never be 100% sure, but I think this is clear evidence that the draw was rigged.

Also not to mention recently Sepp Blatter claimed that he witnessed rigging in UEFA while never in FIFA. The fact he mentioned it at all makes me suspicious. Of Course Blatter will never admit to something wrong he did himself or his own company did. The fact he is even accusing others of it and talking about it, makes me suspicious.

8. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This isn't worth having a big discussion over, so all I'll say is I only see speculation, not proof.

unclesox repped this.
  9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In your scenario, I would think that if Switzerland (or any other non-CONMEBOL team) was the first to be drawn they would immediately be placed in Group G with Brazil. That quickly eliminates the potential of having to "cross that bridge".

jagum and themanlarry repped this.
  10. LetBinding

LetBinding Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    People are saying that the secret group that rigged the 2014 World Cup Draw is the same one that also faked the moon landings.

BocaFan repped this.
  11. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Russia still would not get through to the next round.

12. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    When they get to Pot 3 there are UEFA and CONCACAF clashes to avoid, and in Pot 4 every team could be drawn to an unsuitable group. It could get messy.

13. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    They are alot easier to avoid as shown in the video. Pot 3 UEFA clashes will be just a few and quite clear where to go and CONCACAF is only Costa Rica avoiding Mexico's group.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that happened then Spain would go to Group H regardless of if they were picked before or after Colombia, Peru, and/or Uruguay because none of those three could go in Group H.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    or Group G.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you sure? If they were actually with Switzerland, Egypt, and Australia, I'd think they have a 50-50 chance.

Egypt and Australia are not better than Russia. Also Russia will be at home, which will give them a slight advantage. Remember Switzerland as well is a very defensive team, in fact they all are honestly and games could look boring. Anyway I would fancy Switzerland to win the group and Russia to go in second.

17. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #17 Thezzaruz, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Sure it does. They get into the issue you asked about right at the end while drawing pot 4 and they solve it easily. As @themanlarry got it right with the 'crossing that bridge when they come to it' explanation.

Should only become messy if they screw up. Pot 4 might end up being done fairly quick but there is no real problems with it.

Why would you do that? It is possible that Pot 2 could be drawn in such a way that no adjustment is needed, why would you not allow for that possibility? You only make adjustments to the draw when you need to do so to avoid an "illegal" group.

18. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Wow, just wow. First person on ignore on these forums.

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Like I said, it quickly eliminates any potential of having an "illegal" group.

20. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And as I said why? You are just adding an extra limitation on the draw. And as it's one you don't need then why do it?

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was the procedure used in 1982 and 1986. Quite certain it was not used in '94. I personally see nothing wrong with it but I suspect they will be using 'your' method.
    As long as the draw is run smoothly there should be no complaints. :thumbsup:

22. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I get what you are saying but back in those days there were barely any AFC or CAF teams to contend with.

If they where to use "your" procedure on Pot 2, what do you do when you get to Pots 3 and 4? Cause then you'll have the geographic issues of not 1 but 4 federations to contend with and then "your" procedure just doesn't work any more. And using different procedures for different pots will really confuse anyone watching. :D

23. Mr Globe

Mr Globe Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know that past draws were rigged, but the groups were always likely to be unbalanced because seedings were based on geography rather team strength, which is moronic. When you're drawing from a pot that contains USA, Mexico and China clearly one group is going to get a team the is much weaker than the other two.

Thank you themanlarry for the explanation. I didn't think it could be that simple but on 2nd thought I believe you're right.

themanlarry repped this.
  24. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There is absolutely zero proof the 2014 WC draw was rigged.

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah true, but there was more evidence than just that. I meant just 2014, not the world cups before that. The unbalanced groups is not the evidence, its more about that Group F was already stated before the draw happened in several Argentinian newspapers, and how closely when you watch the draw, you might notice a few fishy things going on.