Harvey Weinstein

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by stanger, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You don't hear Melania saying boo. Didn't Trump pick her up at a nude photo shoot? :D

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me. Sleaseballs and the women that support them for "reasons".

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I wouldn't phrase it that way, but this is definitely not the right time for her to go there. This Hollywood thing is not done unraveling. Every hour there's another model or actress sharing stories. Amazon Studios has already been implicated. Jeff Bezos of course being the owner of Washington Post and a big Clinton booster. Who knew what and why did nobody do or say anything?

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like when Alec Baldwin came out as a raging homophobe. He got a pass because of "all the good things he had done" even though he was obviously anathema to core progressive values.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The one where Bill's sexscapades on Baby Raper Island come to light.

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will never come to light.

But someone needs to shut Hillary up on the Trump/Weinstein comparisons. Not that there aren't logical comparisons, there are, but she shouldn't be the one making them.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/hillary-clinton-compares-weinstein-to-trump/vi-AAtoZAP

Her dismissal of her husband's issues and her dismissal of Bill's accusers just screams hypocrisy to rational people.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    An accuser of our Pussy Grabber in Chief is subpoenaing campaign documents related to his pussy grabbing activities.

A woman who said President Trump groped her a decade ago subpoenaed him for all documents from his campaign about every woman who has accused him of sexually inappropriate behavior.

Summer Zervos, a former contestant on "The Apprentice," filed the subpoena in March as part of her defamation suit against Trump for saying she and other accusers were lying. The subpoena did not appear in court files until last month, and BuzzFeed News first reported on its filing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...s-sex-allegations-documents-article-1.3564645

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dismissals is putting it mildly. And of course, the same Hollywood celebrities who are now suddenly and belatedly horrified by Harvey Weinstein's behavior towards women, and who -rightly of course but probably motivated more by political opportunism than by genuine disgust over his actions - were horrified by Donald Trump's behavior towards women, never seemed to have any problem whatsoever with the Clintons.

As Paula Jones said,

"What did they do for us when we were sexually assaulted by the man that they actually support? I mean their brains are so twisted and so fried. Where were they when we were out there telling our stories again about the Clintons, and how Hillary enabled him to do what he did, and then she covered it up and smeared us. What about us? We are women and nobody came to our defense, especially from Hollywood."

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost like America has a bipartisan sexism problem.

flowergirl, sitruc, Val1 and 3 others repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Are the comparisons wrong? Is what she is saying out of line with what others are saying?
    Agreed, and her support of B. Clinton shows her to be self-serving.

But have you heard how she described 45 during the debates?

11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you read my post? The comparison is valid but she shouldn't be making it. If it truly was an issue for her she should not have assisted her husban in covering up his transgressions and smearing his accusers. Do you not get that?

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This was a common refrain from moderate conservative women who would have been persuaded to vote against Trump based on the Access Hollywood tapes, and other allegations. But the fact that it was the Clintons trying to capitalize on the scandal just screamed hypocrisy. And then the Anthony Wiener scandal broke at the worst possible time. Votes left on the table.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #88 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Really a powerful, rich, (mostly) white guy problem.

Working in a corporate environment for years the stunning ineptitude (bordering on criminal) of the HR & legal depts at places like Fox and Weinstein's company is so f#cked up. Or it might've been purposeful in the case of Weinstein's employers.

A male co-worker at an old company I worked for really didn't like a female co- worker who was legitimately lazy & whiny. She went out for months on maternity leave and right before she was to come back they were discussing annual bonuses in a meeting. When they said she was getting a bonus too he said "Why? She hasn't been here for months and does shit when she is here!"

He got a call from HR later that day.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America has a bipartisan _________ problem with practically every issue.

I blame twitter

Belgian guy, Moishe, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Problem pre-dates Twitter. I think we can trace it directly to the lack of promotion/relegation in Major League Soccer.

Belgian guy, Moishe, chaski and 4 others repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Should we compare this to Penn State? You have a villain and a powerful entity covering up a shitty culture. The victims are different, but the Coreys were supposedly blow up dolls that were passed around for years in their pre teens.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame the Jacobins all sitting together on one side of the Assembly..
    Damn Frenchies...

Moishe and Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    What about his best friend of over 25 years apparently unaware of his mate's disgustingly predatory nature - Quintin Tarantino is supposedly devastated !!

How could he be the only one in Tinsel town not to know ??

As regards your last point ... allegedly two of the most powerful women in the TV world one currently spouting on Loose Women and the other heads a child protection group were both fully aware of Saville's activities - for decades!

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let's hold off on "the Clintons." One is (very likely) a sexual offender. The other is not.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a minimum she was an enabler, just like JoePa. They knew what was going on but didn't want to upset the applecart.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    The other is basically corrupt ...

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Even if true (which I dispute), that is unrelated to this topic.

soccernutter repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Unfortunately in politics, it's not that simple. You're tarnished by association. This isn't me making a personal judgement. It's just the way things play out on the campaign trail and around the dinner tables across America. Politics is a simple losing/winning exercise ... no moral victories and excuses.

If Ivanka Trump ever decides to run for office, she won't be able to escape the association to Donald either.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New Yorker on Mike Pence portrays a very interesting take on morality and ambition.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As is Ms. Weinstein, as are all the Weinstein accusers who were silent all these years. But I will not throw that first stone. I know who the guiltiest party is in such events, by far, and is it neither a spouse nor somebody on the receiving end of the assault.

flowergirl repped this.