Halifax and a Tour of the South [R]

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Peakite, Aug 21, 2007.

1. masshlx

masshlx Member

N.E. Revs, F.C. Halifax, CC Mariners
    Mar 17, 2005
    Halifax, Ma.
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping that Halifax can get their issues in order in the next 2 weeks, or they'll be headed down anyways.

2. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    It's looking like the offer is there, whether it can be accepted is certainly not cut and dried. After the past season I'm hopeful something can be done and we can move forward again.

The incredibly frustrating thing on the pitch has been knowing we aren't actually that far away from having a decent side too. Manybe not a title challenge, but certainly batling for the playoffs again.

3. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    3rd May
    Highmoor Ibis 0-5 Westwood United
    Reading Senior Division

This is very local to be, the pitch just opposite the Reading Town ground on Scours Lane. Basic facilities, but a good pitch, for this game to decide the league title. Newbury were a point above Westwood, having completed all their fixtures. With both sides in contention having the same goal difference, a 1-1 draw would have also meant both title contenters finishing with the same number of goals scored too.

Highmoor Ibis are midtable, with one additional fixture to play, but they really couldn't offer much of a challenge here, creating only a small number of half chances. Westwood were only 1-0 up at the break, but ran away with it late on, and really should have made the victory more convincing.

Their first Reading League title, after having narrowly missed out a few years ago. Newbury do have something to smile about though, they are promoted into the Hellenic League - Westwood do not have the required facilities.

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/halifax_town/7392851.stm

Seems pretty much it, not really holding up much hope for the short term future. We will get thrown out of the Conference, best case scenario would see us in the Unibond Premier with new ownership who actually want to take the club forward on a sound financial footing.

We could have some familiar opponents, with Bradford, Leigh RMI and Hednesford Town, together with FCUM and Witton Albion (the one place I've actually been to watch Halifax in this division).

5. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

That's it then. The club I support no longer exists. It's going to be a long road back.

6. masshlx

masshlx Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Halifax, Ma.
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Progress is on hold for another couple of days to find out exactly what the situation is with Bosomworth and Ham. Have to say if they have been putting money into the club over the past season, then if they are willing to be involved with the new club, that should be a good thing. As the club have little in the way of assets, in particular not owning the Shay, they would have had little reason to help run the club into the ground.

Did get away somewhere yesterday though. Keep watching something.

10th May
    Staines Lammas 8-0 Crescent Rovers
    Combined Counties Division One

Unlike my previous visit to watch Lammas play, this actally was at their home ground. A shared pavillion with the adjacent cricket pitch, the ground was basic, but in generally good condition (one vandalised dugout the exception). No stands, but a nice day - the club having a barbecue as well.

A large crowd for this one, the home side needed only a point to guarantee the title. Their rivals, Hanworth, had already finished, Lammas having one more game against the now suspended Neasden Foundation. Were their record to be deducted, the title would be given anyway, but a point here would make any changes pretty academic.

A few nervy moments early on aside, this was a very comfortable win. With a couple of players going for goal when there was really a better option available for a pass and a visiting keeper who made some good saves, the score was kept down. 5-0 at the break, shortly afterwards both sides hit the woodwork.

8. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I have to say I'm gutted but it appears that HTFC have run up against exactly the same wall that Leeds United did. The Revenue is now voting against CVA's as policy, meaning that if they are the creditor for more than 25% of a clubs debt, they can vote any CVA down no matter what the value. Halifax offered 2.5p in the £1. Instead of negotiating and resolving the issue with the Leeds case, the FL have swept it under the carpet. I was wondering which club would feel the negative effects of their lack of initiative and I'm really saddened that its the first club I ever saw play.

I hope to see 'Fax back in the Conference and Football League in the future. The fans don't deserve the awful mess the club has got itself into, but with the base and the support of a few thousand they should find themselves jumping up the divisions.

