Halifax and a Tour of the South [R]

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Peakite, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    15th August
    Wantage Town 1-3 Brading Town
    FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

This was moved to an 18:20 Friday kickoff so ITV could show live coverage. Starting with FA Cup first timers Brading, they are going to be covering each match in turn, continuing with the winners until the final. Brading are one of three Isle of Wight teams to play in the Wessex Premier League.

A slowish drive to get there courtesy of the traffic in Reading, through to the former Berkshire town of Wantage. Alfredian Park (King Alfred was born here) appears to be reasonably new, with a long covered terrace and a seated stand down one side. The clubhouse was behind one of the goals, large bar with the FA Cup as a centrepiece.

The first half saw Wantage shading possession and chances, without really creating anything. Brading scored three times, the first on a counterattack, the second with a good strike from the edge of the box and the third after a blunder by the home keeper. A fourth effort was ruled out for offisde.

Wantage dominated the second half, testing the visiting keeper, but came away with only one goal to show for their efforts. They did, however, miss a late penalty which would have made for an interesting finish. Brading did have a couple more chances, but really had little to offer.

Can't help but feeling that Wantage will be very unhappy with their finishing, which cost them more than anything in the end. They had plenty of chances.

Brading now have a visit to Chesham in the next round, the cameras will follow. The Meadow is a ground I liked when I went last season for a Cup game (Aylesbury v Bromley).

2. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

First game of the season today, a 3-0 home defeat to Bamber Bridge. The first goal coming 16 seconds after the interval. Not a great result, but still we have a team.

Silsden will be the visitors to the Shay for the preliminary round of the FA Cup having won last night.

16th August
    Tring Athletic 5-3 Berkhamsted Town

A pleasant if unspectacular day out. The Grass Roots Stadium looks the part, an elevated stand has covered seating, a covered terrace behind one goal and a huge clubhouse (which came in handy at halftime). The local rugby club play next door, their one stand has a shredded tarpaulin for a roof.

A local derby here, both clubs play in the same division, but have never yet met in a league game.

The visitors took an early lead, but found themselves 2-1 down at half time. Tring then hit the post before the visitors equalised and then soon hit the post themselves. Tring were quickly 4-2 up, Berkhamsted pegged them back to 4-3 and hit the bar too, the fifth and final goal arrived a few minutes from time. Even then there were chances at both ends. A couple of good saves from the visiting keeper and several more good chances missed.

It wasn't a bad game, but wasn't that memorable. Berkhamsted will look to struggle again this season, following relegation last time out.

3. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC

Will be coming to watch. When I'm not injured I play for their B team.

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    That should make you reasonably happy (or disappointed) either way the game goes :D.

Went along to a couple more FA Cup ties this afternoon. Got a bit of time on my hands thanks to the holiday, and these four games, plus the previous two, have cost me less than one trip up to the Shay.

17th August
    Kingsbury London Tigers 1-0 Eton Manor

Kingsbury are a recent merger between a struggling senior side (Kingsbury) and a junior club (London Tigers). This marks their debut in the FA Cup, claiming to be the first West London debutants for 100 years. Fulham being the next most recent.

Silver Jubilee Park is a small, but plesant ground, within sight of Wembley, you get a very clear view when standing behind one of the goals. A small covered terrace at one end, and a decent main stand with large bar attached. Plenty of greenery around too, which made recovery of the balls awkward on occasion. They even managed to provide complimentary sandwiches and roast potatoes in the bar at the interval.

As for the game itself, the visitors had the better of the first half, but couldn't score. The home keeper was kept busy. The second half was a virtual reversal of fortune. The goal itself came shortly after the break, and whilst Eton manor had chances to equalise, they rarely looked threatening. Think both sides would need to improve their strikeforce to be competitive in their respective leagues this season.

