Halifax and a Tour of the South [R]

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by Peakite, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Sorry, I've always gone from the PL down. Its great to see someone actually taking the time out to watch football at this level, and putting a little bit of money into the clubs.:) I mostly enjoyed the reserve games last season who play in a division that covers Bradford up the Aire Valley and well into the Dales, we also played a pre-season friendly against Dent FC, from the Westmorland League, and I'd look out for that if you get the chance to come up here. It covers the region from the North of the Yorkshire Dales up to Cumbria and the Lake District. [​IMG]

That image is taken pretty much from the opposite side of the road from the pitch.

2. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Just back from my Christmas holidays. Headed up north and needless to say spent a bit of time watching the football.

22nd December
    Coleshill Town 1-2 Blackstones
    FA Vase 3rd Round

Heading up on the Saturday, the trip for Halifax to Histon was a bit too much of a diversion, espeically with it being a Setanta Cup game (I do expect to visit for the Conference fixture). We did win 2-1, so a good result down there.

This was very conveniently only a couple of miles off one of the motorways I could feasibly take, also a cup tie making this an ideal fixture. Due to the vagaries of the English weather, also meant I spent a third weekend on the trot watching the same round of the same competition.

Pack Meadow is a decent ground for step 6, only one covered secion, which thankfully offered shelter from the rain. Having a car laden with Christmas presents also had the nice security of bringing the car into the ground with me.

A couple of nice bonuses here too. Blackstones are a former works side of the company my dad used to work for. The football club being longer lasting than the company. Also I won the half time raffle; beer and chocolate.

Both sides are going well in their respective divisions this season, but the hosts are a step below in the pyramid. Blackstones started very brightly, deservedly took the lead (a penalty), before Coleshill fought back and got a cracking equaliser just before the break.

More even and keenly contested after the break, but when the home side had a player sent off, Blackstones were able to exert their superiority again. A late controversal penalty settled it, but probably wasn't too bad for the home side. It did look as though extra time could be a little embarrassing for them.

26th December
    Farsley Celtic 3-0 Halifax
    Conference

Time for the Boxing Day/New Years Day local derby games. Farsley is on the outskirts of Leeds and only 14 miles from Halifax. It's their first season at this level, having been promoted three times in the past four seasons. The fourth season in that run they could have actually won automatic promotion, but for a bizarre scenario involving the action taken when Spennymoor failed to complete the season. Their results were included, and Farsely didn't get the 3-0 default wins awarded to their rivals.

The ground does bear testament to their rapid rise. It appears to have had quite a bit of work of late, but is much smaller than most at this level. Most games are clearly not segregated, which led to a burger van outside the ground for us, together with the opening of the neighbouring sports hall as a makeshift away bar.

Nearly 1,000 of us crammed into the away end, comfortably outnumbering the home support.

The less said about the game itself the better. From start to finish our performance wasn't good enough. Farsley weren't great, but created chances, tested our defence and were rewarded with three goals. It wasn't until very late on before we tested their keeper. Missing a penalty late on didn't help, but quite frankly no points were deserved.

Their Steve Torpey had a better game than our Steve Torpey.

Looking like Farsley could be involved in a battle with Altrincham for the fourth relegation spot. Would like to see them stay up.

29th December
    Matlock Town 2-2 Leek Town
    Unibond Premier

With me being rather inconveniently at the wrong end of the country for the trip to Salisbury, decided to watch a local game up in Derbyshire. Slightly surprisingly I've never actually seen a game in the county beforehand. Originally had intended to go and watch Sheffield v Colwyn Bay, but that game was called off through a waterlogged pitch (Sheffield actually play in Dronfield these days).

Causeway Lane (actually known as the Geoquip Stadium these days, but I've got feel obligation to use the sponsored name) is quite possibly the pick of the grounds I've been to this year. The ground itself is older, with plenty of cover, and looks like it has been built up in many sections over time. The Causeway Lane side is rather bizzarely built going away from the pitch with plenty of standing area in front. The surrounding also add to the attaction, good views of Matlock up the sides of the valley to one side, hills towards the other, with a fantastic ruined manor/castle sitting on the horizon.

Matlock led 2-0 at the interval, perhaps not too surprising given the league positions of the sides, though it was unfortunate for Leek, who after a slow start probably created more and had a chance cleared off the line.

The second half was very wet, heavy rain and sleet. Was standing in an uncovered area, but rather than retreat further from the pitch to take advantage of the cover elected to struggle on with my umbrella (which broke).

Leek soon won a penalty (converted), had another chance off the line and scored from a deflected free kick. Matlock having a player red carded for a second bookable offence there. However, they never really managed to take it on further, they had chances, but by the finish Matlock looked the most likely to take the win. Probably a little unlucky for Leek, especially as Matlock should have had a second player sent off, but the officials misssed a punch thrown by their #2. Unsurprisingly the Matlock fans around me were very quiet on that one.

1st January
    Halifax 2-0 Farsley Celtic
    Conference National

The return fixture, a detour on my way home for this, and a much better performance this time, especially as we played most of the game with only 10 men. Our midfielder on loan from Doncaster was sent off for a vicious challenge in the 29th minute. He's a decent player, but with a serious problem with his challenges. Will go in hard, but gets careless. This is his third red card of the season, and the other two actually happened even earlier in those games (we lost each time).

The rest of the side pulled together well, with some very good performances. We were ahead when the sending off occured, but it wasn't until very late on Farsley really got going. We should have convereted more of the chances, but still I'm happy with this one.

Two players back from injury, Adam Quinn helping in defence and Andy Campbell coming on as a late subsitute up front. Hit the bar too and got a good round of applause on his appearance.

3. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    2nd January
    Littlehampton Town 3-1 Sidlesham
    Sussex Division Two

As the weather for yesterday was promising decided to take in another local game. Not having work tomorrow and the Sussex League having several games on meant a choice down here. I planned to, and indeed turned up to, Pagham to watch their division one fixture against Shoreham.

