AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    McKennie and Wright named in a Goal.com article on the top 5 talents in Schalke's youth system U-19 and up. This article is in German.They threw in a U-23 player just for the sake of it, I think, to make it seem like they have to pick players from both teams, but I don't think that guy belongs. http://www.goal.com/de/news/3643/ex...e-mckennie-co-fünf-top-talente-von-schalke-04

By my estimation, the top five (in no particular order) are McKennie, Wright, Kubler, and two of Kruger, Goller and Taitague, based on what I've read and the little I've watched of their play this season, potential, pro readiness.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great interview. All three sound intelligent, driven, and grateful. You can tell how they bought into the culture of living and breathing football 24-7. Weston is particular was well spoken and you can understand right off the bat why he has worn the armband for club and country. I hope within the next 12 to 18 months these guys can break into the first team.

4. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Haji will be the first one to break through....kid has a nose for goal and his time with a Schalke has been invaluable for his development....smart decision on his part....Schalke needs to get rid of a few of those strikers and give the guy a shot, because he's making the U-19s his bitch right now

sXeWesley, PalmettoSpur and m vann repped this.
  5. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This might've been posted recently, but:

Haji Wright has 9 goals and 11 assists in 19 U-19 games (1,612 minutes).

Another center forward, Florian Kruger, has 10 goals and 9 assists in 18 games (1,291 minutes).

A right winger, Benjamin Goller, has 8 goals and 10 assists in 21 games (1,571 minutes).

Looking at those stats, is it good that Kruger has so many goals and assists in so few minutes, or is it better that Wright gets significantly more minutes? Then again, Wright has played on both wings, too. Maybe that versatility keeps him on the field more.

6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't think it is bad or surprising that another young talent is performing well for their U-19's. It's not like there can only be one high production player at this level, especially considering Schalke's U-19 teams dominance this year. I want our guys to play with talented players at every level, high-level competition is key for growth and development.

PalmettoSpur and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many of those assists are to eachother?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #658 ussoccer97531, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Kruger is primarily a CF. Haji plays on the wings a lot. Goller is a winger who's had a surprise season, but from what I've read, he's badly out of form right now.

And Schalke fans always remark that they think he'll be a better pro than academy player. They say he puts in some dominant match winning performances, but then might have a few games where he's not as good. They think a more challenging environment will bring more of out him. As I've long said, he's dominant in the middle. Playing on the wing, he's not at his best, can stop the ball, over dribble, and he's not the type you want wasting energy on defense.

Notice the different answers from Wright, McKennie and Taitague to their goals. Haji said he wanted to get as many first team games and trainings in as possible. Nick said he's concentrated on the U-19's, Weston said a mix of those two. He's pro ready, too athletically dominant against kids. Its kind of a waste at this point to play him against academy players. Whether its with Schalke or out on loan, he needs to be playing pro soccer next season.

9. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Second paragraph about Haji?

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    These sound like a couple of potential concerns to have about his game.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Schalke U-19 won 3-1. All three Americans started. Wright scored the last goal, and played 90. Taitague played 53. McKennie played 90, and from what I have found, he may have had the assist on the first goal.

13. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks for all the updates on our Schalke prospects. Good to see him back in action after the injury.

He seems to get on the scoresheet a lot. Given that he has good athleticism for the next level, I'm really looking forward to him getting more shots with first team in the coming year.

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What a finish that is. The kid seems to be a proficient finisher with both feet, and has the ability to beat players 1v1 whenever I've seen him at Schalke.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #666 ussoccer97531, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    He's a prolific finisher with both feet. I read an article not too long ago where teams were trying to force him right because they thought his strong foot was his left foot, not knowing his right was his strong foot. He's so good with both feet that they just couldn't figure out what his strong foot is. Its no coincidence that wherever he's played, he's scored goals. He can score them in every which way. I wish teams would stop playing him on the wings. He's a CF. His dribbling, playmaking, soccer IQ is fine, its just not elite. His goal scoring, pace, size and athleticism is elite though, and thats why he needs to be playing centrally.

m vann, PalmettoSpur, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    The American Aubameyang. Love it. Burgstaller is scoring goals for Schalke...and Embolo will be a lock starter when he's healthy wth the amount of money they paid for him. Perhaps a loan for Haji next year? Not sure he'll get much opportunity next year, especially with Schalke not likely to be playing in Europa league.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I think a loan, which isn't bad. Maybe they keep him around though, I don't know. I'm hoping they make the Europa League because I want them to have more fixtures, which ups the chances the three Americans get playing time next season.

19. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's tools are off the wall good. But you need more than that at the level he's at.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Off the wall tools are overrated.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  21. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Even off the wall good tools?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  22. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    When the world is on your shoulder
    Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    It's just not enough at that level. @eliwood knows.

25. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It was just a rhetorical question but thanks for the response...sometimes, "gotta let that fool loose deep inside your soul". Haji is a good young footballer let's hope he continues smoothly in his progress to the top!

PalmettoSpur and Eighteen Alpha repped this.