Has any manager ever won a continental competition in two different confederations?

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by themodelcitizen, Jan 30, 2011.

1. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has any manager ever won a continental club competition (Champions League basically) in two (or more) different confederations?

What about national? If Australia had beat Japan yesterday, Holger Osieck would have had North American (Canada 2000) and Asia. He has an Asian CL to his name as well.

I'm betting if there is anyone, it's a Brazilian... maybe a Copa America and Asian Cup?

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good question! I found informations about the winning coaches for the UEFA CL, the Copa Libertadores and the AFC CL.

It seems like no manager ever managed :)rolleyes:) to win UEFA CL + AFC CL, UEFA CL + Copa or AFC CL + Copa.

I try to find more informations about the winning managers from CONCAF CL, CAF CL and OFC CL.

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Bela Guttmann probably came as close as anyone, and almost managed it within the space of a few months. In May 1962 he won the European Cup with Benfica (having won also in 1961). By September he was in charge of Penarol who lost in a playoff in the Copa Libertadores (then the Copa de Campeones)final to Santos after a 4-4 draw over two legs. Had away goals been used then, Penarol would have won over the two legs.

4. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Almost a decade-long bump here but of course Marcello Lippi's AFC Champions League in 2013 was added to his 1996 Champions League win with Juventus, satisfying the requirements of the thread.

And how could I have missed that Francisco Maturana has won the Copa Libertadores along with the old AFC Cup Winners Cup and Super Cup (but not the Champions League) with Al-Hilal. Throw in a Copa America in 2001 for Colombia and that's quite a transcontinental resumé.