Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- SPOILERS!!! [R]

Discussion in 'Books' started by Val1, Jul 21, 2007.

1. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    As I understand it, the wand would have died with Dumbledore even though Snape killed him because Dumbledore had arranged his death with Snape, meaning that Snape would never have actually defeated Dumbledore. But before Snape could actually follow through on the plans, Draco Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore and therefore won the allegiance of the wand.

Had Malfoy not disarmed Dumbledore, the wand would have died with Dumbledore because he wasn't defeated in the true sense of the word.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - lots of great stuff in there! Basically a preview of the types of information that will be found in the upcoming encyclopedia.

3. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addendum: a better, more complete transcript can be found on this page.

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORE complete? That last one took me forever to read through. Thanks for the heads up!

5. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, going through the second transcript I realized that in the first transcript there were weird errors, some things repeated and out of order, and a missing question or two even though the answers were still there. The second transcript has everything as it should be.

6. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Great book.

Fred dieing sucked though.

And i thought it ended to soon after Voldy died, four pages to be exact. Would have liked more character interaction with Ginny, Hagrid and George but Harry was wrecked and suppose JK didnt want to drag out the sadness. Though it may have brought more closure.

The epilogue was nice to give us a happier feeling when finally setting the book down.

7. ImageVerification

ImageVerification New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You know, I definitely agree with this assessment. I can't remember exactly, but in my mind, I seem to remember that all other books ended with at least one chapter of wrap up. I think one chapter of aftermath would have been awesome. A funeral for Snape with Harry doing the eulogy would have been amazing to read. A fitting goodbye to Lupin and Tonks would have been nice too. Instead, you just kind of fall off the end of the book without anything to catch you.

I did love the book and have near withdrawal/depression now that I'm done with it, but something had been bothering me and I don't think it was until I read this that I fully realized what it was.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, you could cut Tonks and Lupin out of the remaining three movies. All they're around for is to have a kid that Harry can be godfather to, and since he is around for his own kids and the rest of the big happy Weasley family, his potential godfatherness is not needed to bring him full circle.

9. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Though in a way the abrupt end shows the whole story really is about Voldemort and Harry.

Book 1 chapter 1: Voldemort has just 'died' and Harry lives.
    Book 7 chapter last: Voldemort has just died and Harry lives.
    Nay they couldnt, their deaths are the same as Freds.

And Teddy echos Harry, its got nothing to do with Harry echoing Sirius, thats just a nice touch i think.

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are only two movies left, and Tonks and Lupin are in the 5th.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too true. But given how minor Tonks wan in OotP, I stand by my assertion that she could be dropped now.

12. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Background characters give a film more scope. Would you be happy if there was just 10 characters and that was it?

Anyway the films are wick.

13. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Jo damn near dropped her in book 7, anyway.

How does one character go from smoking hot, mood-hair-wearing, death-eater-ass-kicking, slightly-older babe to mom to dead without even a word of dialogue?!

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with so much to tie up i guess she just couldn't afford to give so much time to everybody. i just thought it was cruel to give them a baby and then take the baby's parents away. i remembered thinking that once the baby was born that those two would at least be safe.

15. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main thing Jo tried to point out, is Teddy new why his parents died, and he was most likely proud that they died protecting the wizarding world.

After I finished the book, I only really talked to two people about it, I didn't feel like keeping up with all the talk online, I haven't even listened to MuggleCasts' last 3 episodes.

Any guesses on when we'll see this encyclopedia Jo's hinting about?

16. Chiller15J

Chiller15J New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Not for a longgg time. A few years for sure. She probably won't even start for AT LEAST a year. She deserves a long break.

17. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, really. Over 10 years of writing these books, I don't see her starting for a year or two. But she's pointed out she's already missing it, so maybe sooner.

18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She deserves a break? From what? Working full time? Does my husband deserve a year-long break, too? Because I'm pretty sick of the whole 27 days or whatever it is per year... ;-)

Heck, *I* deserve a break. I guarantee my work being a stay-at-home mom is more exhausting than sitting in an ancient castle with bags of money around me, writing something I love to write.

Just havin' fun, ya know...

19. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahah, I was about to say...:mad:

:D

20. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had a mental picture of JKR swimming through her money vault like Scrooge McDuck.

21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an awesome mental image! "Uncle Scrooge!"

22. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Wow, I'm slightly behind the times..just finished reading this book after getting my hands on it a few days ago.

Everything I wanted to say has been stated already.. but since I didnt read about this in here, I must indulge and admit I was a bit of a kid and pumped my fist in the air when Hermione kissed Ron, the ginger basterd deserved that for a long time:D

Anyways, I wont go in depth into the book(s) right now, but there are some rumours going around about the film adaptations..

Book 7 might be split into TWO movies, and Spielberg has been linked to directing it..um....wow.

The director of the 5th will be in charge of the 6th..I'm not too particularly fond of that to be honest, i didnt really like the 5th film..and how that director adapted it in regards from the novel..it was the longest book, yet the shortest movie? And it just seemed really really disjointed in terms of jumping from scene to scene.

The action scenes were pretty lacklustre to me(especially Sirius' death:()

Looks like they wont include fleurs and bills wedding and their cottage in the 7th, as fleur apparently isnt cast in the 6th movie either..

23. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    As long as they don't let Alphonzo Cauron, who directed Prisoner of Azkaban, anywhere near the movie I will be happy.

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I thought Azkaban was much better than the first 2.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in every review of the movies I've seen that one is the standard by which the others are judged. everybody seemed to think he did the best job.