AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He played about 15 minutes. He didn't get many touches, his team was defending a 1-0 lead. He had one nice run down the end line, skirted the line and put it right across the face of the goal, but it was cleared just before his teammate could get a touch on it. It was a nice individual play, unlucky to not get an assist. Not much more than that, could've got a corner kick for a cross that looked like it deflected out, but the referee ruled the goalie had gotten to it in time.

The guy who replaced him in the lineup today didn't score or get an assist. They have 3 games in 6 days, so it would make sense that the striker who only got 15 minutes today would play on Friday.

taylor, sakibomb523, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Starts.

ShaftBrewer, TxEx, Pl@ymaker and 6 others repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    any aboveboard streaming options for b2?

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    58 minutes today, I thought he did quite well with hold up play, drawing fouls, pressing, just absolutely zero service, I was surprised he came out because he was doing better than the other attackers. His team couldn't create any good chances. He had one half chance that if he scored would've been an excellent goal, but it was tough off balance volley that he didn't get good contact on, so it wasn't really much of a chance anyway. Frustrating league to watch. Not much football going on, just a bunch of midfield battles and aerial duels.

taylor, sakibomb523, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  6. Adhitya Bagus

Adhitya Bagus Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Depok
    bundesliga-streams.net

The mid was so uninspiring tonight. It's like they didn't know nothing but backpass and long ball forward. Hence, a quiet night for Wright

Wright only had a look somewhere in the mid of 1st half. Tried to beat 2 marker, lost 1 but disposessed by the 2nd. If he lash a shot after he lost the 1st, could've had a shot on goal which would probably be blocked or saved. However, it looks like a typical of him to get a somewhat clear way before taking an attempt on goal.

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    subbed off at the 59th.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way only way Wright can immediately help this team is to continue improve his hold up play. It looks like he's not going to get any service.

The Irish Rover and Adhitya Bagus repped this.
  9. Adhitya Bagus

Adhitya Bagus Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Depok
    True. More aerial prowess also wont hurt. I just dont buy it when one of his team mate made a far post cross while Wright is available in dead center.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the previous game I watched, he needed to be more active off the ball. Make diagonal runs into space and pressure the opponent up high in combination with his teammates. Everything was very casual, and this was in spite of being a super-sub when he didn't need to conserve energy. This is not a team that is going to build up slowly to his feet very often so he can work his magic there. He needs to work to get the ball in dangerous positions for himself and his team.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It reminded me of Aronjo's games. The other guys much rather passed the ball to one of the other forwards, even when surrounded, than to him when he only had a man to beat. He has to earn the trust of his teammates.

Adhitya Bagus repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he would probably help this team more if he was playing on the wing than as a striker because other than Daghfoos they have zero creative ability. The other winger is worthless, the two CM's only pass the ball back, the other striker is a poacher. I'm surprised they are doing well so far in the standings because I don't see this team having enough creative ability in it to consistently create enough chances to win games. They are barely getting results, so I doubt it continues.

But on the other hand, Wright is getting minutes, so he has to do better. Can't just complain about the lack of service. I think its been a pretty fair criticism the last few matches, as he's really just not had any opportunities, contrasting to the previous few where he had a few where he was unlucky not to score. He needs to move around a little more, constantly running the channels, looking for different angles because these players are not going to be picking out perfect passes, he has to work for his touches. And when his team has the ball in a position to cross it, he has to get in the middle of the box, and win headers. He's more of a counter-attacking player as I've mentioned before, but these games have not been counter-attacking football, so he has to adjust.

edcrocker and Adhitya Bagus repped this.
  13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that is a loan vs contracted player thing? Or just that he hasn't earned his stripes for SVS yet?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I suspect it's the loan thing. Sandhausen doesn't get loaned players often, and when they get a couple, it's mainly for depth. The other two loanees they have is a backup keeper unlikely to see any minutes, and a guy who doesn't even make the bench.

I've followed them for a while because of Wooten and IMO they're not one of the teams amenable to loanees.

