AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab fought very, very hard for Weston. He thought he had a deal with Schalke the week before the roster was due to secure Weston's release - but that fell through

Tab also really liked Taitague but Weston was target #1

ChuckMe92, LouisZ and chrome_vapors repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was always this good. He had a bad spell for a few months with the U-17's (despite absolutely ripping it up with the Cosmos at the time), and people instantly decided he was Quavas Kirk or Stefan Jerome because of it, especially people who had just tuned in at the end of that cycle

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he ever "ripped it up" with the Cosmos. He scored a handful of goals in NPSL (with Cosmos B), but only had 4 1st team appearances.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You can only play where they let you play. The Cosmos were the best team in NASL/USL at the time. I'm pretty sure he was over a goal per game with Cosmos B, which is more than good, regardless of where it is.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Wikipedia says he had 5 goals in 4 NPSL league games which is good for a 17 year old playing in a semi-pro league. I can't find a good summary of the playoffs for that year to see if

But it's not the same as the Cosmos, where he played about 90 minutes total. Trying to make sure the two aren't confused.

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Mods, I apologize in advance for this way off topic NT talk.

I kept my counsel in the YNT threads before and after the U-20 WC and I am only responding now because I keep seeing the same responses in this thread and McKennie's and, frankly, I don't believe Tab was completely honest. I thought his explanations for the absence of many Euro based players was weaselly at best and more likely ambiguous half-truths. I mean, who really gives a shit? We could probably fit in two Pringle's cans all the fans who even realize some really good players were left off the roster or knew there was a youth World Cup this summer.

Look. Tab selected his roster. That is his prerogative. They did not under perform at the WC, (which I, personally, attribute to a favorable group and an excellent performance from our CBs). Some would say that he has a fairly good record at identifying talent and forming competitive teams and I am not necessarily disagreeing. But I suspect that he found a workable group before the qualifying tournament, grew frustrated with the difficulty of dealing with some European clubs, and didn't make much of an effort for players that were occasionally not released throughout the cycle (Perez, Akale, et al). Then, his master plan was foiled by Fossey's injury and the fact that Schalke was competing for the championship.

I will not presume to know how well we might have done with some of the snubs included but I suspect players like Farfan, Olosunde, Cannon, etc. would have shown better than the players Tab went with.

I'm all for giving anyone the benefit of doubt. But I also recognize quibbling when I see it. Tab's statements that you refer to were from the press conference after the roster announcement. He was challenged on none of his pronouncements. Yes, he said that Shalke did not play ball. Earlier reports said that Shalke would be willing to release two of the three Americans. They also very clearly said that they would release all of them as soon as the U-19 competition was finished. That would have allowed McKennie to join the day of the first group match. It seems pretty clear to me that Tab wanted McKennie and he wanted him Now! Instead of negotiating the release with Shalke he simply said F*ck it and threw the club under the bus because he knew the US Soccer media would never challenge him.

As for Perez? His responses were, if possible, more ambiguous. Tab said things to the effect of "yeah, they weren't that cooperative over the course of the cycle and I think there may have been a slight injury problem somewhere in there." A smiling phalanx of pimpled soccer "journalists" dutifully scribbled down his words and reported it. Meanwhile, Schalke and Fiorentina were bewildered by his statements, to the extent they even cared.

Might we not sometimes grant the benefit of the doubt to the clubs, as well? Might help for future call-ups.

jond, beerslinger23, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.
  7. Adhitya Bagus

Adhitya Bagus Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Depok
    Judging from his lean frame, I doubt than he can be physically imposing like Lukaku or Drogba who are not only big, but also having thick frame.

I think one of aspect that often overlooked by most people is off the ball movement and positioning. Even player like Inzaghi could score tons of goal without profound use of dribbling ability or blistering pace. He showed that in his first three goals, where he is practically unmarked.

If his movement gets better, I think he could be modern Nwankwo Kanu with better pace and physical play

8. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I don't know whether he will or won't be a physically imposing target, but it's too early to tell for a guy that just turned 19 and apparently was still growing that late.

Happens all the time in football- where guys are sticks until they stop growing for a couple years and enter a legitimate college weight training program, and then start packing on the muscle. Just have to wait and see.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  9. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    happened to me, i was anorexic looking and weighed 140 at the end of highschool, by the end of my freshman year of college, i was at 190 and lean......some people just form late

TMBMiles repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be honest.....you put on the freshman 50.

13. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea...I was just praying some of it went to my wang, talk about a disappointment...it all went to my ass

14. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea...I was just praying some of it went to my wang, talk about a disappointment...it all went to my ass

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We believe you the first time ;)

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Can we get back to Haji's measurements, er height?

17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
  18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, what's different about Picard?

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    How tall is Patrick Stewart?

He lists himself as 5'-10" on his resume, but this site has him at 5'-8" currently. His peak height was supposedly 5'-9". Must've been when he had hair.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Stewart discussion stays in the Huddersfield thread.

ielag and ebbro repped this.
  21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  22. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    cost himself a chance at goal w/ poor first touch

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He did okay, no goals, wasn't great, wasn't bad. He made a lot of nice runs, but Harit refuses to pass and Tekpetey passes too late. Wrongly was ruled offside after Wes played a nice through ball, he should've had a breakaway. He also had a nice play on another run where I think it was Wes again who made the pass, and he did well to get a cross off into the six that the goalie dealt with.

Adhitya Bagus, Gacm32 and dd601 repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1099 onefineesq, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    So you wrote all that to say what I said ... which is there IS in fact "evidence" to support the idea that Schalke wouldnt release its players (the supposed absence of which is what I was disputing). You have chosen not to believe said evidence, which is fair enough. But evidence, in the form of the statements of one of the principals of the discussions, in fact exists. I am not sure why that long of a rant was necessary for you to simply offer the not so subtle opinion that 'Tab is lying.'

And by the way, the comments I am referring to were NOT from a press conference. They were from an interview he did with 2 pundits on Sirius XM FC.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Avdijaj was suspended for today's match, Tedesco said after the match.

I don't know if it means anything, might've just been a one game suspension, but if he's now in Tedesco's doghouse or he's loaned out/transferred because of this, it could help Haji's position within the team. They are different types of forwards, but Avdijaj is one more forward that could take minutes from Haji.