17th August
    Kentish Town 1-1 Wellingborough Town

Following the final whistle I then made the short journey to Barnet to see another club, Kentish Town, make their FA Cup debut. They play in an athletics stadium which as always does have the problem of forcing you to watch away from the action. Rarely for me I elected to sit, standing areas were poorly situated and quite low down. Thankfully there were wooden benches, rather than the typical plastic seats. The elevation was helpful.

The game itself followed a similar pattern to the earlier fixture. The visitors having the better of the first half, though scoring this time. A decent finish. However, the lively Wellingborough strikers were caught offside far too often. After the interval Kentish Town dominated, but took until the final few minutes to get a deserved equaliser, a second half substitute who played well enough to winder why he wasn't in the first XI.

5. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    It will be an odd feeling, I always liked Halifax, used to go with mates from school when a friend of mine was in the youth team. Obviously I'd like our lads to do well, but it would be nice for Fax to get back on their feet with a cup run. Shame about the poor result the other day though.

6. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

Got the first three points on the board, a 2-1 at Trafford (last seasons NWCL champions).

19th August
    Newbury 1-1 Finchampstead
    Hellenic East

Newbury isn't too far down the road from me. This is a new Newbury side, two others playing at the same ground have recently folded in relatively quick succession. Hopefully this incarnation will be better managed. As a result though the ground is rather unusual for this division.

Many of the clubs don't offer anything covered for spectators, but Newbury have a very large all seater stand down one side. The ground also used to possess some covered terracing, but that has long since been sold off to another club.

A close game, Newbury taking a very early lead and holding on until the final few minutes. Finchampstead scoring eventually through a penalty. The visitors in particular look weak going forward, but reasonably competent at the back. Suspect they won't be involved in many high scoring fixtures this season.

The replay between Wellingborough and Kentish Town took place last night. Wellingborough winning 2-0. The most notable incident came after the final whistle when the Kentish Town coach was headbutted twice by one of his own players (an unused sub).

7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    20th August
    Eton Wick 0-6 Ascot United
    Hellenic East

Couldn't decide until quite late on whether to go and watch something tonight until quite late on. The grounds I'd not visited beforehand were all a bit further than I wanted to travel, so made the short trip down to Eton Wick. My first revist not involving Halifax or Reading Town since Swindon graced the Premiership.

Traffic on the M4 was fine except for a large hold up because someone managed to put his caravan into a field. Most of the hold up seems to be rubberneckers as all lanes on both carriageways were clear. Made it about five minutes before kickoff.

Programme for £1 was easily the best I've seen this year, getting all the essentials in. Plus a bit of humour. Profiles of both clubs and players, plus a match report of the Prestwood game.

I saw the reverse fixture last year, 5-0 to Ascot then. This was a better game. Eton Wick seem to have a younger and fitter side out now, but motivation seemed to drop quite noticeably after the visitors grabbed the first from the penalty spot about 20 minutes in. They doubled their advantage ten minutes later. The third was the pick of the goals, coming from a few meters from the corner flag and looping over the keeper. A fourth followed before the break.

A quiet second half, more chances going Ascot's way, though Eton Wick had a few half chances. Two late goals completed the scoring. The Ascot keeper dealt well with anything thrown at him, but it wasn't all that testing.

Confusing substitution in the first half, Ascot tried to replace a player, no problems with the linesman, but the ref didn't seem to accept it. Cue 'discussion' with the manager and an indication that he would have to wait, but allowed him on without further delay.

8. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Time for a bit of a catch-up, missing the bank holiday weekend plus a couple since.

23rd August
    Bisley 4-0 Prestwood
    Hellenic East

For the Saturday I made the short trip down to Bisley, which is much better known for another sport - shooting. Indeed you could hear the noise of what sounded mostly like clay pigeon shooting. I'd actually considered heading down here a few days beforehand, opting for Newbury instead. However, concerns about the traffic at that time put me off. They won 10-1 that day for a first win of the season.

Bisley actually won the Hellenic East a couple of years ago, but couldn't go up into the Premier division due to ground gradings. That certainly won't happen again, the ground is very much in the process of development and should be a very good set-up when finished.