No lights on, though the ground was open and the guy was there at the gate. He had no idea as to why no-one else was there. A committee member soon turned up, to watch the game himself. Neither had a clue (later looking at the two club websites reveals nothing, though the fixture has disappeared from the League site, the others not played all turn up as postponements).

Anyway, I did get hints on how to get to Littlehampton. I knew the game was on, but had decided not to go here, electing for the higher division game which league tables suggested should be more competitive. After stopping to get directions to the ground itself, made it 15 minutes prior to kickoff.

Glad i made it. Large proper mug of tea, bacon roll and a throughly entertaining game. Chances at both ends throughout, the first goal after only five minutes from an overhead kick, Sidlesham equalised, but it was 2-1 before the break. Littlehampton scoring soon after the interval meant the 2nd half wasn't quite as entertaining as the first, but still a very good evening out. A little surprising the away captain lasted the 90 minutes, he was lucky not to be sent off after 10 minutes and had to play against some good and imaginative attacking play. A lot of variety here, near misses and good saves too.

The ground itself features a traditional wooden stand, in need of a bit of repair work, but a decent feature of the ground. It's flanked by a couple of more basic covered terraces. As the ground is multisports, the opposite side is open, with railings which can be removed for cricket, the square just off the football pitch. The rest of the sites various buildings continued in an arc from the stands, including a very good cricket pavillion.

4. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    5th January
    Woking 1-0 Halifax
    Conference National

Couldn't really miss this fixture, after all Woking are one of the most local Conference sides to me. I was able to have a relaxed lunch, before setting off with plenty of time to make the game.

Incidentally for anyone ever planning to visit Kingfield, ignore the directions posted by Woking FC, there is a perfectly good carpark straight over the road. Now although this does say football supports aren't welcome, it's the local park, this seems universally ignored.

It has several advantages:

i) It's free (at least when Woking are likely to be playing)
    ii) It's very close to the ground
    iii) It doesn't involve walking through an area which the club don't advise people to walk through on their own in the dark
    iv) It's huge, plenty of space and probably only is realistically going to approach capacity (including the park visitors) when Aldershot or Oxford visit.

The ground itself is very odd. Behind one goal is a new stand which wouldn't look out of place at a Championship side. The rest of the ground is much older and wouldn't look out of place a couple of divisions lower down. We were segregated today, first time I've experienced it down here, and the away side is uncovered.

Now I'm used to seeing close high scoring games between the two sides (at least three 2-2 draws). This time we had the majority of possession and chances, but failed to convert, including have a couple cleared off the line. Woking had about three efforts, but sadly included the two best. The goal, slightly controversially, and hitting the inside of the post.

They had a player sent off with 20 minutes to go, but we never really took advantage of it. There were strong appeals for it to be reduced to 10 a side, but only a yellow was given.

It's Leamington in the Trophy on Tuesday, really need a win then (and hope I can make Bishop's Stortford for the nex round).

5. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    6th January
    Arsenal LFC 11-1 Newquay AFC Ladies
    Women's FA Cup 4th Round

Arsenal are the top side in the womens game over here, something which was evident right from the warm up here. Newquay (actually now merged into Truro City) currently play at the second tier, after five promotions in six years, effectively about 20 places below Arsenal.

The game was played at Meadow Park, home of Boreham Wood FC (slightly confusingly adopting a different spelling of the name to the town - which has no space in it). It looks as though it's reasonably modern, but is certainly a decent ground, though service at the refreshments van came slow and expensive.

After a few early nerves from the home side, they took the lead through a very good effort from outside the box in the early minutes, and cruised through to a half time 5-0 lead. The sixth followed quickly after the restart, following which it quietened down before a late flurry of activity making it 11-0.

The consolation came from the penalty spot after an Arsenal defender had cleared the ball, when not under threat, onto her arm. Probably unlucky to conceed it, and it brought the only real protests of the game, even though really quite half-hearted. Makes a change to see a ref go through a game without decisions questioned.

Arsenal also managed three disallowed efforts, Newquay one (even the linesman who flagged said the flag went up very late, though correctly). Also the home side did hit the woodwork a couple of times, had several near misses and were denided by some, at times, inspired goalkeeping.

My day was slightly ruined by a couple of home fans (or officals?) bringing in a couple of rather aggressive dogs, which though controlled were very much a distraction to many.

6. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    8th January
    Fleet Town 2-1 Taunton Town
    Southern South & West

A short trip down the road to Fleet, the largest of the town's clubs I've seen. Come to think of it the only one actually playing in the town. Fleet Spurs are actually based over towards Farnborough these days (they don't appear to groundshare either). Arrived quite early, largely due to the surprise traffic conditions on the roads out of Reading. They were pretty clear for once.

Newish looking ground, perfectly serviceable for the level at which Fleet play and the pitch looked to be in decent shape despite recent poor weather. A pitch inspection had been made, presumably given the distance involved for Taunton.

The game was actually delayed in kicking off, due to a floodlight failure. However, they got things working. Wind and intermittent rain aren't exactly great conditions for watching, but not enough to make me move under cover.

The first half passed off largely without incident, a few chances at each end, but despite this wasn't too bad in terms of entertainment value. Second half saw the goals, Taunton taking the lead early on through a penalty, Fleet scoring two late on as the visitors tired. A draw probably the fairest result, this does however keep Fleet in contention at the top (a four way battle between them, Didcot, Farnborough and Oxford).

Former England, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Spurs player Andy Sinton is their current manager. Initially playing for the side, he appears to have given up on that now.

7. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    9th January
    AFC Aldermaston 0-2 Petersfield Town
    Wessex Division One

Finished work in time to head off to this one, down at the Atomic Weapons Establishment. Left my car on the runway, it's an old RAF base, and headed down to the ground itself. I'm presuming there must be a second level of security cordon, because to get through the first couple is just a matter of letting yourself through.