I have to say I shed a tear. I know a few players and they are all gutted. They have mortgages etc and have likely as not lost their livelihoods and they are all distraught.

It was/is a wonderful little club, with a lovely stadium, passionate and friendly fans and a lot of tradition in the lower leagues. The Coference will be a lesser place without them. I was in the middle of town on Saturday, and there was a group of fans in a spontaneous protest singing "Oh Hali Hali! Hali, Hali, Hali, Hali Halifax" and it was so sad I wanted to join in.

I hope the people who got them into this mess, messed the administrators around and those in the local community who could have helped but didn't and the Football 'family' and its leaders who could have sorted this problem when it happened to Leeds but didn't, are proud of themselves.

RIP Fax.

9. bdndyc

bdndyc New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Gutted for the fans.

I've spoken to a few fans who seem to be quite positive, IF they can get a place sorted in the Unibond league.

They doubt home attendances would fall that much and teams like Bradford PA and FC United would bring more away fans that most BSP teams anyway.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I wouldn't be too surprised if home attendances didn't change that much, we seem to have a smallish, but relatively loyal following. The Unibond Premier is not going to happen, the FA have released line-ups for steps one to four and we are not in it. The Unibond North/South both have only 20 clubs due to the Northern League only supplying one club for promotion, so I suppose it's possible to force us into there, but it doesn't seem likely.

Surprised to see this list so quickly from the FA though, we can't be the only club with an uncertain future.

There will be a club next season, but suyspect we'll be playing Scarborough again.

11. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

Not really much to say, doesn't appear to be getting anywhere - at least publically. Have some hope still of making an appearance at step 4, but this must surely be unlikely at present. Is this consortium going to be involved or not? No clue here.

End of Season

Wasn't able to get anywhere last weekend (work commitments) and last Saturday didn't feel there was any trip worth making that I could afford. Otherwise would have taken the long trip up to Rhyl for the England v Wales game (which decided this years Four nations tournament).

A summary then to follow (all games I think reported here at some point).

12. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    2007/08

Games

Games: 75
    Goals: 278 (3.71 per game)

Most Seen Teams:
    13 - Halifax Town
    3 - Bicester Town, Carterton
    2 - AFC Hayes, Ardley United, Crowborough Athletic, Eton Wick, Fairford Town, Farsley Celtic, Flackwell Heath, Fleet Spurs, Henley Town, Highworth Town, Hungerford Town, Lymington Town, Reading Town, Staines Lammas, Sutton Common Rovers, Whitchurch United

Records

Biggest Away Win: Merrow 0-12 Hanworth Villa (16/02/08)
    Biggest Home Win: Arsenal LFC 11-1 Newquay AFC Ladies (06/01/08)
    Biggest Comeback: From 3-0 down to win - Marlow 5-3 Windsor & Eton (27/11/07)

Most Expensive Ticket: £18 Oxford United 1-1 Halifax Town (01/09/07)
    Cheapest: £0 - Merrow 0-12 Hanworth Villa (16/02/08)
    £0 - Highmoor Ibis 0-5 Westwood United (03/05/08)
    Longest Trip: 452 miles - Halifax Town 1-1 Rushden & Diamonds (22/09/08)

Grounds

Grounds: 74
    New Grounds: 66

Aside from the Shay, favourites were:

Causeway Lane - Matlock Town (29/12/07)
    Hardenhuish Park - Chippenham Town (15/01/08)
    Eynsham Park - North Leigh (10/11/07)
    The Conigre - Melksham Town (08/12/07)
    The Causeway - Cinderford Town (24/11/07)
    Culham Road - Abingdon Town (18/08/07)

I like the older grounds, with a bit more individuality. All bar Eynsham Park fit the bill on that one, but then the setting helps there.

On the other hand, ones I don't think too much of:

Atomic Weapons Establishment - AFC Aldermaston (09/01/08)
    The Spectrum - Guildford City (16/01/08)
    Hillingdon Athletics Stadium - Marsh Rangers (23/02/08)
    Kassam Stadium - Oxford United (01/09/07)

That does include both grounds I visited with an althletics track around them. Binoculars anyone?