Prestwood have improved from when I saw them last season, and gave a good account of themselves for a while. Scoreless at the interval, with the home side adopting a patient approach to the game. Prestwood really should have taken the lead just after the break, but the striker put a tame effort stright at the keeper when clean through. Bisley soon scored themselves and ran away with it after then, Prestwood seemed to give up and the final score could easily have been more.

25th August
    Knaphill 2-0 Hanworth Villa
    Combined Counties Division One

Due to the bank holiday, there was a pretty full programme on the Monday. Knaphill as a club have been pretty progressive over recent years. The ground has yet to catch up. Modern, but lack the facilities needed, though they are looking in to bringing it up to scratch.

The game itself was decided largely on the basis of Knaphill being far more a collective unit, rather then relying on individual talent as their visitors did. Encouragement was evident, rather than unecessary criticism. A goal in each half.

Hanworth had a player sent off, presumably for something he said to the referee, close to the final whistle. The attitude of him and his team mates summed up their performance. They weren't interested.

25th August
    Tadley Calleva 2-2 Farnborough North End
    Wessex One

Stopped off on my way home for this fixture. Tadley actually won the division last season, but couldn't move up due to their facilities. The ground is being developed. It is fenced off and has floodlights, but any sort of cover is yet to go up. A very exposed ground, thankfully on a good day weatherwise. Tadley won't be going up this year though, they've lost most of their squad from last season, and thus far hadn't managed a win.

Calleva, incidentally, comes from the name of the Roman settlement which existed on the site of Silchester. The club are based between the two places.

The game itself was quite decent, the visitors starting as if they wanted to get a few quick goals on the board. They did manage one, but the lead didn't last very long. A superb freekick only two minutes later for Tadley equalising. Relatively even for the rest of the half. Tadley broke free just after the interval to make it 2-1. The Farnborough equaliser came late on, with a long range strike. Several more chances throughout.

9. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    27th August
    Ton Pentre 3-1 Afan Lido
    Welsh Division One

As I've doubt doubt you all know, football matches and grounds do vary. You get some good ones, some bad ones and the occassional one which really reminds you of just how great the game can be.

Now I've made the dicision of really trying to stay local as much as possible this season, so the fact I even made it to a ground over 150 miles away won't happen too often this season. I'd decided to go climbing over in the Brecon Beacons. Came home a little earlier than once intended due to the poor weather. Lots of drizzle (constant for two days) and visibility generally very poor. I'd taken down details of this one, due to being pretty much the only fixture on in Wales that day. At the time I'd been planning on staying a bit longer so popped down for a few supplies on the way.

Ton Pentre have actually played in Europe, but resigned from the Welsh Premier due to finances and have frequently won the feeder division since. They do play to go up again someday, but need to sort a few things out. Afan Lido have also played at that level a little more recently.

Ton Pentre is a community within the Rhondda Valley, and the only one where the round ball game is the most important. Rugby Union has a very strong grip elsewhere. After crossing a narrow bridge into the carpark of Ynys Park (which despite the name is not actually an island, more of a headland), wandered up to find the ground itself. Now the old seated stand may have disappeared, the rest falling down, but this is a fantastic place. A small covered terrace by the halfway line, the dugouts on either side. A much larger covered (albeit with a few holes) terrace is behind one goal, with an exit over the river. The clubhouse is between the two, a large relatively modern building, when the players have to desecend down a flight of stairs outside to reach the pitch. The rest of the ground is undeveloped. The view all round is excellent, some stunning scenery all round, the best view probably looking past the undeveloped goal end.

Got there early and sat (my legs tired from Fan Gyhirych) down on the terrace to read the programme. Excellent and informative read. Brief chats with a few of the home following too.

The game itself was also very much worth waiting for too. Throughout both sides had their spells in control, but the other side always looked like producing something. As well as the goals there were several decent saves made and the woodwork rattled a couple of times. Ton lead 1-0 at half time, courtesy of a finish from a very tight angle, but were pegged back in the rain midway through the second half. They then took the lead with ten minutes to go and rather than time wasting had a go at making it safe. The third did arrive at the end of the 90 minutes, but Afan Lido still created chances themselves going into injury time. A great match between two good sides in great surroundings.