Had been tempted to go and see Shrivenham v Pegasus Juniors, but having tried to get there a few times beforehand decided to avoid it today. Incidentally when that game was previously called off, I ended up at Andover New Street, another Wessex 1st division side.

Turned out to be a poor decision. I wasn't expecting much from the home side, though they are improving of late, but the visitors were very disappointing. Two goals either side of half time, both from defenders, were all they could manage. They did have a few more chances, a couple well saved, but any more would have flattered them.

Poor ground too, I surprised it meets standards for this level. One sided, no cover, seating for three (possibly four if you're on very good terms, it was a park bench) and on the day I'd decided to grab something at the ground, unlike Andover New Street, nothing hot at all. Stood on a balcony, total room for about eight, which was as near to a spectator facility as they got.

And Shrivenham won 3-2. A Hellenic Premier game. Should have expected it.

8. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    It's been a busy few days.

12th January
    Bishop's Stortford 2-2 Halifax
    FA Trophy 2nd Round

After sneaking past Leamington (three divisions below us) on Tuesday, the second round was only a few days later. Bishop's Stortford play in the Conference South and play in a relatively new ground on the outskirts of town. Conveniently as I was a little short of time to get there, it's also just off the M11. Surprisingly the M4 and M25 were clear and the weather good. Shame the club don't have the concept of a black tea.

Not a bad cup tie, though disappointed with our performance. However, three debutants and one player for his first appearance in a year didn't help. First half probably saw the best football, but finished without any score. Second half was more scrappy, they twice took the lead, we twice equalised.

Several decent saves, a goalmouth scramble and other chances left both sides with opportunities to win, but a draw probably a fair result. The replay was unfortunately called off due to the poor weather on Tuesday.

14th January
    Milton United 1-0 Holmer Green
    Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy 2nd Round

Milton have been going well in the Hellenic Premier after a slow start to the season, so hoping for a decent game here. Sadly the wind didn't help, but with it behind them they made a decent start, scoring very early. Evened out later on as the wind died down, but a largely forgettable match.

The ground is rather basic and effectively one sided, but it does look to be a decent pitch. Bar is huge though. Milton is well inside the Oxfordshire border these days, but county FAs are more traditional, holding to the pre 1970s boundaries in the main, hence their inclusion in this competition.

15th January
    Chippenham Town 2-2 Bromsgrove Rovers
    Southern Premier

A miserable day, especially for driving along the M4. The rain was heavy, visibility low, but the club were confident about the game being on. Standing water on the way into town wasn't a good sign and nor was the referee taking note of one particular area of the pitch.

An inspection had been made during the afternoon, Bromsgrove had a long drive, and it was fine then, but the rain had come down later. An area had to have surface water removed, but the referee and both managers agreed to give the game a go, with a slight delay.

The dried are of the pitch remained sticky throughout, which did cause several passes to fall short, and conditions overall were no good despite the rain stopping. However, it turned out to be a very good game.

The home side are several places above the visitors, but it was Bromsgrove who took an early lead, though quickly pegged back. Level at the break, but both sides were creating chances and the keepers (especially for Bromsgrove) kept busy.

Shortly after half time Chippenham lost a defender for two yellow cards (he'd scored the first goal). Not really anything to argue about, both were pretty clear cut. Bromsgrove then scored from a very indirectly taken free kick. They should have made it 3-1, but a disallowed goal (should never of passed) and after beating the keeper missing an open net by placing it on a slow, uphill slope.

Chippenham fought back, very well taken shot from outside the box to level late on. Still time for both to make it 3-2. Large round of applause at the end from everyone.

An interesting ground, several different stands, though the most unusual has to be the covered seating with a capacity of about 20 (if that). Situated right next to the main stand, but looking newer, I'm not sure why it would be needed.

I've actually seen Bromsgrove before, they came up to the Shay in the FA Trophy during the mid 90s, shortly after finishing runners-up in the Conference. They have recently been regaining ground after a disastrous period which saw three or four relegations in quick succession.

16th January
    Guildford City 2-2 Carshalton Athletic
    A.E.T. Guildford win 4-3 on penalties
    Surrey FA Senior Cup 3rd Round

The Guildford ground is actually an Athletics stadium, with access only to one side, so after the track there is a small, cramped standing area, with Portakabins for club offices and boardroom. The view here was poor, so retreated up to the terraces behind. Elevated they gave a decent view, but very strange to be so far from the action. Also the steps were huge, I presume during the summer the norm would be to sit here on the concrete if Athletics is your sport.

Carshalton play a couple of steps above their hosts, and after being 2-0 up, creating several more chances too, within half an hour and without really getting out of second gear, looked to be heading the way of the Milton game earlier.

However, Guildford then really started to take the game to their visitors, pulled one back before the break, and leveled during the second. The best part of the match ended when they had a player sent off (two yellows) after 75 minutes. Quiet after this in the main, including during extra time when Carshalton failed to make the extra man count, and Guildford not being able to create as much.

So on a very cold night (the Guildford subs were sheltering under a duvet) we had penalties, the first time I've seen this in person. Their lively fans weren't too hopeful, only scored two from seven so far this season, but won 4-3 in the end. Both second penalties were saved as well as Carshalton's fifth (the final one). The keeper in question being the brother of the Woking keeper I'd seen a few weeks back.

Big cheers for the score updates from Havant & Waterlooville, though the announcer had trouble with the subs and scorers. A fan in the ground near me, and it really was awkward to see over to the far side of the pitch and figure out who was who.

9. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    19th January
    Lymington Town 1-4 Crowborough Athletic
    FA Vase 4th Round

Standing near some Crowborough fans and their bench, they were of the opinion that Lymington had only made it this far in the Vase thanks to a very favourable draw. Crowborough, highly placed in the Sussex Premier, were going to be a tough test.

