Has watching footy on TV/online become out of reach for low-income fans?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BIGHMW, Sep 27, 2018.

?

Has football become TOO expensive given the costs of equipment and TV service???

1. I agree, this is bullshit. Too much corporate greed, shame on you NBC/Comcast!!!

100.0%
  2. I disagree, I can bear with spending the $$$ to spend no matter the cost.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 BIGHMW, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    I certainly think so, with NBC Sports/Comcast launching their bullshit NBC Sports Gold service IMO football has pretty much become inaccessible to those of us, including myself, who are severely low-income and can no longer afford it.

With the explosion of streaming, media companies (including Comcast, Time Warner, and yes, even 21st Century Fox) have gone "all in" with streaming services of their own, including Gold, Fox Sports Go, and yes, even Bleacher Report, offering services giving fans access to sports on their computer, tablet and smartphone.......but with one catch.......

You have to pay for it, that's right, pay for it, ON TOP OF having a required TV provider AND a Roku box (or Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast), gee, lets see how much this will add:

Satellite/cable service - $150.00/month
    Internet service - varies dependent on speed and connection (DSL/cable/4G LTE)
    Roku box - $75.00-$100.00
    Required streaming subscription service like BleacherReport.com - $2.95/match or $10.00/month for the whole season, or Premier League Pass $50.00/season

= almost $300.00/year just to watch football on TV.

That is unacceptable, especially since very low-income people like myself can no longer afford to see any footy on TV unless we want to pay the exorbitant amount of money they want, this is bullshit, footy fans do not want to be fleeced by the media companies like this!!!

....and just think, when NBC Sports Group launched its coverage of the Premier League back in 2013, many of us thought we had it made, our team, every match, every single week, on TV or online.....for free!!! Just for having NBCSN on our service, with League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League and Champions League coverage on TV on a very regular basis on either Fox or BeIN Sports.

But not anymore...... media companies are getting more greedy, they don't give a shit about the viewers, only their "bottom line", it has already become the norm, after all, as a Gooner this is the fourth time in less than a month in which i cannot enjoy The Gunners in action, with our 2 of our EPL matches (away to Newcastle 2 weeks ago and at home to Watford this Saturday) and the most recent Europa League and League Cup matches not available on TV to all of us who already spend TONS of $$$ (well my late mother's trust fund anyways until it runs out) on watching ONLY OUR TEAM play every game no matter the competition.

What do you think???

NorthBank and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Honestly, for broke mofos it’s never been cheaper bc there are so many streams and ways to download games that you can just about watch every game for free.

For those willing/able to pay for the content it’s not that bad either. Minimum to watch every game:

Roku express stick= $30 (can use computer instead)
    Sling blue (nbcsn)=$25/mo
    NBC gold=$50/yr
    B/R live(Europa)=$9.99/mo
    ESPN+ (League/FA cup)=$4.99/mo

Of course you only have to pay for BR and ESPN while we are in the cups. But in total that’s about $400 for the season if we go to finals. And also, you get the other programming too—champions league, Italian league, bravo, cnn, etc.

This is what I have plus Netflix and amazon and the old over the air antenna. My cable bill was about $100 for TV and the boxes/dvr, sports packages, etc. Despite all the new monetizing I’m still way in the black from what I used to spend, and even with all that some games just weren’t televised—early rounds of the cups.

While I get your grief being in a financial pickle, I think you just got spoiled with NBC the last two seasons. Best bet to save money is to ditch your cable or sat and get the roku with sling or YouTube TV or Fubo.

maskito repped this.
  3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Gold doesn’t require a TV service subscription. That $150/mo for sat TV service is where you are getting hosed.

My setup...
    Internet: $80/mo
    Netflix: $11/mo
    Hulu: $8/mo
    HBO Now: $15/mo
    Over the air antenna: $0/mo
    Gold: $5/mo

That puts me at $119/mo. I could honestly drop HBO for 9 months of the year and just watch during the winter months to save another $135 annually and have just as good service. Buying a used Roku or Apple TV is under $100 and is necessary for the cord cutting anyway. I cut the cord in early 2013. I’ll never go back to a traditional TV service.

The biggest money saver when I cut the cord was giving fewer ********s about watching sports. It just isn’t worth the time investment when I’d rather be hanging out with my kid or riding my bicycle. I’ll put a game on when we can’t go outside due to weather or whatever, but I just don’t miss it anymore.

maskito repped this.
  4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I don’t think you can watch every match live on NBC gold.

5. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at this weekend’s schedule, it appears you would need NBCSN to watch City or CNBC to watch Spuds. Based on that knowledge, they do hose you a bit if your team is on one of the top matches. Yea, that stinks. I’d have no ethical dilemma watching a pirated stream on those days that Arsenal is on NBCSN or CNBC. I’d likely just ride my bike and catch the highlights or replay later. [emoji5]

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 NorthBank, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    So the $119/mo that @Quentin pays is more than what my 2-TV cable account costs, which is a moderate package plus a Sports Pak... which in years past, used to get me every footy match I'd want to watch on FOX, NBC, ESPN, BeIN.

But that was before ESPN got the rights to EFL/FA cups and put that behind their ESPN+ paywall. Before NBC started shifting a significant % of EPL matches behind their GOLD paywall. Before UCL & UEL got stuck behind Turner's B/R paywall.

Also I believe @crazy150 is right... that $119/mo does not allow you to stream Arsenal league matches that appear on NBCSN or CNBC, which are probably where we're going to appear the vast majority of the time.

And you have to believe we are only at the beginning of this trend towards streaming. There is going to be more fragmentation, more individual streaming packages you have to subscribe to. And watch those $5/mo rates start to creep up, once they capture a critical mass of subscribers.

I have to believe that the costs are going to be higher in the new streaming era than they were in the salad days of cable TV, which aren't that long ago... maybe 2015? And maybe significantly highern at that! I imagine the media companies are salivating at the potential for more revenue streams and bigger profit margins.

Last but not least I haven't even brought up the cumbersome hassle of setting up and managing all of these different subscriptions, not to mention the different streaming GUI's which have different controls and idiosyncrasies and relative quality. Nor the lack of integration between streaming and DVR's which allowed us to retain/watch content forever, dependent only on the size of your disk.

There are too many steps backwards with the current streaming model for me to be happy about it. And cost is only one of those backward steps. Maybe these issues will be resolved at some point, but I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect we will look back on those salad days of cable TV with more fondness than we ever imagined.

FYI, there's been quite a lot written about all of this in recent years, over on the TV forum threads: NBC, ESPN, FOX, etc.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    p.s. to @BIGHMW, I empathize with your money constraints, but I think sadly you're just gonna have to make a few tough budget decisions if you want to watch your team regularly. For instance, GOLD costs $50/yr. That is probably quite a bit less than one of those new kits you just bought. I know those bring you joy, but maybe you have to just weigh the relative joy of kits vs watching your team? Buy one less kit and sign up for Gold?

p.p.s. I think you should continue to stay away from the pirated streams (i.e. from Reddit) as replacement for NBC Gold. Sure they are free, but the risk, as you already know so well from your Wolfsburg days, is probably not worth the $50/yr savings.

My 2 cents. Good luck to you. And everyone. :)

maskito and BIGHMW repped this.
  8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    His $119 includes internet though which I assume you also pay for in addition to your two tv.

I’m not sure I agree with the increase in costs with the streaming. Basically for some people with well negotiated packages, it might increase costs but for most I doubt that.

For example, where I live every cable tv subscriber pays a local sports fee of $6.75 per month and a local channel fee of $8.00 per month. The sports is so you can watch one of the shittiest baseball teams in the league. You cannot opt out of either. Add to that 12$ in taxes and fcc fees. Add to that $10 for HD, $10 for dvr and $10 for additional TVs and your up to $57.

I have sling tv which gets me nbcsn, Fox sports, local nbc, CNN and the wife bravo and hgtv. Total cost $32/mo with dvr and taxes. Also, if PlayStation or google has a better deal/package I can easily switch at any point.

I add to that Netflix $11, nbc gold $5, ESPN+ $5, BR live $10. And I probably won’t need to pay The last two at least 3-4 months of the year. So annual total is about $700 or $59/mo. That just over the $57 for cable without any packages so I won’t even get started on the packages.

Also with the streaming you can vote with your wallet and not just pay for access to the slop buffet. Why should my dad who hates soccer pay for my footy and why should I pay for his shitty Fox News.

Of course the real irony here is NBC is owned by Comcast and Sling is owned by dish. So maybe at some point they do jack up the rates but for now I’m okay with the landscape.

9. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Quentin, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    @NorthBank My $119 includes $5/mo for Gold premier league pass ($50/season comes out to $4.19/mo to get it all on the same units). I did miss that the games on CNBC or NBCSN would be unavailable, though.

I’m easily saving $500/yr versus my dish cost when I had a basic sports plan that would get me PL matches. I have literally never missed DVR. Different strokes.

10. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, my late mother's trust fund pays for DISH and the internet, but will not pay for any of the extra shit I just mentioned.

....oh, and don't forget, i was told by my executor of my late mother's trust fund, that starting this past month, I also have to shell out a whopping $300.00/month in rent (I only get $873.00/month from Social Security for my incurable developmental and psychiatric issues and have had them for life) because the trust fund is starting to get very low, in years past (from 2000 until this past month) I was pretty much living rent-free and had a (somewhat) job and had all sorts of perks as the trust was paying for almost everything except:

Here is what I pay for

car insurance: $80.00/month

vehicle tabs: $100.00/year/vehicle

phone (landline until I got rid of it/DSL internet $100.00/month

(after I ditched the landline because the phone monopoly [CenturyLink] kept jacking up the rates, and moved my internet service to DishNET the trust was willing to take the cost as part of the DISH bill)

(now I have both wireless cellphone-based home phone and my iPhone SE thanks to Alice dad, Gene, who pays for our phone service so Alice can have a phone)

any and all car repairs - varies

Gas - varies

website maintenance (for my official site BIGHMW.com) $25.00/month

....and now, as fore-mentioned, the $300.00/month rent as of this past month

and no food stamps, as I can't get them because of my trust fund but yet that very same trust fund won't pay for food.

As for the kits, I always wanted to show my Gunner pride by being current and by donning them and steal a few downloads that Cindy Margolis would've been getting, plus I pretty much spent a TON of $$$ more on my LA Kings gear over my 44 years as a Kings fan (1975), including my massive collection of memorabilia, including gear from our 2 Stanley Cup Championships, jerseys, and all sorts of gear and merch I have gotten since moving to Port Townsend back in 1987 (age 21), and I had a ton of Kings gear I brought up with me when I moved.

...and yes I HAVE been criticized for my ridiculous spending habits, as people (including my manager Len Enders) have ripped me for buying gear that winds up being only worn once, mainly for one of my Cindy Margolis-style downloads of myself, and also putting my fandom for teams over basic needs like groceries, and paying my bills, but what I AM afraid of, is that Cindy Margolis would probably drop me from her Facebook friends list (we have been friends for 8 years and all of you already know of our Erikson Center past as high school classmates there in 1983-84) if I didn't live with gusto like she does despite the fact that I make a lot less than she does and she happens to live in a mansion in Beverly Hills.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Reddit soccer streams

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    This is what I used to do, but then I got lucky and my mobile provider bought the rights to the Prem, CL and EL streaming rights and gave it to everyone using them.

So I pay $30 for my phone and get that with it.

But honestly when money is tight I stream. Pay my 89 a month for the net and watch online. Run a cable from my PC to my TV.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice!! Can't imagine any USA mobile providers doing that.

I also used to do the pirate streams quite a bit in years past... via MyP2P, Livefooty, and then more recently Reddit. BUT those streams are always risky, even if you use decent security software, so I've been weaning myself, and going legit.

I just wish the various providers would recognize that many of us customers are "doing the right thing" and they should sell their products in a fair, reasonable way, in recognition of us doing this, but also to incentivize others to leave behind R/soccerstreams and do legit subscriptions.

Wishful thinking??

BIGHMW repped this.
  14. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    What do you think is reasonable. Say, nbc or ESPN or Netflix bought the us rights for all English footy plus CL/EL. So you pay one subscription for all your teams games. What would you pay?

Looks like NBC pays about 165m per season, turner pays 65m for CL/EL, and couldn’t find FA/EFL, but say those are another 30m combined.

That’s about 260m per season for coverage of all English teams. Of course if one entity were to collect all these assets, there would probably be bidding wars so call it $300m/season, then they have broadcasting costs and profits so they’d probably need 1B per season revenue.

At 30$, they’d need 3.3 million is households (~2.6%) to pay that? I doubt they’d hit the target. More likely they’d need to charge $40 or more. Is that reasonable?

15. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be ESPN/Disney that owns exclusive rights to both the EFL Cup and FA Cup matches, and I think this is bullshit!!!

As for ONE PLAN to stream Arsenal (or insert any team here, even the Football League clubs in all 3 tiers, Championship/League One/League 2 if you wish) in all competitions it should be no more than what NBC/Comcast charges for their Premier League Pass, AND, hopefully we won't be held hostage by them requiring we be subscribed to a TV provider, because that in itself is a scam, it should be a subscription that does not require we have a carrier (DISH/DirecTV/Telco/cable) because even the carriers themselves know that they are losing customers due to the fact that indeed streaming IS THE FUTURE and THE FUTURE IS NOW!!! The WWE doesn't require we have USA Network or carriage for their WWE Network, so why should footy???

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $40/mo seems way too high, just for a few footy competitions.

I guess I feel that no provider should charge more than $3/mo per league/competition. So, if you take Arsenal (or any top English club), they play in 5 competitions, so that would be $15/mo, and that seems about fair.

That's also based on someone who's not a cord-cutter. I still pay good money for my cable package, and for me that plus my DVR is a superior delivery system. YMMV.

As for streaming, we seem to be heading quickly towards fragmentation (NBC vs ESPN vs FOX vs Turner vs ...) and I think it will probably go even further towards micro-fragmentation, where you subscribe for each sport or each competition. NBC has already started to do that with their different subscriptions for EPL, Cycling, etc.

In theory that "a la carte" model could be good for customers... they'd only buy what they want. BUT ONLY if the providers don't get too greedy, and they keep cost per sport/competition relatively low. That's where I come up with the $3/mo idea. But a significant part of me thinks that's a pipe dream.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The $40 is what I guess they’d have to charge to do it add free.

Currently, it’s not so bad. If you just want to see the big matches then you just need TNT and NBCSN which is included in most basic cable packages. Add to that 5$/mo for FA/EFL on ESPN+ and that’s not terrible and will get you everything except 5 EPL games, the Europa league, and some CL games.

There may be a savior down the road though. I do wonder if the sponsors will start to bitch about this and structure their deals according to exposure. If total viewer numbers drop bc of paywall then the sponsors (shirt, stadium, etc) are getting hosed. In the premier league the smaller clubs have equal vote, so if they are collectively not doing well in their sponsorship side because distribution is weak then they will push for exposure clauses in the next tv deal.

BIGHMW repped this.
  18. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I mean Arsenal and basically the EPL at one time was on a subscription-only basis (a "paywall"), and there were separate ones for UCL and the FA Cup. DISH resorted to that back in the early-2000s, not just for footy, but also for cricket, and some boxing and WWE (and ECW and WCW at one time) wrestling PPV's as well right around the time when Arsenal was winning EVERYTHING left-and-right, but, they were hidden behind multiple paywalls for each of their multiple competitions, so I'm sure that some of their shirt sponsors, like O2 and SEGA/Dreamcast before them, in which Arsenal proudly wore proudly on their chest from that same time, were a bit pissed off at having never gotten the proper exposure they could've used here in the States.

Some new/beginner fans, like myself at the time, identified their favorite clubs by their shirt sponsor rather than "The Crest On Their Chest", as I like to call it. I found out about Arsenal at first in the mid-2000s, mainly because of O2, in which sponsored Arsenal's shirts from 2002-06 (around that same time Manchester United's shirts were sponsored by O2's then-biggest rival, Vodafone), and then dug deep and did my research on the club and found out about Arsene Wenger and The Invincibles and the rich history our our chosen club. Some newbie fans may now probably know Arsenal more for the "Fly Emirates" sponsor logo rather than for the great players that represent UNAI'S RED ARMY, or any of Arsene Wenger's past clubs. More exposure back then came via Gillette's "Champions" series of ads in which The King Himself Thierry Henry was in along with Roger Federer and Tiger Woods.

Here is that clip:

But yes, it was (and always will be) the O2 shirt sponsor that at first brought me to the Gunner Nation, and lead me to eventually become a full-time Gooner in 2013, after my old desktop caught that infamous virus which disabled it to the point of permanently going away from streaming Wolfsburg matches in which I did from 2010-13, to NBC and the EPL, and specifically Arsenal, but now it's up Unai Emery to lead our Red Army back to our rightful place back in the top 4!!! COYF'n'G!!!