Hartwick Suicide Watch Called Off

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GOWICK, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Damn, was Brockport a DI school back then? I play with someone who played there a few years later, always assumed it was DIII.

2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    You can't mention St Lawrence Hockey without mentioning Clarkson University, another DI/DIII hybrid just 10 miles away. A few years ago CU claimed to have the most mens hockey wins over its history (which started in 1921) and had never won the NCAA title (although they reached the final in 1966 and the womens team won it all a couple of years ago).

msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    http://www.hartwickhawks.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc
    A quick look at their roster has close to half from UK and Scan. While these guys may keep their aid -or not?- until they graduate, obviously they cannot continue to recruit internationally with zero 'ships (Div3).

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many of the kids from Scan., they are already on a free ride courtesy from their country of origin.

espola repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are correct of course, my bad...hopefully my apology is accepted.

espola repped this.
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Can't cut that, and if they are having a good college soccer career, they will be attractive to bigger schools.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    They could barely take care of business vs. Fredonia and Geneseo. What were they doing playing D-I?

9. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the initial announcement to the teams, Hartwick did not promise to honor their aid past this year. After an uproar by the women's water polo team, the Board, finally this week, promised the equal of this year's aid for just next year and only if the men did not remain and play D3 soccer.

10. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Dallas Baptist is D1 for baseball. The NCAA rule is one Division for all sports, but schools like Hartwick are grandfathered in...once they step down they can never come back without elevating the entire athletic program.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. GauchoFreg

GauchoFreg Member

Nov 24, 2004
    A couple things. Up until the early 70s, all college teams participated in the same tournament which is why you saw some very small schools that are now d3 competing against the d1 schools.
    Losing Hartwick to D3 is a blow to the history of D1 college soccer. A couple years ago I had set up a ranking system for college soccer programs based on their NCAA tournament performance and by this Hartwick was the #6 program in the country in both the 70s and 80s. Even though they faded this past 15 years or so, they were still the #17 program from 1959 to present.

familyfirst repped this.