Good officiating and focused teams who kept the language clean and played football helped greatly.

Can i say again, I really enjoyed this one.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    30th August
    Aylesbury Vale 1-1 Burnham
    FA Cup Preliminary Round

After the previous Wednesday this had a lot to follow on from. It didn't. Vale are the second club from Aylesbury, but the only one currently playing in the town itself. A new stand is present, and thankfully it isn't one of these identikit ones that are commponplace these days.

The step 5 hosts scored early, a well taken free kick. A rather stop/start affair of a game where the step 4 visitors never got going. They did improve after the break, hit the woodwork twice too, but needed a 93rd minute scrambled goal to take the fixture to a replay. I may just go and see that one.

I had picked this as being more likely to see an upset, the other one which I'd most seriously considered was step 4 v step 6. That turned out to be an away win.

11. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I'd thought about heading to the replay down at Burnham tonight, but couldn't get away in time. Work to do (today was my first day back in nearly eight weeks). Aylesbury Vale won 2-1. Stayed local instead.

2nd September
    Reading Town 2-0 Flackwell Heath
    Hellenic Premier

A comfortable win in the end. The first goal came after only two minutes from a decent move. The Heathens then dominated for the next half hour, but the best they could manage was an effort which hit the bar fifteen minutes in. Reading came into the game more and scored a second midway through the second half. The visitors applied pressure late on, but never really looked like pulling anything back.

12. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    6th September
    Amesbury Town 6-3 Marlow United
    A.E.T.
    FA Vase 1st Preliminary Round

It's been a bit damp down these parts over the past couple of days, thankfully the area hasn't been too badly hit. The more northerly fixtures in this competition certainly took a battering. The poor weather probably made it easier to get to though, Amesbury is just down the road from Stonehenge, so it gets very busy on a nice day.

The ground is a small affair in a public park, though does boast a small stand and clubhouse. Amesbury do have a reputation as being an entertaining side, good at going forward, but rather suspect at the back. Since I'd last seen them play they had managed a 6-5 away win (they won the corresponding fixture 5-4 last season). Marlow United are a step above them, gaining their first win at that level with a win at Reading Town.

An entertaining game this one, the visitors looked the better side for the early stages, played in sunshine, taking the lead before being pegged back from the spot at half time. Amesbury took the lead midway through the second half, by now rather wet, and dominated from them on in, including hitting the bar. However, Marlow finally started to play with a couple of minutes to go, equalising going into injury time, and could have won it soon after.

Went to get my umbrella at the break and was just walking back when Amesbury took the lead (did manage to see it, albeit from a distance) as that side was relatively clear by now, most perhaps sensibly opting for the cover by the clubhouse and in the stand. 4-2 by half time in extra time. A Marlow sub soon limped off, leaving them with ten men (all subs used), but they did rally to pull one back. Two late goals made the scoreline more comfortable.

An good game, and Amesbury certainly worth looking out for, though if they ever sort out the defence they could do well this season, though they wouldn't be half as entertaining.

13. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    9th September
    Hendon 0-2 Dover Athletic
    Isthmian Premier

Spent my Tuesday at a cold Claremont Road. Hendon's ground is getting on a bit now, and looks like it won't be around for too much longer as the club are looking to move and groundshare with Wembley. It is suffering and really does need some repairwork. Lots of the terracing isn't safe to use, it looks to have fallen away, and apparently the cover used to take up far more of the ground. I do like it, but it must have been a great sight in its heyday.

Not a great game, the visitors were just that little bit better all round and Hendon struggled to actually create anything going forward. A goal either side of the break was more than enough.

10th September
    Hungerford Town 1-0 Reading Town
    Hellenic Premier

There was probably only the one game which would attract my attention this Wednesday, and I'm a little surprised it was played at this time. Hungerford usually play on Tuesdays, and it isn't unknown for clubs to move away from international fixtures and not to intentionally collide with them.

