Hargreaves at a TFC game? what do you think

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by jadger, Jun 1, 2007.

1. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because Canada is part of the British Empire, why does it even really matter if he does or doesn't play for Canada? it's not like his abilities alone would somehow qualify us for the WC. We'd still have a national team ranked 90+ not qualifying for anything that we don't host or automatically qualify for.

look up Hamit and Halil Altintop, they were born and raised in Germany, and still play in Germany, but play for the Turkish national team. what was that about melding club and country? I think you are one confused little boy.

2. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Exactly, nice way to repay Canada...

Born in Guyana, moved to Canada at a young age. Started his pro career in the CSL.

All the others you listed moved to Canada before their 10th bday and grew in the Canadian soccer system.

Marc Bircham should never have played for Canada.

3. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Turks have a funny way of assimilating to German culture don't they? :rolleyes:

4. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I just wanted to quote this because it is so right. Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say in a short and concise post.

Just in case people forgot, OH recently said this in his BBC blog - "I was brought up by a British family. It just happened to be in Canada." Could he be any more flippant? This was after years of trying to tell people how 'proud' he was to be Canadian, inspite of his decision. But its good to see that he finally shows his true colours.

I can't believe that any person would consider themself a proud Canadian and still supports the Whore after reading that quote.

5. Shaughno

Shaughno New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    in a van...
    So I guess I should denounce my citizenship? I don't support his actions but I do support and have supported him as a footballer.

I'm as patriotic as anyone else in this country so please don't be so ignorant to make a comment like that because of your personal views of one person.

6. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So let me get this straight: you're all saying Klose, Podolski, Camaronesi are all traitors also?[/QUOTE]

Ibrahamivich...what a nice Swedish name

7. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I know there has been a great number of cases of players going to play for non-native countries. That in itself isn't the problem. What makes Hargreaves' case really stick it to Canadians is that he was not forthright about it. He hid. He let the entire situation drag on--even dragging Germany into it--he went through negotiations and so forth, like he were some star free agent. Worse, is that he went to play for Canada first, but then later he just changed his mind? He made playing for a country something out of convenience. Had he just said 'I'm only going to play for England, and I'm waiting for them to call me up" it would have been more respectable; honourable.

8. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think anyone said that. I don't know enough about their situations, to expertly say whether they traitors or not. Although the Camaronesi situation i understand is quite dubious (as in born and raised in Argentina, played in Argentina etc.).

9. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Don't forget David Trezeguet. He's Also Argentinan.

10. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I guess I'll never understand you then.

Mind you, I doubt you give two shits about the Canadian national team. Which might help explain the situation.

11. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, does anyone else see a double standard here? We love to say that Canada is a great multi-cultural country, with people from all over the world. the cultural mosaic and all that BS. But when someone plays for his native land (England) over his childhood land,(Canada) he is a traitor. Jesus H. Christ arent we a little bit hypocritical?

12. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not watching a soccer team that represents your country does not mean you aren't patriotic. that's like saying a person isn't Canadian for not having atleast a cup of maple syrup a day.

13. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yeah, because ad hominem attacks make your position any stronger too? :rolleyes:

14. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Continue to gloss over the other facts of why people have no respect for him. That's fine.

15. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Don't put words in my mouth. I never tried to link the two. I was just trying to understand why he doesn't mind the Whore's actions. That's all.

16. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    narduch, what does attacking him have in it for you? we know you hate him, get over it. didn't your mother ever tell you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

now that it is established that narduch hates him, can we get some real discussion than some jealous wanker flaming Hargreaves?

17. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Don't be such a jackass. I'm not jealous of people with no integrity. Don't tell me which threads to post in either. You started a thread talking about how cool it would be if the Whore was at BMO Field. Well, you got your answer from one season ticket holder. And believe me, I'm not the only person in my section that is displeased with the Whore's actions.

Like I often state during this issue. I am a sports fan. I have every right to hate and boo an opposing athlete. I guess you would tell Raptor fans not to boo and jeer Vince Carter either.

18. alexintoronto

alexintoronto New Member

Mar 7, 2007
  19. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Haha, I was at Game 5 v. New Jersey. The 'Let's Go Raptors - VC Sucks' chants were awesome. That was the only sporting event I've ever attended in Toronto that rivals a TFC home game.

20. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    just because you hate him, doesn't mean you have to spew it. I wouldnt tell them not to boo Vince Carter, I'm not telling you to not boo him, I'm telling you to stop being so hateful and let other people comment, or at the very least, to create a coherent argument for your case

21. FCStalinists

FCStalinists New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Toronto
    What ever will be will be.

I love this. On one hand we have the posers who say they'd burn his house down given the chance. But we all know that if ever shows up in MLSE uniform- they'd embrace him with total love and devotion.

Rudi...I'm talking to you...

The Stalinists will welcome Canada's best soccer export with a nice round of applause.

Cause we know that if you're a "first world football nation" and you need to be poaching players from our pool-- you have huge problems developing the local talent. It basically says "look at us - we're total crap and we can't even beat Isreal- let alone a South American squad"

And judging by Englands piss poor results..They need him more than we do.

22. alexintoronto

alexintoronto New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    I was there for game 1. I agree, next to TFC, it is the best atmosphere for a sporting event in Toronto.

[​IMG]

I still don't get why I had to take off my shirt though ^

I was always anti-Brett Hull for playing for the USA instead of Canada. I never had the same feelings towards Hargreaves though - I never really knew all the details. I don't like that quote about Canada just being where his birth happened...

I understand why people would be upset, not sure I would boo him, but I don't think I'd cheer for him.

23. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Eh? Bunbury was born in Guyana and raised (from age 2 or 3) in Montreal.

24. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And I'll tell you once again that I will personally buy a TFC Hargreaves jersey and burn it in effigy in the parking lot should this happen.

Why the hell are you bringing my name into this anyways? Before these last two posts, was I even involved in this discussion? :rolleyes:

25. jadger

jadger Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Kanada
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is taken out of context of course, just to skew people who don't know to one side or another. His family lives in England,always have. he has no relation in Canada whatsoever besides his retired parents.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020528/col_jones-sun.html
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2007/04/11/3990978-cp.html
    http://soccer.loop48.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=219