HAUPTMAN SELLS

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jiggly_333, Jul 11, 2018.

1. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His press release was featured in a new and unfaded folder, contained no typos, and did not instantly piss off the fans. I'd say that's a damn good start comparatively.

2. Low bar, but progress nonetheless.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spot on. Those are the key items. Especially the first. Joe is a builder. That is what he does.

4. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you can't build with 49%.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You can if the 51% guy is happy to spend your money. Hey, I don't know. Maybe Hauptman will act differently if the Fire are not cash poor.

GHjelm, Jiggly_333 and splunge63 repped this.
  6. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds perfect. Assuming he's all in, just a matter of time 'til he gets control. Good things will happen with a deep pocketed and committed owner.

7. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've been wondering for a while why Hauptman wouldn't get other investors involved if he actually wanted to win something and build something. All we've seen is a systematic tearing down of trust, faith, tradition, honor and passion. A team like Seattle has multiple owners in the Seattle Sounders Alliance to split the share of DP signings and make decisions regarding spending. The only reason it hasn't happened before now was I assume he didn't really care. Maybe this is the turn of a friendly card (worst song ever?)?

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Becuase he would have to split the profit when he sells.

Essentially, he "cashed out" two days ago. He can pay his wife's father, keep a healthy $60,000,000 profit and still own half the team (plus).

lethargytartare repped this.
  9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well half of that, since half is going to his wife as soon as the divorce is finalized.:)

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  10. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am telling you she just cashed out her half. They sold the two mansions and “bought a smaller house”. They have been liquidating for the last year. This is a divorce plain and simple. Young couples just don’t liquidate their assets like that.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  11. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Then his money spigot is 100% dried up , hopefully he'll be better off selling his assets . I can't imagine he'll owe her alimony or support , isn't she worth more $$?

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #138 xtomx, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Well, California is, unlike Illinois, a Community-property state, so we'll see.

Did the house sell?

Edit: Yes, it did sell, for (ironically) $40,000,000 less than the asking price.
    They listed it at $125,000,000 and it sold for $85,000,000.
    Ironic, as $40,000,000 is just a tad more than what they paid for the Fire! (I think it was 37 or so).

Amazingly, they bought the house for $20,000,000 in 2002.
    That is an incredible return on investment.

http://www.yolandaslittleblackbook....an-andrew-hauptman-house-125-million-bel-air/
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/bronfman-scion-sells-bel-air-manse-for-85-million-1520531453

Their 'new' house is cost a mere $16,000,000.
    http://www.yolandaslittleblackbook....len_bronfman_hauptman_brentwood_park_mansion/

From the article linked above, something we all knew, of course, but still funny to read:
    For those who missed Yolanda’s last story, the Bronfman-Hauptmans are a low-profile but inordinately wealthy family who have long resided in Los Angeles. Our Mr. Hauptman is a Harvard MBA who was formerly a Universal Studios exec and is now the owner of the Chicago Fire, a Major League Soccer team. He is also the owner of Andell Entertainment, which has produced several big-screen feature films.

However, it is Mr. Hauptman’s wife Ellen Bronfman Hauptman who has the real big bucks. This lady, y’all, is an heiress to the multi-billion dollar Seagram Company liquor fortune. Her father, Charles Bronfman, is a legit billionaire philanthropist (according to Forbes).

More likely the other way around. If anything, she will owe him maintenance.

goldclover and chiladd repped this.
  13. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget they bought one house and built the other which was next to it. They actually sold 2 houses.

14. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    שӞᵽªᴙǡ @TrueMartyParty

#MerchBobo is hearing that Nelson received a bonus for facilitating the partial sale of #cf97. The figure is in the millions. Nice to see him doing well for himself while driving this club into the ground.

15. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What a goddamn snake.

Joe in CO and xtomx repped this.
  16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So NRod is our Keane money signing/This years big summer window signing

lethargytartare repped this.
  17. Jdgedwill

Jdgedwill Member+

Jun 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mansueto is about as good as you could hope for. He is a billionaire and is a self made billionaire. He didnt marry anyone or inherit his wealth, he made it. He founded Morningstar which is a household name, everyone knows who they are and Mutual Fund companies strive to get that Morningstar 5 star rating. When building his company he took a lower salary to ensure his company would succeed. He is a visionary, his company is very New York-centric but chose to stay in Chicago himself because he loves Chicago.

I dont think the 49% is going to last long. Likely this is going to be a transitionary period, maybe the other 51% is after the divorce is settled. Mansueto isnt going to allow his name to be attached to the type of failure the Fire is known for. I think Nelson will either become less visible and have a short leash on his big mouth.

A McDonalds assistant manager acts 100 times more professional Nelson does. Hes been able to get away with it because Hauptman isnt any different. Mansueto will shut it down.

goldclover, splunge63, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  18. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The "refresh the brand" comment a few weeks back makes more sense after the 49% sale.

19. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago

I've never heard of them. What do they do?

20. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were the first one to rate mutual funds kind of like Consumer Reports for mutual funds

Fighting Illini repped this.
  21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I present to you sir cocaine and gambling.

22. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the exact date I can expect anything good to come of this before I write it off a business as usual? Things have gotten much worse very quickly. I'm kind of leaning toward the day after the regular season ends. If I don't see any measurable improvement in ANYTHING I will just assume this guy is in for the expansion fees.

LIZZIE repped this.
  23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nah, I think I'd give it until January or something like that.

24. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez's words from his press conference keep ringing in my ears. He said that all fans have to decide for themselves how emotionally invested they want to be in the Fire. Basically saying that it is what it is, and if you're so emotionally upset about it, then you just have to deal with yourself or reduce your emotional investment.

It's really made me question why I care as much as I do. Without question it has been harder supporting the Fire the past 10 years than the previous 10 years. I'm debating just becoming a casual fan instead of a hard core one who watches all the games and buys merchandise every year. It might be nice to disengage a bit. Not renounce the team completely, but just watch a handful of games on tv, not buy any merchandise and see if things get any better under Mansueto.

SixKick, GHjelm, LIZZIE and 4 others repped this.