Have all the dinosaurs died?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SoccerScout, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Usually about this time every 4 years in America the old soccer hater journalists come out with their pre world cup "americans will never like soccer" or "soccer sucks" article.

I think every world cup there are less and less of these. So what about this time? Are all the soccer hater dinosaurs dead and replaced?

2. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Dam. I think what has died is bigsoccer. Never seem participation so slow especially during wc times. I guess facebook twitter has killed it

taylor repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. This forum (excluding the TV, Satellite & Radio subforum) doesn't have many people post in it. You could have posted this in the Soccer in the USA forum.

4. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I just mentioned in a TV/Radio thread that I hadn't seen any of those articles.

5. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has probably been mentioned but I think the internet has killed off most of the dinosaurs.

Growing up in the 1980s, if an A$$hole published something I did not like, they was nothing I could do except curse him. Who had the time to write a letter to SI that Frank Deford sucked.

Now, if someone writes something stupid, the comments section will put him in his place in half a day. No writer wants to be called an idiot so thoroughly in front of the world so instead of writing some stupid rehashed soccer hater column, they just stay quiet.

In addition, their editor will see everyone calling them an idiot after writing the article and the writers just ignore the subject.

6. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. There still soccer haters out there.

8. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Dan shaugnessy Boston globe Sunday edition he is a widely mocked troll.

LAGalaxyfan1981 repped this.
  9. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
  10. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    It's all about $$. The numbers this World Cup (both tv and at crowd events) is tipping the scales into positive coverage. The people who run media may be a lot of things, but they're not stupid. They see all the scenes of soccer fans rooting for USA and they look at the ratings and see a chance to cash in. They're not going to let some idiot mass up the chance for some profit because pro-soccer momentum is going strong. It's as simple as that.