No shock on the cards as the visitors were never really troubled. They took a while to get going, so despite a very early strike it was only 1-0 at the interval. However, Lymington really had little to offer.

Crowborough stepped up a gear after the break and scored three times more and only really looked like conceeding late on. The goal was an injury time consolation effort.

The ground is a multipurpose sports field (imaginatively called The Sports Ground) in a small town just south of the New Forest. Pleasant enough surroundings and only developed on one side. Parked just to one side of the goal. Also a surprisingly dry day as rain had been forecast to hit much of southern England.

One highlight of the draw for the 5th round of the Vase is a meeting between two of the favourites, Truro City v Whitley Bay. A 930 mile round trip for the visitors will be tough, and they've drifted in the betting as a result.

22nd January
    Carterton 2-2 Worcester & Bletchington
    A.E.T. Worcester win 4-2 on penalties
    Oxfordshire Senior Cup 3rd Round

This was expected to be a relatively easy win for the hosts, playing two divisions above their midtable opponents. However, right from the outset it proved anything but. The Worcester part of their name actually coming from Worcester College in Oxford, being an old boys team.

Kilkenny Lane is built just outside the town itself, but a decent ground for the level. If being rather oddly designed. The surroundings are decent (as to be expected in rural Oxfordshire), walls down two sides with a small main stand bizarrely situated towards a corner flag. The only covered standing is behind a goal, a foot below pitch level (but not a bad place to watch the shoot out later on), a large balcony outside the bar offered a good vantage point (and pint) and the dugouts were on opposite sides of the pitch, one in each half.

The visitors came out flying, 2-0 up within half an hour and all over their opponents, had chances to make it more and Carterton couldn't cope with the pace of their strikers.

Carterton did improved and grabbed two quick goals to level scores before half time. From this point on they dominated, creating most of the chances, but the visiting defence held on superbly, despite losing a central defender to cramp and then being effectively reduced to ten men after one of their earlier scorers pulled up with a hamstring problem and no subs left.

Eventually went to penalties, and after having never seen one before, this was my second in six days. Round behind the goal, to see three saves again. Best penalty was by the visiting keeper, who promptly got back to his goal to make the crucial second save. They went wild, a very good win for them over the Carterton first team.

26th January
    Leamington 1-1 Willenhall Town
    Southern Midland

Due to my parents visiting and my dad having enjoyed the Matlock game earlier in the season, I attempted to find a ground that would be on the way back for them. Having narrowly missed a trip here with Halifax in the Trophy thanks to a late winner, this seemed ideal.

After the old Leamington club folded shortly after relegation from the Conference during the 80s, the reformed club is now moving up the pyramid. After promotion last season they were sitting top again before this fixture.

No score by the break, largely uneventful, and despite being towards the lower reaches of the table Willenhall played the better football. They deserved the lead after the break, before Leamington finally scored with a cracking effort, and could have gone on to win. that would be hard on Willenhall though, who had chances to win too.

The ground is in the middle of nowhere, and whilst the surroundings look good, it has to be said the smell wasn't pleasant. Not one for the vegetarians with the strong smell of chickens in an abbatoir. Other than that I liked the ground, as presumably do the crowd, which is large for this level, despite being a good few miles from the town itself.

A very clean burger bar, with large and cheap hot drinks. A small club shop, a variety of stands and cover round the ground and the first place I've seen with a sweet shop inside the perimeter fence. A decent day all round, with the one notable exception above.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I have been watching quite a bit of football over the past few weeks, just not been able to properly update due to (ongoing) internet problems. So a bit of a catch-up:

28th January
    Beaconsfield SYCOB 1-0 Tring Athletic
    Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Cup Quarter Final

Beaconsfield (pronounced beckonsfield) is conveniently only a short distance away, and like many a club these days play outside the town itself. The ground being right next to the M40. A pretty quick trip down there for a game which always promised so much more. Both sides creating chances in the first half, but no-one scoring. The goal, which came soon after the interval, really should have livenedthe game up, but no such luck.

Despite being quite modern, this ground does at least look a little more indiviual. Stood on the back row of terracing (3 deep) at the side offers a good view of the action.

29th January
    Sandhurst Town 1-0 Wembley
    Combined Counties Premier

Along with Reading Town, Sandhurst are starting to move up the table after a poor start. Only just made the game in time thanks to a late finish to my working day. The walk to the ground is not the greatest, forcing you through a darkened wooded park.

The game itself was quite poor, Sandhurst taking the three points from one of only a few chances during the 90 minutes.

30th January
    Didcot Town 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers
    Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Quarter Final

Another new ground here and quite easily the pick of the three consecutive 1-0 scorelines I've witnessed. Actually a very youthful Wycombe team, and I doubt many have first team experience, but the were keen to do well. Both sides created chances, but deservedly won by Wycombe with a late strike.

2nd February
    Fairford Town 0-3 Hungerford Town
    Hellenic Premier

My original plan was to set off for Lydney, assured their game was on after overnight frost, found out it was cancelled soon after I left. The visiting team (Ardley United) had already set off, and weren't happy. Neither was I, but managed to make this game only 10 minutes late (and having missed non of the goals).

A poor pitch didn't help, but Hungerford really struggled to exert their clear superiority and really should have gone on to win more comfortably. The ground is dominated by a huge club house, and quite probably a rarity in having working washing machines on the terraces.

5th February
    Bicester Town 2-1 Carterton
    Hellenic Premier

The weather was quite poor for this one earlier in the day, so having located four suitable games, that weren't already listed as cancelled, I ended up at the first to give me a positive reply. Rather fortunate too in that a couple of those others (at Windsor and Burnham) were actually abandoned later in the game due to a sudden downpour that missed this part of the world.