Anyway, a nice ground here, with plenty of random development. The most unusual of which was a small terraced area, where most people sat. No crash barriers, and only about half a dozen stone steps. However, each of these was the best part of half a metre high (with no other way up). Why, I have no idea, but for once I actually chose to sit down, and quite possibly one of the best places to sit.

The game itself was pretty even, though Hungerford always looked the better side, and good value for the win. The solitary goal coming just after the Reading defence went for a wander just after the break.

14. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    13th September
    Oxhey Jets 1-5 Dulwich Hamlet
    FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Another FA Cup weekend here. A rather modern ground which proved a little awkward to find. Hiding road signs behind trees doesn't help matters. Still, arrived at the modern ground with plenty of time to spare.

Not really much of a contest here, the visitors were clearly better throughout and rarely troubled. The consolation came at 3-0 down and didn't start a fightback. Suspect Hamlet could have had managed a couple more had they tried a bit more (they hit the crossbar and had another cleared off the line). A bit too stop/start, and the Jets captain did get booked for saying what he thought of the ref.

Halifax Update

We're safely through this round too, 4-0 away from home. Doing badly in the league though, not too far off the bottom.

15. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    16th September
    Reading 6-0 Sheffield Wednesday
    Championship

This is the first time that I've actually been to a football match and not arrived by car. No sudden desire to use public transport; this is my local football club. Standing pretty much across the road, it is much quicker to walk than drive (besides, I'd have to park further away).

The Madejski is probably the pick of the large newer stadia I've been to visit. Doesn't look quite as much concrete, with a nod towards standing out a little. Did think the seats were a little bit close to the row in front.

As one sided as the scoreline suggests. Reading ahead within four minutes, two up only a few minutes later, and dominated throughout. Hahnemann made one good save, but had little else to do. Wednesday reduced to a few tame shots from distance. Two quick second half goals to make it 5-0 when Doyle (with a hattrick) and Stephen Hunt were substitued. It was very quickly six, but the last 25 minutes were quieter all round, though Reading did hit the bar.

Joint biggest win at the Madejski and it took longer from seat to exit than the remainder of the walk home.

16. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    20th September
    Hallen 1-3 Reading Town
    FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round

A little bit further than I'd perhaps normally be considering at the moment, but then it did feature Reading Town in a Vase game. Hallen is a small village just over the M5 from Bristol. Despite a little heavy traffic close to the ground, a relatively painless trip over.

The ground is modern, but looks a little different from most. A main stand on the halfway line was pretty basic, but not as basic as the two bus shelters serving as cover at the clubhouse end. The clubhouse does look fairly well developed. The place comes complete with a skyline showing the motorway.

A good pitch and some good weather for once. Hallen started off the brighter and really wasn't too surprising they scored early on, a shot off the crossbar. Reading had few chances before half time, whereas the hosts continued to create chances. They should have really increased their lead with the possession they had.

After the break Reading were livelier, but didn't offer that much up front. However, that was to change midway through the half when a cross was diverted into his own net by the Hallen right back. Unlike the Royals, this one actually did go in. Didn't take too long for it to become 3-1 as Hallen seemed to capitulate, a fourth seemed more likely than an equaliser.

17. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

We won 7-1 at the weekend, which I do believe is a joint record now with the old club for a league win. Still early days, but not a bad result. The squad keeps developing nicely.

23rd September
    Reading Town 0-1 Ardley United
    Hellenic Premier

A little different to last week. Another trip over to Scours Lane. Sadly not a great game, settled just before half time. Reading hit the bar a few minutes before that. A solid but unspectacular side; the right player with a bit more creativity could see them moving up the league quite quickly.

18. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    A few more games over the past few weeks.

