Hampton Roads Piranhas v. N. Virginia Majestics [R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by OnTheSidelines, Jul 31, 2002.

1. OnTheSidelines

OnTheSidelines New Member

Hampton Roads pulled out a 3-2 win against the Northern Virginia Majestics and will now play the Kansas City Mystics next.

N.Va. Adjoa Bayor (Basilea Amoah-Tetteh) 9th
    H.R. Kele Golebiowski (Ashley McGhee) 11th
    H.R. Jenna Szyluk 22nd
    H.R. Elizabeth McGrail (McGhee) 67th
    N.Va. Jennifer Farina (Elizabeth Baidu) 83rd

Potomac News:
    http://www.potomacnews.com/sports/MGBL8KXMA4D.html

USL:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/eng/stats/...y&type=Story&command=setSelectedId&id=1602958

Memphis also beat Chicago 4-2 to advance.

2. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Ashley's a Canadian girl!!! glad her team advanced!!!! :D

elaine

3. vabeacher

vabeacher Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the Link

Nice story in the Potomac News. Thanks for the link. Our local Norfolk/VA Beach paper had a story in their print edition, but nothing on their web-site, when I tried to post a link.

Sounds like it was a good game. Kele Golebiowski keeps on scoring goals. I'm surprised she hasn't been picked up by a WUSA team. I think the women's leagues are much closer in talent than the MLS and A-league. It would be great if there were a women's version of the US Open Cup. I'm sure the W-league teams would be very competitive.

4. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Thanks for the Link

Golebiowski would count against the foreign allotment for a WUSA team (Australia). She would have to beat out a current foreign player to get on a roster, or have a roster spot open up and be selected to fill it.

I beleive there is an US Open Cup for the women. Someone can correctly if I am wrong, but I think some of the WPSL teams have competed in it, but none of the W-League teams have in the past, and the WUSA has had no interest.

5. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    yeeeeeeep Golebiowski is an aussie therefore a foregin spot needs to be cleared before she can enter a WUSA team. but with teams making adjustments here and there in the off season, she may be in a WUSA team next season. but being an aussie and a fan of both australian & american soccer, it would be great if she can get a spot in a WAUS side, she deserves it and being a san jose fan :p we do need someone to partner katia up front after the retriement of muzza

and umm i dont mean to b picky but her name is spelt Kelly, not Kele...sorry

GO AUSSIE!!!