Bicester dominated the first half, no surprise as Carterton performed as woefully as they had with me in attendance earlier on in the season, but could only lead 1-0. Second half started the saem way, before Carterton finally started playing some decent football. They equalised, and it could have gone either way before Bicester finally secured the points.

The covered terracing definitely gives this ground a little character.

6th February
    Pewsey Vale 1-0 Malmesbury Victoria
    Hellenic West

Ground regulations lead to this ground having the most bizarre seating I've yet seen. They are undercover in front of the clubhouse, but this is set back from, and below pitch level. You'd struggle to see, especially as it is the area in front of this which most fans stand.

A dull first half was livened up by the antics of the visiting keeper, including several reckelss runs out of his box. How the referee failed to sent him off when he brought down an attacker on the edge of
    the box, clean through on goal in the final minutes before the break eludes me (and the Malmesbury fans). A free kick was awarded.

A single goal after the break settled the tie, and it is clear to see why Malmesbuy have struggled this season. Defence isn't too bad, but they had only scored 10 league goals by this point, and rarely looked in with a shout of adding to that.

9th February
    Crowborough Athletic 0-2 Kirkham & Wesham
    FA Vase Fifth Round

A record crowd for Crowborough, by now second favourites with the bookmakers for this competition meant that the kick off had to be delayed by 10 minutes to get everyone in. A glorious day and a large contingent from the visitors made for a good atmosphere.

To my surprise, however, the home side really turned in a poor performance. They had just scored five second half goals without reply away at the third placed side in the Sussex 1st division and clearly have some talent. They expect to be promoted to step 4 next season, and really only one side have even a half chance of stopping them.

The visitors came out the stonger, before Crowborough finally got on top late in the first half, even having a goal disallowed for offide. After the break it was Kirkham who played by far the better football, and diservedly winning against a side a step above them in the pyramid. If they keep playing like this then they too should be promted.

I'd decided to go here, as I thought this might be a better game than the nearby Merstham v Consett fixture in the same compeition. A wrong choice as I got stuck in Tunbridge Wells on the way back and Merstham twice came from two goals down to win 5-4.

12th February
    Hook Norton 0-5 Ardley United
    Hellenic Premier

I'd actually intended to watch this fixture last week, but it became an early casulaty of the weather.

This ground is probably visited in daylight as the surroundings are apparently very scenic, but the ground itself very basic (but does benefit from a clubhouse which can serve the local beer).

For two sides level on points, and a local derby to boot, a very strange affair. Ardley breezed into a 3-0 lead, Hook Norton could have easily had a player sent off, before it got even worse for them. At this point I was also asked by a late arriving home fan how his side were doing, he was pretty quiet for the rest of the game. The ref played advantage allowing Hook Norton to continue, but the player concerned quickly turned around pushed the opposition player and called him a dirty c**t. Not surprisingly they played the rest of the game a man short.

Ardley never reaced the same heights as the first half, and never needed to, the fourth came early in the half and the fifth towards the end. Hook Norton finally had a decent chance as injury time approached, but could no no better than hitting the bar. The mists also were rolling in late on.

13th February
    Ruislip Manor 0-2 Biggleswade Town
    Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Cup 3rd Round

Or maybe a quarter final. This has been delayed a few weeks due to Ruislip having been granted time to sort out problems at the club. essentially no-one to sit on the committee. The ground is interesting, but suffers from being run down in many places.

A clearly superior Biggleswade team should have won this more comfortably, but really didn't need to do any more.

16th February
    Merrow 0-12 Hanworth Villa
    Combined Counties Division One

This game very nearly never kicked off at all. The Merrow players only agreeing to play at the last minute and even then there was only nine of them. The guy in goal wasn't a keeper and had only turned up after a few weeks away hoping for a game in the reserves. Hanworth were top.

Hanworth led 3-0 at half time and were slated for a poor performance, they really should have done better against nine men for 25 minutes (when they scored twice). Two late arrivals made it eleven a side, and a couple of Merrow players actually aquitted themselves well.

As the game wore on it became increasingly one way traffic, including an own goal and a dubious penalty.

Merrow have already resigned for next season, preferring to go back to more local football due to difficulties in getting a squad together. Also playing on a roped up school field (on top of a hill, very scenic) with minimal facilites pitchside this isn't a surprise (no lights, seating or cover, but does have a large grass bank). Their manager didn't even turn up.

First game I've seen with more goals than spectators too, including three young kids who preferred throwing themselves down the grass bank and playing in the long jump pit. The club official I spoke to seemed unhappy about everything and the linesman was of the opinion that this was an embarrasment.

11. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    20th February
    Bishops Cleeve 4-1 Bedworth United
    Southern Midland

Due to a dying car the previous night I'd opted to visit Wallingford, a game postponed whilst I was driving up there. Had I had my new vehicle, I'd have visited Ardley, who won 9-1 against a higher placed team. Better luck tonight.

After negotiating Cheltenham, a town in desparate need of better signposts - got lost once or twice, and sometimes had too little notice of a turnoff. Given I had to pass the racecourse on my way out, rather surprising.

Nice small ground on the edge of the town, large clubhouse and indoor snack bar (with proper cups for tea). A friendly welcome and a chat with a Cheltenham fan about the 97/98 season then a breif read of the programme, before being interrupted by a rather odd Swindon fan. I have no problem with having a chat at games, but please don't talk twice as fast without ever listening once to what the other person says.

Bishops Cleeve raced into a two goal lead within three minutes, the second a superb curling shot into the top corner from the edge of a crowed penalty area. They could easily have made it 3-0 soon afterwards.

Had Bedworth shown more effectiveness up front this really could have been a cracking game. Despite having equal possession, they never really looked like scoring, their goal a very nlate consolation.

I felt the ref was unconvincing in the first half, but improved after the interval.

12. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I'm sure you've been asked this before, but how come you support Halifax when you could support Reading. Is it that you used to live there or have family there, just wonderin?

13. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I am a northerner, actually raised in Derbyshire (which incidentally explains both my username and avatar). When younger I was taken to, and used to follow, a couple of the local top flight teams (Man Utd and Oldham). My dad always used to say he supported Halifax, but had never actually been. They drew Stockport away in the FA Cup, my local professional side, and my sister and I persuaded him to take us along. Despite losing 5-1 that day, we maanged to get him to take us along to more games and just found I enjoyed those more than going to Old Trafford or watching Man Utd on TV.

As for Reading it is only relatively recently I've actually moved down here (the summer of 2005) and having been able to get to a lot of Halifax games over the past two seasons I've never really felt any inclination to go (cost and difficulty of getting tickets don't help) - but I've had little interest in the Premiership in any form since the late 90s.

I would like to try and go a few more Reading Town games (a bit further for me to travel) and get into following them a little more, but at the moment prefer to visit different places, something I've enjoyed a lot following Halifax over the past few seasons. I'd never gone to most of the towns I'd visited before, and in many cases would have never found a reason too.

It has been rumoured, not sure how acurately, that Reading Town are planning on transferring to the Hellenic League next year, that would certainly get me more interested - I'd rather visit rural Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire than the London area clubs they currently play.

14. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    ya i don't like to support the big teams, i'm a Swindon fan, cause i used to have a relative that live in marlborough.

15. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    As a Halifax fan, Swindon are a big team ;), of course to all those I've seen toady, Halifax are themselves.

23rd February
    Marsh Rangers 0-2 Sutton Common Rovers
    Middlesex Premier

Marsh Rangers were formed in 1980 by a group of QPR fans (hence the name - they are nicknamed the Rodneys) and the two clubs do still maintain a releationship. This was their first game at a new ground, resulting in heavy promotion of the fixture, and a large crowd (201 at step 7).

Hillingdon Athletics Stadium, located in Uxbridge, does have its problems for football, namely the distance the crowd is from the action, though the banking does offer reasonable viewing (but won't convince anyone to like this arrangement).

Fairly routine win for the visitors, who always looked the more likely to score, especially during the first half when their two goals came. Marsh Rangers really didn't create much until the closing minutes and never looked like making a good fist of it.

23rd February
    Storrington 0-1 East Grinstead Town
    Sussex Division Two

After leaving Uxbridge headed down to Sussex for this more regular kickoff time. A very basic ground behind a leisure centre, no seating (except for the lad who climbed one of the trees). Some shelter, though quite a way back from the pitch.

It started with a minutes silence, a player at Ringmer in division one having collapsed and died during a game last weekend. Observed by everyone, Ringmer themselves were back in action at the request of his family, winning 2-1.

East Grinstead are top, and Storrington near the bottom, but the game was close throughout. The visitors started strongly, but despite creating many chances couldn't put any away until midway through the second half. How some chances didn't go in will escape everyone at the game. Storrington have several new players, and it showed, as they had the better of the ball in midfield. Unfortunately for them they couldn't actually force the keeper into a decent save until the last few minutes.

After the final whistle the home side then had the job of dismantling the goals, something I've never seen beforehand - can't see why these need to be removable.

Drove back to Reading, picking up fish & chips as usual, someone before me had just ordered 85 of them (plus a couple of other things). Service was slow.

16. wingman8

wingman8 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    yes i could see Swindon being a big club compared to Halifax, but in the big picture their only in league one.

17. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Hopefully my connection problems have been resolved (fingers crossed), so I'll try and be a bit more regular with this.

26th February
    Henley Town 4-1 Prestwood
    Hellenic East

Henley are one of the nearest clubs to me, so time to pay a visit. They've suffered a bit from postponements over the course of the season. Playing near the Thames probably doesn't help.

A friendly club here, seemed to get a welcome from everyone. The game was a little late kicking off due to a discussion over the keepers shirts. One fan got rater irate about this.

A poor game really, Henley went 2-0 by half-time and 4-0 ahead during the second, but lost the ball far too easily. Still Prestwood were much worse and offered very little in return.

A Henley fan left with ten minutes to go, convinced there would be no more scoring. Cue them hitting the woodwork twice and missing from a yard out, before Prestood finally scrambled a consolation. They have eight points all season, but should comfortably avoid the bottom spot.

27th February
    Chalfont Wasps 5-0 Kintbury Rangers
    Hellenic East

A far higher level of skill on offer here. Chalfont are at the top, Kintbury chasing the second promotion place. Whereas the previous nights scoreline was in large due to the lack of ability of the losers, this was very much a top notch home effort.

Speaking to the gateman on the way in, he reckons that several players are too good for this level, and the club have done well to get them. Easy to see why. Chalfont, now ground sharing in order to develop their own ground, were 3-0 up and playing some very good football by the break. A lot of the passing wouldn't look out of place higher up the pyramid.

Kintbury didn't look too bad themsevles, but were never looking like they could get much out of this. However midway through the second healf they lost it. Too much dissent saw two sent off, Chalfont hitting two more to seal a comfortable win.

1st March
    Harrow Hill 0-0 Bicester Town
    Hellenic Premier

Although I've attempted to get here in the past, with a working internet connection I'd have given this one a miss, made especially annoying as this was one of the worst games I've seen all season. Spent the second half chatting to the linesman.

Bicester have struggled at the back, but looked good going forward in the past, and playing against a side who will conceed 100 goals this season and still haven't got to the 10 point mark yet, should have done better. Harrow Hill even managed to lose 7-1 at Carterton the other week.

Still the home side did look better than their record would suggest, and they have been weakened by suspensions due to disciplinary problems. This wasn't evident expect for a sudden mass brawl during the second half (a player from each side sent off).

Some chances to win late on, but neither keeper really did much.

Still, on the positive side, a nice day and a nice place to visit. Harrow Hill is a small village in the Forest of Dean. Wooded, split level site with two pitches (and two games) and a decent clubhouse found down a narrow lane. Not all bad.