27th September
    New Milton Town 0-4 VTFC
    Wessex Premier

A good day out to the south of the New Forest. A friendly club and the sun was out. The game itself saw VTFC run out comfortable winners as New Milton rarely threatened up front. VTFC are one of the sides who should be challenging for the title and New Milton look pretty safe in midtable. It's only eearly days but several sides in the division look really poor.

The ground itself is pretty modern, but aside from lacking covered standing nothing to really complain about.

4th October
    Arundel 1-0 Chertsey Town
    FA Vase 1st Round

After the sun of the previous weekend I took a bit of a soaking this time out. Not a good day to forget an umbrella (left it at work the previous day). Did retreat to the stands for a while during the worst of it, but opted to remain near the halfway line as much as possible.

Fantastic setting for a ground though. It's overlooked by the castle of which you can see the battlements over the trees which surround the pitch.

Not the greatest of games, the first half was the better, albeit scoreless. Both sides created chances but the pitch was awkward and not condusive to the normal play of the two sides. Arundel won it just after the break and looked comfortable enough at the finish.

7th October
    Binfield 3-2 Fareham Town
    FA Vase 1st Round Replay

A very entertaining game here, one of the best I've seen all season which both sides contributed to. Fareham started the brighter against their lower league hosts, but faded as the first half went on. Binfield got a deserved lead and had chances to double their advantage. Fareham got an equaliser on the stroke of halftime and took the lead a few minutes after the restart. For a while it looked as though they could win comfortably, but Binfield then faught back for an exciting climax. The equaliser appeared with a few minutes left and then grabbed a winner into injury time.

Slightly disappointing as I could quite happily stayed for an extra half hour given the entertainment on offer. Ebbing and flowing throughout. Sparked big celebrations amongst the home contingent.

Basic ground, but now floodlit (hence the entry into the Vase). A perfectly serviceable clubhouse and out in the middle of nowhere so I suspect they won't have any problems of sticking up a basic stand or two if they wish to progress.

11th October
    Prestwood 0-1 Binfield
    Hellenic East

I opted for this one in the end after seeing the weather. Prestwood probably isn't the best place to visit on a bad day as it's rather exposed. My alternative choice was almost certainly more entertaining than this (a 5-3 away win).

A very scrappy affair, eventually settled by a goal a few minutes from time. A virtually unchanged Binfield side who had played so well on Tuesday really couldn't string much together. Prestwood had been 5-3 up at home in their previous game with 15 minutes left but had ended up losing 7-5.

Both sides did hit the inside of the post in the first half, but the following up was poor. I think the central Prestwood striker was wheeling away to celebrate at the time. Sloppy passing and few real chances sum this up.

Actually I guess the fact that the five a side scout tournament on the adjacent all weather pitch drew higher crowds sums this one up.

19. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    16th October
    Andover New Street 2-6 Whitchurch United
    Wessex One

Another trip down to Foxcotte for me, due to heavy traffic trying to get onto the M4 I actually managed to miss the opening goal (to Whitchurch). Whitchurch managed to double their lead before the break (and I'm not sure how I missed this, possibly when walking round the pitch, no cheers despite it being two local sides). Andover had two disallowed themselves.

Second half was superb entertainment though. Andover continued to threaten, eventually scoring from the spot. Within ten minutes they were 5-1 down with increasingly spectacular strikes. Pulled back to 5-2, but they couldn't mount a comeback. Whitchurch scored another late on and really should have made it seven at the close.

18th October
    Kodak (Harrow) 2-5 Marsh Rangers
    Middlesex Premier

An early morning kickoff here in Harrow. Kodak's ground has the smallest stand I've ever seen. Situated between the dugouts it has seating for a total of six (and it's a tight six). A large clubhouse (it's part of a larger complex) and a car park featuring a car with it's exhaust sticking out through the boot.

Not a bad game, 1-1 at half time before Rangers ran away with it after the break. The fifth in particular a very good long range strike. Kodak got a late consolation to round off the scoring, but they were distinctly second best even if the scoreline was a little flattering to the visitors.

