Hardcore Polska: The Warzycha Apologist Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by THOMA GOL, May 30, 2010.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This thread is for you to defend, cuss, and/or discuss.

Disclaimer: The threadstarter does not outwardly express apologizing for or criticizing said head coach (yet) but merely plays the role of debate host.

2. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew have a Supporters Shield and the best start in their history and have been undefeated on the road so far including six points in four days. I'm just saying there was a little coaching involved in this.

4. zemp68

zemp68 Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Maine
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some people will whine just for the sake of whining, regardless of who our coach is (or if we could get anyone better... answer is no).

First it's that he doesn't sub enough, or is too rigid to the four-four-two. Then when the man starts subbing like there's no tomorrow, and - gasp - changes to a 3-5-2 in mid- game, people don't like the subs, or they don't like Andy Iro, or they don't like some a multitude of other things.

IMO, the only thing you can criticize him for is sticking with strikers who don't produce for too long. See Moreno last season, and Lenhart this.

5. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is also the sharpest looking coach in MLS. Impeccable tailoring.

6. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio State type of syndrome (see http://www.firejtressel.com)??

7. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldn't say it any better. Some people are still sipping on the sigi koolaid.

8. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of calories right there!:eek:

9. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

LOUD NOISES!!!!

10. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    this should be a two-stick with other two sticks to the right of BS, Lenhart, Hesmer, and Danny-O in no particular order. it would be stunning to make most of the squad into caricature two sticks and do this as tifo. it would be unparalleled in this league.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    yep yep yep

12. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Agreed some people would whine about paying the taxes after winning the lottery. And maybe we are getting a bit spoiled with the success. There was a game recently we won by one goal and I was complaining to someone who told me i was turning into an OSU fan - "Yeah we won, but not by enough."

Robert is a very good coach who is becoming a great coach. I was talking to him at a pre-season function and a point he made was that he was trying to instill the idea of wanting to play big in big games in the younger guys. Getting it into their heads that they want the big games and they want to play big in them. And that yes, that meant that the goal for them should be to want to go to Europe and play on the biggest games possible (I kind of inferred that one).

Not only is he trying to work on technique, skills, placement, etc. but also he is working on instilling the mindset of a champion player. We have had excellent coaches here in Fitz and Sigi and I firmly believe (and have all along) that Robert is another in that line.

13. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only complaint I have is him sticking sticking with Lenhart and Garey and never using Herrera. The guy may have an attitude problem, but if he's the best option, he plays, especially when his supposed attitude problem stems from him having 3 minutes of playing time after 11 competitive games.

14. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to be making a better efforts at maintaining a core and working on team chemistry this year. Nothing wrong in that.

I have a hunch that the Herrera thing is troubling. You wnat to reward the players that work hard in practice. On the otherhand, a team needs to score goals. Difficult quandry.

Franscis will be here soon-I an curious to see how that plays out in the CM spot.

15. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a new coach, which is obvious to anyone with eyes to see how poorly the team is meeting its opposition on the field. Fire the Crew’s coach now!
    I’ve heard that there is a coach that has won a Supporter’s Shield and has his current team off to their best start in team history maybe we could sign him, ya think?

16. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    With the exception of maybe seventeen (17), I vote to fire all Columbus Crew Big Soccer posters.

17. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said it in the Dallas post-game thread and I'll say it here:

The Columbus Crew will never realize its full potential playing under Robert Warzycha.

19. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any aplogists care to debate this?? The proof is QUITE visible.

20. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will. See my post in the Dallas game thread.

21. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a midfielder. Do you feel that he has properly developed this midfield? Has he made adjustments on the training field all the way to the playing field in regards to helping this midfield possess the ball better?

Remember, I'm simply playing the role of talk show host here

22. bergbros

bergbros Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Galloway
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You saw the recent Colorado match. That was great possession. As you see, RW is juggling the lineup to keep the middies fresh during this stretch of games so consistency will suffer a bit but on the whole they are doing fine. We tend to look at this team in a vaccuum ignoring the other side. Not only is this stretch brutal, we are playing teams peaking at this time like Dallas, RSL and even KC who took out LA away with shocking ease. I saw the comments in the Dispatch today and the team is not happy with the point which is good, however, I do not think this result is all that terrible at this point of the season. The Defense has been fantastic and that has been a hallmark to the team's success all year. RW has to take some credit for that.

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm left scratching my head at why we'd want to fire the guy who is our winning-est head coach by a substantial margin. That really is rather like wanting to fire Jim Tressel.

And the fact of the matter is that many of the complaints against him don't hold water. "He won't play Herrera!" Well, apparently for good reason, since the guy got the ax. "He never makes changes", or the converse "we never have a set first 11" - I find it hilarious that we can have the same charges leveled simultaneously. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that RW wants stability in the way we approach the game (good), and is willing to change which players get the nod when appropriate (also good - for example, Iro nudging Brunner from the 1st 11).

Clearly, RW is a guy that favors players who will consistently put in the work, over guys who won't. This shouldn't be terribly surprising given his history as a player. And it appears to be working fairly well - we've won 1 SS under his tenure, and are in the mix for a 2nd in his second year, progressed far in the Champions League, and look likely to repeat that feat again this time.

Everybody is an armchair general, and thinks they can do better. I've second-guessed RW (and JT, to be honest) about some of their decisions. But could we find someone who would do better? All coaches have their "quirks". We've had quite a good deal of success under RW.

24. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That good ole Ohio State mentality crossing over into Crew ciphers perhaps:p

I'd like to hear him get pissed (at the USSF sewage refs) to the point where he mixes Polish and English vulgarisms:p I watch too many international/espionage movies.

25. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    That has been my position since last year.