Hall Of Fame Renovations

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Northside Rovers, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2015/1...stadium-project-including-national-soccer-hal

http://www.fcdallashof.com/

- $39 million seems like a lot for reworking one end of the stadium. I am sure it will be nice.
    - What is the net loss of actual stadium seats?
    - I was hoping that this would provide for more covered seating in other sides of the stadium.
    - Not sure where the cheap seats are gonna be with the rich and mighty overlooking that side now.
    - Its kinda cool the HOF is here - I guess.

I guess we will see. The immense ticker price hikes are obviously not very popular. It seems like FCD wants to vault into the LA Galaxy stratosphere - just without the trophies and big name players.

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a cool addition. Think the fact that they're making the south end all rich and fancy is very strange considering the view is far from ideal, but whatever. The upgraded locker rooms will be good for everyone involved. The upgraded sound and video system is an absolute MUST. Excited to see the finished product, hopefully it get's finished on time unlike the actual stadium 10 years ago. ;)

3. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    The reality is this is a perfect example of the really world-class business acumen of the Hunt Sports Group.

They needed to update the stadium - the Cowboys are building a mini DeathStar just down the road ya know - but didn't want to front the cash alone or up front.

So, the HoF is the perfect thing to both bring in extra events, revenue, etc AND get the city and FISD to go 1/3's on the cost... AND the Hunts get to pay their 1/3 over the course of a new 20 year lease... While their 1/3 will end up being a lot more with interest, it's not out of their pockets today.

really... it's kinda genius when you dig into the details.

oh and for the love of God - that fartin', massive logo-tower is the most gaudy, MiniPearl thing ever.
    that has to go.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the FCD logo tower is one of the cooler parts. Overall it should be a positive.

5. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the extended roof is damn near pointless. It may keep the sun from damaging the artifacts in the Hall but not much else.

6. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a lot of trouble for not much return. No matter how much they try to whip me into a frenzy over this, I barely care.
    Agree. Good facilities seem to be key in attracting good players.
    I'd say they're more of a nice to have instead of a must. I'm SOOO excited that I'll be able to see Dr. Pepper can stacking in hi-def during halftime. I'm for the better sound system if they can get a better announcer to use it. I'd bet our player intros at the beginning of the game are the lamest in MLS.

burning247 repped this.
  7. Furacao del Norte

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that was the last piece of the puzzle, the reason STH are being raked over the coals, huh?

Nothing in that announcement made my season tickets any more valuable.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I appreciate what the Hunt family has done for soccer in the US and I've no objection to Frisco as the new home, but I'm disappointed the HOF appears to be buried within a structure that's touting just one team. I really wanted it to be something that is clearly national and neutral rather than essentially 1 floor of a team's premium seats tower.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My feelings on the location of the HoF are this:

It's been without a permanent home for five years now, and by the time all of this gets done, it will have been without a permanent home for seven years. As such, I'm personally unsympathetic to any and all complaints about its location.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In that case make a rolling exhibit in some truck or tour other venues. Or announce that this is temporary until they can afford better. If you're gonna do it, do it right, no? This isn't any old mall store but something that's supposed to be representative of all US soccer. Yet it's behind doors that say Team ____?!

If this is the best we can do then I've overestimated our beloved sport's progress, sadly.

11. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is one of the areas where I think the MLS coming late to the US sports landscape is an advantage. There is now history for places like Canton and Cooperstown, but no doubt those leagues would rather have their HoF's in more metropolitan areas and/or a team stadium where they could have guaranteed higher traffic (aka more $).

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually went to the old location in Oneonta back in 2008. It was just a few miles down the road from Cooperstown. Sadly, however, that didn't help it attract more visitors.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton is a relatively short drive from Cleveland. The Basketball HoF in Springfield, MA, isn't terribly far from either Boston or Hartford. The Hockey HoF is in Toronto. Meanwhile, Cooperstown (and Oneonta) are literally out in the middle of nowhere in the Catskills. Very pretty scenery, yes, and long a popular destination for New Yorkers who have wanted to get out of the city in the summertime, but not so good if you're a Hall of Fame for what is still a niche sport.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure there will be some type of signage indicating the fact that it's the National Soccer Hall of Fame and not just be buried behind a wall of FCD logos.

Can they seriously not paint our damn name in the seats still? This must be something FISD is holding them back on...

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're exactly right about that as I think we've heard statements to the effect that it's Collin County and Frisco. How about FCD on one side and the emblem on the other?

