Hanna Barbera Cup 2008 Vol II [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Chiquitibum, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oslomocx2

oslomocx2 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Que te importa?
    Shouldn't that be "RRREV you up?" :D

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Last time I checked fouling is a part of futbol. Buying refs isn't.

3. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    It's sad how even Archundia got bought at the Gold Cup Semi's between US and Canada. Felt sorry for the Canucks on that one. It was so obvious

However that's not the point, either way if the refing was biased or bought it doesnt matter. The principle of the matter no FMF teams should have never participated in this bologne of a tournament PERIOD. Im very glad the FMF teams got eliminated in which they clearly deserved for even participating. I just hope they got a dose and learned from it

4. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Honestly, FMF teams have no1 to blame but themselves, they agreed to participate and knew the hurdles they would face beforehand.

Now with that said, the officiating was horrible and I don't blame those who think of conspiracy theories but post-match displays were horrible. There's no need to lower ourselves to that point and give these naive MLS fans ammo to use against us, which they turn into political/nationalistic rhetoric.

It's obvious us fans didn't care much about the tournament from the beginning and most of us followed it because it was intriguing but I don't honestly think that the results in the semis were unfair, I mean, Houston and New England played to win and based on the chances they created they would've likely won. The truth is, the refs clearly influenced the games and it's disgraceful for some of the coaches and directivos to act as if they didn't know the rules or circumstances under which these games are played.

Lastly I can't stress how naive MLS/American fans are when it comes to international play, they swear their players carry a boyscout attitude and never do anything wrong. Once they start playing in Libertadores and Sudamericana they're going to be in for some real surprises but it doesn't really excuse the behavior of Marioni, Vilar, etc.

BTW I think the FMF is approaching these games in the wrong manner, not only are they whoring out our national team and clubs in the US, they're giving the US teams an advantage in adapting to our style of play when in reality it should be the other way around, teams should know and expect the conditions which they encounter (bad refs, bad fields, etc) and adapt accordingly, after all they are supposed to be proffesionals. They should know that American teams will play them very physical and should not be shocked by it or retaliate in a cheap manner, they should adapt and try to win the games solely because it's what they're paid to do.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Best thing to come out of refgate is that this might just kill off the Hanna Barbera Cup.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the main problem with the ref was that Atlante got to foul Joseph 10 times before the cards came out. Sid, if the ref was bought, he could have started sending players off BEFORE one of them punched Joseph. As the posters above noted, TV ratings will go down now that the Mexican teams are eliminated. If someone was bought, it would be to keep Mexican teams in, not get them out.
    I am an admirer of Mexican soccer- but I was at the game last night and the Revs were the better team, plain and simple. Mainly because Joseph dominated the middle of the field. Take him away and Atlante would probably be the better team.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If the ref wasn't bought he would of called the obvious handball and awarded a pk.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    the game was like 60-40 in favor of the Revs.

9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And they could only win 1-0 if Atlante gets the pk and scores different ballgame. Anyways, I hope the Dynamo win because it seems that the Revs have a ton of racist supporters.

10. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The first mistake is in taking part of this tournament all together. Like I said yesterday, the MFL comes out losing no matter how you look at it. If they win its because they're supposed to; if they lose then all of a sudden the "gap" between the MLS and MFL is closing quickly.

As for your question is beating the crap out of MLS teams too much to ask since, according to some on this board, the MFL is so much superior than the MLS- it is a mickey mouse league right?

Cuau himself has stated that the league is more competitive than he thought it would be- although he is tearing it up. (Maybe he said it for PR reasons) but Beckam would be owning everyone if this league was as bad as some people throw it out there to be.

I know what's coming next... SDS is hating on the MFL !!

I am not. I believe the MFL is on a higher level than the MLS. But I don't think its as superior as some people here make it out to be. A good test would be to pin the MLS champ against the Number 1 team in Mexico- IN MID SEASON.

But playing friendlies in pre-season and playing in tournaments in preseason are completely different. I don't think we should be participating in this goddamn tournament.. but if we do we should at least make sure we prove our dominance and stop playing the blame game.

IT's not just a game when your coming in first place

11. oslomocx2

oslomocx2 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Que te importa?
    Malinche...:rolleyes::D

JK, you are right. They should have known better. America made their decision and stayed away. As a fan, I would love the opportunity to see them play here and get to see them. Then again, the image of my team is more important. For the rest of the fluzzy teams that decided to play, they got their just desserts.

12. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Very good post.. rep

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I hate racists of any kind. Massachusetts was the first US state to ban slavery, led the movement against slavery and has always led the fight against racism. Today, we were the first state to recognize gay marriage and lead the fight for the rights of gay people. Every club has knockleheads, and we surely do. But Mass is the leader in equal rights in the US and will match our record in this regard to just about anywhere in the world.

14. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Try to keep your posts tournament related.....and, no, "F the ...." doesn't qualify.

15. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    You see that's my main problem with MLS

that's why I will never give the mls a chance to many racist ppl

and we hear this sh1t evey time we play each other

fu'ck the mls and their fans

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I have lived in a lot of countries. MLS has LESS racist fans than just about any country. Racist taunts are not very well tolerated in the US. The Revs are over half black and hispanic, by the way.

17. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's more of a national thing... they mean Americans vs Mexicans (or just about any other country for that matter)

18. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I'm talking about mls fans, maybe not the players

I'm sure you also read those comments one of your fellow Revs said

when have you read a mexican fan say anything racist?

19. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I continue to think that the best thing that came out of Eriksson's superliga experience is that he got to see firsthand the quality of reffing in the region.

20. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may make some happy in this forum that SuperLiga games will probably be held in Mexico and U.S. next year. The radio show that reported that was out of London so the popularity is more than just in America.

22. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

23. Tello

Tello BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

24. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I saw neither the game nor the highlights, so have no idea what happened.

I've heard a theory regarding the nba that suggests one way to influence a game's result is to assign an incompetent ref who is easily intimidated/influenced by the home team, thus leading to a home bias. Given the level of referees in concacaf, I wouldn't be surprised if the ref favored NE, whether intentionally or unintentionally. simply because they were the home team (and possibly without any interference whatsoever from SUM).

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006