Adhitya Bagus repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only got to watch the second half and Haji had no way of getting the ball. Pretty upsetting. However, he does look more confident, and has good positioning on defense. I hope he can learn how to come back and help out in midfield like Jozy does when the service isn't there.

taylor and edcrocker repped this.
  16. Adhitya Bagus

Adhitya Bagus Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Depok
    The usual way to win his team mates' heart would be if he made a goal or assist that win or get the team out of the hole, which Wright had two of them but did not capitalize.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  17. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of wish he'd have stayed at Schalke to battle for minutes. Probably wasn't his decision though.

comoesa and bballshawn repped this.
  18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Heidel has been receiving some criticism from fans for the small squad Schalke chose this season and weren't happy Haji and Hemmerich were loaned out. He was asked about both in an interview:
    "One accusation is, that you don’t incorporate young players like Luke Hemmerich or Haji Wright, who had been formed in the Knappenschmiede.
    CH: Promoting and developing young players is very near and dear to me. Everyone at Schalke will tell you that. We will take a lot of money in our hands now to drastically improve the infrastructure and training situation of the Knappenschmiede. It is absolutely our aim to develop our talents well and to integrate them in to the first team. And that is why we have sent Luke and Haji on loan for a year, so they can gain first team experience in Bochum and Sandhausen. They are still Schalker and are now hopefully making the next step, to return afterwards."
    Full interview if you want it - https://www.waz.de/sport/fussball/s...chalke-an-ruecktritt-gedacht-id211906139.html

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From time to time maybe; many times Jozy has been criticized for walking around when he doesn't get the ball.

20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Criticized by whom? If a striker isn't receiving the service he expects because the other 9 field players can't move the ball far enough up the field, he should help in the build up. Why have the team only utilize 9 players? It's a useful skill, and based on what I've watched of Sandhausen recently, their normal gameflow requires Haji's assistance.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to Jozy in your quote. It is common knowledge in BS that he doesn't always play both sides of the ball.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1397 BostonRed, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    sakibomb523, Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he involved in the goal?

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #1399 ussoccer97531, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    No, not either.

I thought he played very well today. The other striker Holer is one of the most selfish footballers I think I've ever seen. The second goal should've been Wright's if Holer makes the pass pretty much any player would've made, he also denied Wright a few weeks ago of a goal if he didn't make such a lazy pass. Instead, he made the riskier play on the second goal today, and it worked out, but it shows how Holer operates. Holer rarely will pass even if he should and when he does, he usually makes bad passes. There was another instance today where if he doesn't make such a weak attempt, he probably finds Wright wide open for a chance in front of goal. He's essentially a useless player other than he poaches goals, so its not great if you are an attacking teammate of that guy trying to score goals yourself. The first goal was a free kick that Holer also scored. He's a good player, just incredibly one-dimensional, hurts team play.

Back to Wright, that was a good performance. He didn't have any great opportunities, one half chance where he dribbled past a number of players and then took a bad angle shot that fizzed just wide. Not the best chance, but the fact that he even got himself into that position shows the ability he has. Most players could not do that. He also drew a red card (second yellow) on one of the Regensburg defenders after he had beat him, and was going to be in on goal. He could've still went past the guy, but he was completely taken out of the play, could've very well been a straight red given the effort the guy made to make sure he fouled him and there was no play on.

Besides that, there was another instance where he beat a defender, was going to be in on goal, but that defender fell down and the ref bailed him out, lost that 50/50 call. And he also had a key defensive play when the game was 1-0 where he chased an attacker down when Regensburg had the ball in the Sandhausen half, and took it away from him, and drew a foul. A good overall performance, one or two bad passages, tried to make an unselfish and rather difficult through ball pass to a teammate when Sandhausen had a sort of counter, but it was cut out. Not really anything else he did wrong, was very good in the limited touches he had, only played about 25 minutes today, and his team was defending a lead. He was very impactful today, regardless of whether or not he got on the scoresheet with a goal or assist, although if his teammate was not very selfish he likely would've had a tap in. But he can't control that, can only try to play well, and he did.

25. Adhitya Bagus

Adhitya Bagus Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Depok
    Oh, the Irony. That Holer modus operandi is to sneak in when other striker (usually Wright, if he plays) drew defenders. If he's marked, he would be easily confined.

Just by his frame alone, Wright would be default target for man-marking. Thus, he has to learn how to better outmuscle or outsmart a marker, or two.