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wait, they don't like it because it's called "FC Dallas" and they're in Frisco? That's worse than Arlington/Ft. Worth people getting all butt hurt about those Rangers' shirts.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why its such a sore spot but major differences are in Frisco the city, school district and county all ponied up money and local schools play games there a lot. Again not sure why that would bother then as there is signage all over just not on the seats. Another compromise would be to put Frisco in big letters in the end zone (except there won't be one for awhile. It's right up there with why they don't do a roof. Only the end zone will have one? I guess that makes them unique in the whole world. The only stadium that will have a roof on one end zone and no where else.

17. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew... it's been awhile, folks...

I agree that while being unique in the world of soccer, a covered, luxury end-zone isn't exactly what I had in mind. (lol) Beautiful architecture, a structure worthy of being a national hall of fame yet only the small red-lettered blip that says simply "Hall of Fame" doesn't do it justice. Yeah, I've heard all of these before.

I simply see the images as the closest to real that it can get short of completion. I have to think that the word "proposed" on the images means that it won't necessarily be the complete end-product. There are plenty of places on that building to make the National Soccer Hall of Fame stand out and, if FCD is smart enough to see this light, relevant changes should be made. For all we know, the images could have been made to appeal to FCD fans and potential sponsors/business ventures. Who knows?

As far as being the only covered "end-zone and no where else" stadium in the world, there might be a reason for it. As much as Toyota Stadium needs a roof for shade and rain protection, the Hunts might be thinking of... *hold your breath* ...potential expansion in the future. Why put a roof on a part of the stadium that might not be "finished" as far as the Hunts are concerned? If they are ever to think about expanding the stadium for any reason, putting a roof on those areas would defeat the purpose. The covered end-zone might very well be the one part of the stadium where they said, "That side is done, so slap a roof on it." Because there are so many stadiums throughout the world with these uneven roof heights (St. James' Park is legendary for this) it would not shock me that this is what the Hunts mean to do. Is it a certainty? Hell no. These are the Hunts we're talking about, here.

At the end of the day, it IS unique. It IS ambitious for the city of Frisco and for the club. And yes, it IS fun to look at. I also thank the Hunts, the City of Frisco, and the school district for embracing this sport the way they have. I do not like how many people they've angered in the process (for obvious reasons... $$), yet I only say judge slowly with this scenario. If my opinions hold no water, fair enough. It just makes sense to me that what I have said might be a possibility. That said, at least the club is really fun to watch right now. That's gotta be exciting, right? ;D

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for showing back up and weighing in. I wonder if there is a way to pick a roof that could just be raised if they expand? I don't disagree in principal with waiting until they add on but I disagree with the timing because at present attendance it could be 20 years before that's necessary.

19. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you 100% on that. The Hunts seem like the "too little, too late" type of people. I prefer to see it as "better late than never" but what can I say? I guess I'm just the token optimist here. (lol)

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got this is a pretty smart deal for HSG based on what Hitman said. I'm still a little questioning of the financial model on this though. Figure tickets up in box part are comparable to say 103-108 sections. Since I'm one of those theres no way I would migrate to the elevated end line seating. I like watching the game from the middle sideline. Imagine most of the STHs feel somewhat the same. So the FO basically needs a new cohort of fans who like the a/c, new amenities and don't care about where they watch a game from. It will have to be heavily corporate new ticket holders to fill it out. Not sure how deep that pool is. Whats the capacity up there? 2k? Will be interesting to see how they fill it.

22. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    The new capacity will return the stadium to approximently 20K, so between inside club, and outside actual seats - 4K will be added back.

FCD has hired a new sales staff focused only on selling these seats and memberships - starting now and up until the joint opens. There's a lot of confidence they'll have no problem selling all of these, but they're also confident about selling out 16K this season on a regular basis.... so, we'll see.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here we go...

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...ter-bids-come-in-millions-over-budget.ece?f=r

24. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    There's something really odd about this because, it was 100% out of the blue and whatever announcement was made yesterday wasn't done via a press release to the media. Appears the DMN Frisco beat writer caught in in a council meeting. also, the letter sent to STH's today mentioned ZERO about the issues listed in the article.

It appears they're now reducing from a three story to a two story, but not sure how that impacts the sales already in place. I have pics of displays claiming they'd already sold out all of the center upper deck HoF seats. Not deposits, sold. If they move the HoF to the lower floor, do those now go away?

Also, how did they get approval if they didn't already have their bids from the contractors in hand? Did they expire and had to be redone? If so, what was the delay?