Hard work pays off....

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Virginian, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I am starting this thread to say that hard work can pay off for those kids who stick with it. National signing day happened yesterday and I don't think I have heard of anything like this before.

NLI signings from my son's U12 competitive team:
    D1 Kentucky Academy Specialized
    D1 Navy HS/Academy Specialized
    D1 Air Force HS/Academy Specialized
    D1 Stanford Academy Specialized
    D1 Indiana Academy Specialized
    D1 Washington Academy Specialized
    D1 Manhattan HS/Academy Specialized
    D2 Colo. Mines HS/Academy Specialized
    D2 Embry Riddle HS only Specialized
    D3 W&L Academy Specialized
    D3 Elmhust HS only Specialized
    D3 Ohio Northern HS only Multisport
    D3 Sheridan HS only Multisport

Of the 18 kids on the 98/99 age group U12 roster, 13 have plans to play in college.
    I have no idea of any scholarship amounts, so I can't speak to any of that stuff.
    I note kids who played academy, played at least one year of HS and then switched to academy (or vice versa).
    I also note if the kids specialized (only played soccer)

All that being said, only five of the boys have stayed together with the same club since U12. When all is said and done, they were all playing on 6 different club teams by this year.

Only one team, so you can't make sweeping generalizations, but thought it would be interesting to share. The U12 coach who put the team together did have an eye for talent.

StrikerMom and luftmensch repped this.
  2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think a 12 yr old who can really play here and who is thinking playing in college is probably brain washed by his mother and father.

If you ask the same kids when mom and dad are not around they probably still have the dream of playing professionally and not going to college.

3. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    It's an impressive list. Assuming they were playing multiple sports to begin with, when did the 11 who specialized decide to drop other sports?

4. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt, almost all of them did, at one time or another, want to play professionally. Some of the D1 guys still do and of those, almost all of them would have had to make a serious decision if they had been offered a pro contract somewhere.

If you proceed with a logical view, the career of a pro footballer is very short, and although you can go to college following your career, you won't have the same financial assistance that you do playing college soccer, and the cost of education is growing exponentially. I see where the parents are coming from.

Also- all the kids had specialized by U12 and quit other sports.

5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 year old maybe, I don't think as much reality has sunk in at that point. But in my experience even the kids with a dream to go pro also have college ball in mind as a secondary goal in case that doesn't work out, or on the way to making it work out.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The male kids at my old club did not want to play college it was the parents dream. Frankly, it has been my experience they all did not have the brains for college.

But the girls that is a different story. Most on my daughters high school team were very smart, and could easily go to college and do very well there. In her senior class they all went to college and did well. My own daughter went to Columbia university and graduated with honors. My daughter was taking so many things she gave up the Westinghouse scholarship to get the other stuff in. At the time they had to carry all of her books everyday because they would not let them lock their lockers. She left the house 4:00 am to start school on time they had very early classes. She did not want me to drive her. So I waited until she left and followed her in my car because you never now.

Once we sent our under 18 team to Italy for a tournament. It was the Enzo Ferrari cup invitational in medina, Italy. Total cost per player was only 500 dollars and someone picked up that cost. So it cost the player nothing for a week in Italy. You know the parents complained about it.