5th March
    Staines Lammas 5-0 Worcester Park
    Combined Counties Division One

The previous match between the two was actually abandoned through fighting. This fixture was a much tamer affair. Staines are in with a good shout of winning the division, Worcester Park having nearly won last year are out of the title race now.

A comfortable win, Staines would cope with the step up, though I'm not sure they actually can. 5-0 up within an hour and had plenty of chances afterwards.

Problem for them concerns their ground, which isn't floodlit. They're playing a few fixtures to ease congestion at Ashford Town (Middlesex). This being one of them. Not good enough to make a new permanent home this late in the season.

This ground is very close to Heathrow, every few seconds a plane would emerge from behind the main stand. A small compact ground this one, for a club who have been mving up the pyramid of late.

18. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    8th March
    Histon 1-3 Halifax
    Conference

First visit to see Halifax in quite a while. Histon being based in a small village just to the north of Cambridge. It's also leaves just three current Conference National grounds I've still to visit. The ground is currently undergoing some development, and most of it looks pretty new. Although Histon have done well over the past few seasons to get promoted to this level, you have to wonder if it can be miantained. The village doesn't look the sort of place to support a professional side.

Histon started the brighter, but after we hit the bar early on, managed to dominate the next forty minutes or so. 2-0 up at the break and 3-0 soon after. Histon weren't playing with any fluidity and for once our players looked up to the challenge.

Histon did pull one back, a superb 35 yard shot, but despite coming to the fore as the game wore on, created few chances. Adam Legdzins looked safe enough.

19. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Halifax Update

The last few weeks have started to look quite good, ten points from 4 games (including beating Torquay) and pulling away from the relegation zone. Now we're going into administration, face ten points deducted and thorwn back into the relegation battle. At least we would still be (just) above the drop zone, but with a tough run to finish.

In theory this sounds like it could speed up the much needed takeover, but if relegation were to result it would be a disaster. And the sum a winding up order was made for? Less than £8,000.

20. Mikey007

Mikey007 New Member

Feb 21, 2008
  21. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I'm not particularly happy about it, but I can't actually make the game. Rather frustrating as it's one of only three grounds in the Conference I've never been to (Altrincham and Salisbury the other two).

I'm needing to cut back on spending a bit, so I'm planning to stay more local. I will actually be intending to go to three games that day, cost of tickets will be about the same, but I'll cover less than half the distance. Also I don't fancy the M6 on a bank holiday.

22. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    15th March
    Ascot United 5-0 Eton Wick
    Hellenic East

Ascot play on a pitch at the racecourse, a spur of which runs behind one goal. You can see the huge grandstand a little bit further down. The course really dominates the town, drive down the main road through, and pretty much all you can see on one side is the course.

A suspended player was covering the gate, and the ground itself is fairly basic. A temporary building as a clubhouse, no bar as this club is really one which caters for all ages and therefore has a first team (rather than a first team which runs a few junior sides). No cover, I needed my own, but pretty pleasant surroundings.

Eton Wick are the only side in the top 10 levels of English football yet to record a win this season. It really isn't hard to see why. Ascot were promoted out of the Reading League last season and sit comfortably midtable. They didn't have to play well as they moved comfortably into a 3-0 lead at the break.

The second half is quite possibly the worst 45 minutes of football I've seen. Ascot were kept out on the pitch at half-time and instructed to have a go pushing forward, try to get a good win. This didn't happen. They seemed to sit back, let Eton Wick [try to] have a go at them and ended up with both sides looking poor. The fullbacks who had gone forward often before the break didn't really move.

There was a nasty clash of heads, forcing an Ascot player off with a lot of blood flowing down his face (and unsteady on hs feet). A few moments of concern for everyone. They eventually scored a late penalty (an odd decision where the referee took a long time to make up his mind) and an injury time fifth (probably the only decent move of the half).

18th March
    AFC Wallingford 1-5 Fairford Town
    Hellenic Premier

It's not that long since Wallingford managed consecutive seasons of 100+ points and failed to win their division either time. The first of those saw AFC Wimbledon a place behind them. It's quite hard to imagine over 2,000 people in Hithercroft (27 this evening).

Wallingford have 5 points this season, their only win coming early on against Harrow Hill. Fairford hadn't won for a long time either (early November) and are current third bottom, about 10 points off guaranteed safety. However, they may well survive courtesy off too few sides in the feeder divisions meeting the ground grading required or if Lydney Town get thrown out.

Fairford had by far the better of the first half, but could only score once. After the break they conceeded an early equaliser, a few errors allowed Wallingford to score without ever creating very much. This spurred the visitors on, they were dominant from this point in, playing some very good football. It really should have been more, but several chances were wasted as a player went for his hattrick, when passing would have been a better option.

Spent a good portion of the game talking to some visiting officials who aren't too happy with Lydney. They have apparently got a deadline (which will never be met) to get their ground up to standard. Other clubs have had to do it, yet Lydney are still playing on a ground which has no floodlights, is not enclosed (no means of controlling entry) and absolutely no cover, hard standing or raised viewing areas. I can easily agree with this, some flexibility in needed, but they've done nothing for so long now.

23. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    22nd March
    Ash United 0-2 Reading Town
    Combined Counties Premier

A comfortable win for Reading in the end, they failed to score three times when one on one with the Ash keeper. Possession was even, but the home side never really gave the visiting keeper much to do. And what he did have to content with was dealt with no fuss. A goal each half is enough to keep up the good run of form for Reading and move further away from the relegation zone.

Most interesting feature of the match was the weather. Until the last half hour which was enitrely sunny, we were treated to (and no more than five minutes at a time), sun, cloudy skies, gentle breezes, strong gales, drizzle, rain, sleet, snow and a blizzard. Made for a damp pitch which was tricky to play on, though neither side really seemed to let this affect them.

