Harvey Weinstein

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by stanger, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This twitter thread should be the default reply to Trump supporters who are suddenly outraged at sexual assault ...

Another gem :

flowergirl repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to come back to this.

This is another aspect which we have talked about over in the rape/sexual assault thread. The bolded can be looked at from at least two perspectives. The first is that it is only men want/act on sex when in a position of power. That characterization is poor and it also generally assumes that women want sex less, and that powerful men are unable to control themselves. Both of those are wrong and both continue to perpetuate and allow the myth that men should be excused for any part of their behavior because they are men. Held accountable, sure, but excused which lessens the behavior that much more. I mean along the lines of "He raped that woman, and he should be held fully accountable. But he's a man, and men do those things." What Weinstein did is use his position of authority and power to take advantage of those women who do not have authority and power. And even then, it is not clear cut, as Taylor Swift demonstrated (even in winning, her claims are questioned).

The second perspective that needs to be looked at is the general lack of women in a position of authority and power in Hollywood (and in general). Women want power, too. And I would guess that women in power would want and use sex just like men do. But that joke that Seth McFarlane made was about women having the power and influence to be independent, and not have to rely on another male in a position of power who will see things just slightly different even in support.

Agreed, and with the hindsight that we now have, he really was saying more than just a joke. But the really bad part is that it appears that none of those in the room who laughed did anything 4 years ago.

Excape Goat repped this.
  3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's total bullshit that this guy is trying to sell this as sex addiction.
    As if people with sex addiction turn to sexual assault/rape as a rule.

BTW, I am already going to predict that this guy will be let back into the industry after a period. Probably not next year, but in 2-3 years.

If you doubt this, remember that Woody Allen and Roman Polanski still have careers and Mel Gibson was given another chance too after waiting for a long enough time.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They may not be the only ones who want it, but I'm damn sure that they're the ones who do it, about 99% of the time. Now true they are likelier to be in power. But for whatever reasons, nature or nurture, women just aren't that into pressuring a guy for sex, just because they can.

I've had both women and men as authority figures over me, and the one time I was harassed to trade sex for opportunity, it was a man. I would have expected no less.

Excape Goat and flowergirl repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you’re saying hat Weinstein was as important to Dems as Ailes and Billo were to GOPs.

I’ll just let this stupidity marinate for a while.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what he was saying at all.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Typical ... Hiding behind the shield of #bothsidesdoitism. Just because something is not a perfect comparison, the whole discussion is void. It's as if self reflection is impossible unless measured against whatever GOP is doing. We saw how that turned out in 2016. "At least we're not like those other bad guys." Never mind trying to be better for its own sake.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The comparison isn’t just not perfect. It’s a perfect example of bothsidesdoit.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Any comparison of Weinstein and Ailes fails immediately. I didn't know that Weinstein was a Democrat until this week (although I would assume as such). Ailes is as much as anybody the creator of the modern GOP. They don't belong in the same sentence, unless that sentence is "two old jackasses who harass women."

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are you serious? I haven't heard that name in years.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    He has made five movies in the last seven years.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow... just wow.

Belgian guy repped this.
  13. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will get a loud standing ovation after apologizing at the Oscars when he receives his lifetime achievement award

Belgian guy repped this.
  14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at the same time, those clapping will be targeting someone else that is accused of the same but not politically on the same side.

And then the idiots on both sides will rage.

NORML repped this.
  15. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Also the fact that I've heard lots of people saying the DNC or Dems should give back the money that Weinstein donated. I never heard that once about Ailes. Yes, we should denounce anyone who does anything like this, but why are we holding Dems to a much higher moral standard? Weinstein was a rich guy who donated a lot of money. Ailes donated a lot of money and founded and ran an entire network dedicated to the GOP. There's just a wee bit of a difference.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's a lot, but hasn't he only donated hundreds of thousands over the years?

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    = Koch Bros

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To be honest, I don't think many people are in position to get on their moral high horse. Democrats shut up when Bill Clinton was President, and we knew he was pressuring women for sex. Trump voters, forget about it.

This stuff should be an automatic disqualification for, well, anything -- regardless of political affiliation.

flowergirl, Belgian guy, Val1 and 2 others repped this.
  19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Quick question - the comparison to Trump is probably not accurate. What a comparison to Clinton be more appropriate? Why or why not?

Also, is there a list, a comprehensive list, of all the women that have accused Trump? More importantly, what has been the outcome?

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Ask and ye shall receive ... Click on the tweet to see the whole thread.

Ninni Laaskonen, Jessica Drake, Karena Virginia, Cathy Heller, Summer Zervos, Kristin Anderson, Jessica Leeds, Rachel Crooks, Mindy McGillivray, Natasha Stoynoff, Jennifer Murphy, Cassandra Searles, Temple Taggart McDowell and Jill Harth.

There was also an anonymous accusation of rape, later withdrawn due to death threats from Trump supporters. In addition there was an accusation of rape later withdrawn by x wife Ivanka Trump. There was that infamous night in Moscow, including the proposition of Miss Hungary. Also other accusations that fell short of assault like intruding into the changing rooms of Miss Teen USA contestants. And accusations of bullying, like the infamous Alicia Machado.

sitruc and soccernutter repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that Trump is just the latest to get away with rape and get elected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Our own William Jefferson Clinton was a trailblazer back in the 90's.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #bothsidesdoit

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Gennifer Flowers...a blast from the past. I remember she had a big news conference to cash in on her "fame" and Stuttering John asked if Clinton wore a condom and if she would be sleeping with any other presidential candidates. :ROFLMAO:

stanger repped this.
  25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hillary just compared Trump to Weinstein while denying the comparison to Bill.

The sooner she shuts up the better.