18th October
    Codicote 4-1 Knebworth
    Hertfordshire Premier

Codicote actually play these days at Hertford Town's ground, a good few miles from the village they are based in. This ground has definitely seen better days, espcecially the pitch which is in a very poor condition. The main stand still looks impressive, but very empty today. The only other stand (the rest of the ground was closed off) was a covered terrace behind one goal which was empty throughout.

Codicote look to be one of the two sides in contention for the title at this early stage of the season, and beat the second bottom side 12-0 the week beforehand (who followed it up with a 10-0 defeat this week). Knebworth are bottom.

A thrilling opening ten minutes saw the hosts open up a 3-1 lead, plus other efforts cleared off the line. Quietened down a bit thereafter, the fourth arriving midway through the second half. However, although outclassed Knebworth did play their part and had it not been for a good performance from the Codicote keeper could easily have made three or four themselves. Some wasteful finishing kept the score down at the other end.

20. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update
    The league performance is continually improving. Away to Bamber Bridge this evening (having lost 3-0 at the Shay on the opening day of the season). A bit of a reversal, 5-2 to Halifax against a side who should make a good shot at a playoff spot this season.

21st October
    Shrewton United 1-1 Roman Glass St George
    Western 1st Division

I'm away this weekend, so no football on the Saturday. I'm looking at trying to find something on the Sunday, but options look limited. So travelled a bit further this evening. Shrewton is just the other side of Stonehenge to me, and I had to drive within a few meters of it tonight, so probably best to get this ground in when it's cold and dark. Can't be much fun on a good day.

The ground is a shared facility with the local cricket side, and has a skate/BMX area in one corner. A few local lads were enjoying that one, taking advantage of the nearby floodlights. A few balls ended up in the surrounding small river. No seats here, but at the end with the clubhouse the ground rises steeply upwards (including the goal itself), where there is some covered terracing on top. No need today, though cold it was dry.

The first eighty minutes saw no score, though both sides created chances. A couple of decent saves, plus a few near (and not so near) misses from both sides. Shrewton had marginally the better of the play. The visitors (from the Bristol area) did pick up several bookings, mainly for poor behaviour.

The home side took a deserved lead with about ten minutes to play, and within a minute found themselves against nine men. A Roman Glass stiker sent off for a second booking, this time a tackle, but his language beforehand saw him lucky to still be on the pitch. As the freekick was taken, the visiting captain received his marching orders for calling the referee something unpleasant. Shrewton never looked like getting a second, and somehow the nine men managed to catch them on the break in injury time.

21. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    28th October
    Selsey 1-3 Arundel
    Sussex 1st Division

The Sussex County League is rather unusual in that they don't have a Premier Division, so this is actually step 5 football. These are two of the contenders for the title in a very competitive league.

Surprising it was so one sided then. Selsey's goal was a late consolation from the penalty spot. Arundel looked a little poor after this point but were perfectly safe and thoroughly deserved the three points. They also hit the woodwork twice.

With most of the country seeing snow, right down on the south coast it was clear and dry. However, the trip back was more interesting, the last 30 miles were head on into the snow.

22. Tvos

Tvos New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Caboolture,Qld,Aust
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good to see you have a team to support again. As is my want, I'll now keep an eye on the Shaymen's results, as I do with other teams who have come back from the brink, AFC Telford, the REAL Wimbledon, Aldershot, and Doncaster. Hope all goes well for you.
    You mentioned Scarborough earlier in the post, where are they now, and are the cheaters (Boston) still around?

23. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Scarborough were reformed by their fans as Scarborough Athletic, playing at step 6. After a solid start last season they are clear at the top of their division this season and going well in the Vase. Forced to play outside Scarborough at the moment, their old ground is still standing but now in a very poor state. The fate of that is still uncertain. They would like to move back.

Also another team, Scarborough Town, now play at (I think) step 7 - but not much info other than forming from a youth side.

Boston United were thrown out of the Conference at the end of last season (same time as Halifax), and are currently in the Unibond Premier. Those behind the cheating are long gone now.