I stood in the open for most of the game (I prefer to be by the halfway line), but did have to retreat to the cover behind the goal at the clubhouse end for a few minutes. I couldn't hold my umbrella that easily. A decent ground, although I'd prefer the cover to be nearer the middle. A new set of seats sits near one corner. At least the tea bar was under cover. Looks like this one has the space to develop for a higher level if needed.

Reading also have one of the loudest followings at this level. There are a group of about half a dozen teenagers who regularly make the away trips and chant throughout.

Popped into the clubhouse to check on the score from Halifax. We lost 3-0 at home to Oxford. Now effectively one point above the relegation zone. The clubhouse itself is pretty good though, a decent sized bar and a large function room.

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A few pics from Aldershot v Salisbury today.

Some of the Salisbury fans behind the goal. Not really clear from this picture, but they must have had roughly the 388 in the 3,388 crowd. A real old-fashioned ground. Apart from removing some fences from the front of the terraces, and the addition of a fence at the back of the "footpath end", the place is exactly as it was when Aldershot were a league club.

[​IMG]

The Salisbury keeper punches clear, and takes out two Aldershot attackers for good measure.

[​IMG]

Aldershot's Daniel Hylton heads in the 82nd minute winner, which pretty much ensures Football League football at Aldershot next year, for the first time in 16 years.

[​IMG]

25. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    I've not been able to get to as much football of late, disappointing in particular at this time of the year.

Halifax Update

Surivived. Just.

A 4-0 win away to Crawley in midweek left us two points above Altrincham with one game to play. A point would be good enough, given a huge advantage in terms of goal difference. Unfortunately, results haven't been great in the run in (Crawley aside). Stevenage won 2-1.

Fortunately Altrincham could only draw with Weymouth, twice coming from behind thanks to former Halifax players. Having kicked off the second half late, there were a few nervous minutes watching out for a result. Altrincham have now finished in the relegation zone for the past three seasons, and could still stay up given the situations at Rotherham and AFC Bournemouth.

Farsley were technically relegated today as well, though needed to overcome a three point and about 30 goal gap to stay up. Some movement will be needed at step two as all four relegated sides are in the north.

The financial situation at the Shay is still poor, but on the pitch at least we can fight another day.

29th March
    Indian Gymkhana 1-1 Sutton Common Rovers
    Middlesex Premier

Potentially a key match in the title race here. The game really should have been won, but for some very poor finishing. A fair result in the end, and one which keeps the division wide open (it still is too, both clubs and South Kilburn in with a should).

Large clubhouse, but a basic open pitch. The club is probably best known for its hockey team who have competed at the highest level possible in the country. a competition recently win again by Reading. Not that you would know.

8th April
    Fleet Spurs 0-1 Whitchurch United
    Wessex One

Missed a Saturday for the first time since the opening day of the season due to work commitments, so took in a local midweek game. The reverse fixture ended 4-0 to Spurs after a convincing first half performance.

This was the first game under lights at Southwood, switched on with the minimal amout of fuss, despite getting in a founding member of the club. Incidentally, for most of the clubs history, including the present, they are actually based in Farnborough.

New clubhouse, which provides shelter to the only seating in the ground. Definitely seats installed to tick boxes rather than for demand, they are 15 meters away from the pitch, barely elevated and have the view of key areas of the pitch obscured by the dugouts.

The less said about the game the better. Whitchurch were better than the earlier meeting, Fleet Spurs worse. A dull game narrowly avoided being a 0-0 with a late winner for the visitors. Both clubs finish low down the division.

15th April
    Glossop North End P-P Trafford
    North west Counties Division One

The day had been reasonably fine apart from a short hailstorm. Another shortly before kickoff caused a postponement. Trafford had just taken the title after winning 17 games on the trot. Glossop have been going well too, sixth at the time.

Should have gone to Buxton.

22nd April
    Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-5 Henley Town
    Hellenic East

My 100th ground, at the third attempt. A very basic ground, with little in the way of spectator facilities. The club can't develop this place, but are moving to a new site where they are able to, so this should be the final fixture at Lowther Road (at this level anyway).

Wokingham were challenging for the Conference during the mid-nineties, but sold their ground due to financial problems, groundsharing and playing away from the area led to a downward spirial and consequent loss of support. They were forced to merge with local side Emmbrook Sports to keep the name alive and have been a lower step 6 side ever since.

The game itself was quite interesting, though probably would have been better with a referee more inclined to let it flow. The first half in particular was very stop start. Henley took an early lead, and were never behind. Wokingham always kept the score within two goals, and at times looked like they could pull it back (they hit the woodwork late on), but Henley were the better side.

26th April
    Eton Wick 3-5 Rayners Lane
    Hellenic East

I'd never seen a 3-5 away win until last Saturday, took seven days for the second one. Eton Wick is a small village within sight of Windsor Castle, which dominates the view from the ground. Another basic affair, the club can't develop due to local objections, which helped to prevent promotion when they won the division a few years ago. Since then they have gone backwards and have now finished the season without a win in the league, the only club in the top 10 levels of the English game who managed that feat. Their last home league win is now more than two years ago (Wokingham & Emmbrook on that occasion).

Rayners Lane aren't that much better, but skill wise they were a different class today. Despite losing a defender to injury early on they took an early lead. An improvement from the home side led to two goals and a 2-1 interval lead for them.

A change in formation for the visitors after the break, sticking four at the back again made the difference, Rayners Lane quickly restoring the lead, creating many chances and staying firm at the back. A fourth was soon added, before Eton Wick scored from their one real chance of the half (a soft penalty). An aging coach got a rare appearance and goal for the visitors before the end.

First real bright day of the season since the first couple of months. Lots of people around, but sadly very few really interested in this game. Several dog walkers and ball games around, drinking and picnicing too. More were watching the Premiership game in the clubhouse before kcikoff.