Harvard

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by sockernutt21, Jul 14, 2006.

1. sockernutt21

sockernutt21 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Harvard makes it official today - Erica Walsh gets the nod and makes her return to the Ivy League. Wonder if Calise was passed up or what happened. I guess they could have been looking for a female. Should be interesting to see if her position as the U-17 assistant can get her better players.

2. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Wow, I love that combination. I will be very interested to see how the team comes along. Both Walsh and Calise are great people.

3. objective1

objective1 New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Interesting turn of events. Sometimes the difference between self-respect and no self-respect is a paycheck;Calise might need to stay for the pay, but probably wants to check out asap, maybe to...Cornell? If an experienced, successful and universally well-liked male can't get a head coaching job in the Ivies anymore, that will be noteworthy. Don't know much about Walsh's player development ability, but time will tell. Pretty important when dealing with admissions staff as choosy as Harvard's. Anyway, looks like Ivy soccer might be on the uptick. Even after 2006 graduations, Yale, Princeton, Penn and maybe Dartmouth and Harvard should field decent teams.

4. The Rookie

The Rookie New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Just out of curiousity does Calise want to be a head coach? I have only heard good things about him as well. Maybe he did not want it? I know nothing. Just asking.

5. Strikerdad10

Strikerdad10 Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I'm with the rookie in wondering whether he even applied for the job. I talked with him on the sidelines once and asked him that same question and his response was that at that point in his life he liked being an assistant and didn't have any current aspirations to be a head coach. He liked the teaching part of being an assistant and the recruiting he didn't envy all the political BS the head coaches had to put up with and dealing with the administration. His love is just coaching. Now whether or not his desires changed when the job came open....who knows. But if he now wants to be a head coach I think it's just a matter of time.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harvard Mens soccer is finished for 2016:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/11/4/soccer-suspended-scouting-report-harvard/

Athletics Director Robert L. Scalise wrote in an email to Harvard student athletes that he decided to cancel the rest of the team’s season because the “practice appears to be more widespread across the team and has continued beyond 2012, including in 2016.”

“As a direct result of what Harvard Athletics has learned, we have decided to cancel the remainder of the 2016 men’s soccer season,” Scalise wrote. “The team will forfeit its remaining games and will decline any opportunity to achieve an Ivy League championship or to participate in the NCAA Tournament this year.”

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Good for Harvard.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999