Highlights

Halifax coming from 2-0 to win at Stevenage.
    Halifax giving Histon the runaround.
    November - Eight entertaining games, lots of goals and some great settings.
    AFC Hayes not knowing they were beaten at Andover.
    Chippenham and Bromsgrove serving up a cracker on a miserable evening.

Best Forgotten

Harrow Hill and Bicester serving up a really dull 0-0 draw.
    Three poor 1-0 games on consecutive nights in late January.
    Arriving at Lydney and Shrivenham and having to turn straight round.
    The smell at Leamington.
    The second half at Ascot (possibly the worst football I've seen).

Can Anyone Explain?

The seats at Pewsey Vale and Fleet Spurs?
    How do you pronouce North Leigh?
    How do you spell Bletching(t/d)on?
    Why did Jake Wright get sent off?
    Why the Flying Monk jumped?

13. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

Not really that well informed at present. The Unibond Division One North (Step 4) is still a possibility, but we actually have to have a new club formed, something the consortium seem rather reluctant to do. The club needs liquidating very quickly, for a reformed club to get into the pyramid and start again.

A new name is needed too. Halifax Town AFC will not be possible. Hoping for something short (Halifax FC would be ideal).

There will be a professional club in the Unibond league though, Leigh Genesis. That's a rebranded Leigh RMI and I'm not convinced that one will prove a success.

14. masshlx

masshlx Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Halifax, Ma.
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wish the Consortium would come forward with a plan soon, so that the fans know that they at least had a team to follow next season.

15. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Living in Shabbyfax I get the local paper, and they seem to think that the Unibond deal is nailed on, they are just waiting to liquidate the old company. I can't see a big problem with doing that, seeing as noone is willing to step in and save it.

(they could still use Halifax Town though, more likely it will be a very small change in the name like FC instead of AFC.)

16. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    We're in the Unibond, have a manager (Jim Vince) with a proven record at this level and have a new name, FC Halifax Town, which bears a more than passing resemblence to the previous club. Players are being approocahed and the fixtures are due out on Monday. And the Consortium even appear to have spoken.

Good to have positive developments :)

17. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Feel for you mate, as we know what its like:confused: but you can and will recover just like we have:)

Best wishes.

18. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I hope so. Just got the first fixture now - Bamber Bridge at the Shay on August 16th. Looking forward to it, though I suspect I'll have to have headed south by this point in time.

Good luck in the Conference next season, wouldn't mind seeing Barrow doing well.

And thinking of your troubles, is anyone saddled with Vaughan these days?

19. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That Bar-Steward V@UGHAN a right parasite:eek:
    this thing is.....
    He went on to "invest" into Chester City then Widnes Rugby League both surprisingly had serious money problems shortly thereafter:mad:

Anyhow hope both our seasons go as we blindly wish for.

20. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    First game is now tomorrow - a trip down to Tamworth (or up for me).

I hope to be able to make it. Short of a later draw turning in the Cup or Trophy it will be the nearest game all season to Reading.

21. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    19th July
    Tamworth 2-0 FC Halifax Town
    Friendly

First game for the new look Shaymen, a defeat, but several positives to draw upon. The side have had a total of five training sessions thus far, and playing against a side two divisions higher, with a more established side and a couple of preseason games already; this wasn't a bad performance.

Two of last seasons players turned out. Craig Mawson in goal (our best player on the day) and Rob Scott at right back (a decent first half), plus the returning Neil Ross up front. We started brightly, but couldn't really create too much, before Tamworth scored. Cue the mass changes for the second half, where we got better as it went on, the best effort being tipped over by a flying Tamworth keeper.

Tamworth added a late second, our sub keeper really couldn't do much about it.

Overall not too bad, with a few more games under their belt this looks like a side who has the potential to do well at step 4, though a few had quiet games today. Still, we have a side now.

Premiership referee Howard Webb officated this game, he had a quiet word with a few players, but didn't really have much to do. Decent welcome from some of the Tamworth crowd, though I did overhear one young lad asking if Halifax was in Nottingham. Thankfully his mate was able to correct him.

Crowd of just over 600, with a hundred or so from Halifax.

22. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Pegasus Juniors 0 - 1 Leeds United XI.

Last weekend, time on my hands, I decided to make the trip down to Hereford to see a mixed team of reserves/youth play Hellenic Premier League side Pegasus Juniors, about whom I knew nothing.

The trip was fairly uneventful if a long way to travel to watch what was a poor game, Pegasus way below the level to give Leeds any kind of fright, creating very little in the way of chances. Leeds fielded surplus-to-requirements Tresor Kandol, Ian Westlake and sub Seb Carole, but the game was never really in doubt.

It took the youthful Leeds team about 70 minutes to finally put the ball in the net after multiple chances with academy prospect Ollie Hotchkiss firing home.

The ground was compact and quite pleasant, being quite newly redeveloped with a small covered stand-type shelter down one touchline, where the crowd of about 300 stood congregated. The club was quite easy to find being just off a main road, and the fans were quite friendly. Well worth a visit if you can venture that far Peakite.

Leeds team:

Edwards, Darville (Jones 70), Wilkinson (Milne 60), Webb, White, Hotchkiss, Cartman, Hatfield (Carole 60), Ovington, Kandol, Westlake (Falkingham 65).

MAN OF THE MATCH
    Aiden White- Leeds Utd.

23. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I may well visit there at some point in the not to distant future. It's one of the Hellenic Premier clubs I've not yet visited, and the attraction of a Cup game against Glossop is attractive at the moment. Suspect I'll wait until later in the season though. It is a bit of a trek, so might wait until later though.

It just round the corner from Edgar Street is it not? A ground I have visited during Hereford's, unfortunate, promotion season.

Good to hear you liked the place, but pre-season friendlies can be very much a hit/miss affair. I usually tend to avoid them (only ever been to two).

24. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    12th August
    Farnborough North End 4-0 Amesbury Town
    Wessex One

Unfortunately the weather has rather managed to get in the way of my plans for the week, which will lead to missing the first Halifax game of the season. It's too far for me to travel, having headed back down south. Not one to miss the chance of a game though, I've taken a trip down to another of the Farnborough clubs.

FNE naturally enough are based to the South West of the town, they play at a sports & social club. They do lack a bit of cover and some seats, but otherwise a well equipped complex set in the same woods as Fleet Spurs. A friendly club all round.

Set off from Reading with very mixed weather, the short drive included heavy rain and lightning. The pitch was playable, if a little damp and generally dry throughout the game.

First half was pretty even, finishing 0-0 with both sides creating a few half chances and always willing to go forward. Two quick goals at the start of the second half meant an away point was unlikely, and Amesbury didn't ever look as threatening. Still had their moments and it wasn't certain until the thirs went in ten minutes from time, a last minute penalty completed the scoring. 4-0 was flattering, but a deserved win nevertheless.

Had thought about heading west, but thankfully didn't. The M4 seemed to be blocked.

25. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    13th August
    Holyport 2-2 Chinnor
    Hellenic East

A trip over to Maidenhead for this one. Again getting lucky after a possible choice turned out to be best avoided (Tadley being called off due to the weather). Fine here in an even game, which was slightly spoilt by a few small incidents. Chinnor went in 1-0 up at the break (deservedly), being the more physical team. The home side equalised shortly after the break and scored a good second later on. The visitors grabbed a deserved equaliser in the final few minutes.

The ground is down the longest access road I've come across, and even then its quite a walk to the pitch. interesting on the way back due to a lack of lighting down here, though the ground itself is floodlit, one of the six lights is noticeably further back than the others.