AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    starts on the bench.

although will be interesting to see what happens once Burgstaller, Di Santo and Embolo are fit again. From those 3 Di Santo is the irrelevant one.

Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    How did he miss THAT???????

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Was industrious in his 5 minutes but missed an absolute sitter.

Good news is he doesn't look totally out of place at this level.

5. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    my stream buffered what happened

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, he has to make his changes count. missing sitters is not going to help his cause.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a sitter but he also had to stretch to get that ball. Not the best pass but still should have been finished. Won’t matter. He can shake that off. Hadji was active in his 5 minutes. Encouraging.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Ok..

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2084 thedukeofsoccer, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    He had a lot of opportunities to contribute in his five-minute stint.

He's playing almost the polar opposite of how he used to. Formerly was a fluid, slick technician, who was too lackadaisical. But for Schalke's a-team he's looked like a clumsy try-hard. Even before the biffed scoring opportunity, he was tripping over the ball in trying to kill off the game and beat his opponents on the end-line, but he kept fighting to win the ball back after he lost it.

How does he find the balance between who he used to be and is now? He's going to have to answer that question if he is to actually make it at this level.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A loan to Holland or Belgium is in store I hope.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't.

He has been doing/showing increasingly well at Schalke and was just the first striker off the bench in their latest match. Schalke needs him and things are going pretty well right now.

adam tash repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides missing the sitter I thought he had a good 5 minutes. He looked engaged, tried things. He did NOT look out of place.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I cringed watching that... oof. Hopefully he gets at least another chance and shows well

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It was an Altidoresque miss.

ttrevett repped this.
  16. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    When that kinda thing happens you badly need to score soon after. You don't want that sticking in your head. Doesn't matter if he played well the other five if he did that, that is the thing that will stick out. Hoping he manages to find the net in limited minutes in the future. We've seen how horrid misses can reinforce themselves with Altidore and Wood before, gotta finish the next legit chance he has.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think the miss was as bad as the announcers made it seem. It was a bad one but not an all timer

18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I loved the way he danced past the defender on the end line. They caught up, but it was classy for a moment. He can play at this level.

DeCoverley repped this.
  19. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he had a positive game, even with the limited minutes he was noticable. It was great to see. He did not look lost, and positioned himself well a few times. The miss, yeah, that was tough. But from the one angle showing from the goal, you could see there was a defender there and the goalie was also there. I don't think he had an "open" goal, like a tap in sitter, but upper 90 would have done it. Hope he can forget it for good and keep working, it will pay off for him. He's got the goods to be a decent striker.

Honestly, at times his play reminds me of the American player of yesteryear, trying very hard, maybe too hard and forced at times, to make it in the big leagues. And coming up a little short too often. But, I think potentially he can be better.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with you. It was not as bad as they made it sound. He really had to stretch for the ball, and wanted to first time it, but he'll learn from it to take a touch and compose himself next time. You could see it coming though. At least he put himself in good position.

He made a really nice turn when 1 v 1 deep near the corner of the box, and looked to be fouled after the turn inside the box. The crowd gave him a nice cheer for that.

21. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    despite the miss
    agree as well.

even in spite of his miss, it appeared to me that he just belonged. he looked like a bl1 player in the few minutes he played.

never looked like that before.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  23. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji seems to be flying under the US press radar. I was reading some news about Americans in germany. One article mentioned discissing the six players in the Bundesliga. Even though in the sub-title they had 7 players listed, and Haji was listed last. This implies he was added as an afterthought after the title was made (Fox Sports Amerikaner Abroad).

Another article was talking about “up and coming” Americans U21. It mentioned Sargent, all the other usual suspects, including
    Taitague. No mention of Haji at all. Strange.

Anyway, I hope he plays with a focus and drive that he has something to prove.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have faith in this kid but had he scored that one, he'd have climbed in the pecking order. As is, it's still a long road.

25. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he would’ve...but only superficially. You know well there is more to a player’s game than a missed goal and European coaches are pretty comprehensive when evaluating players. Haji’s been doing something right to make full time first team. He needs to forget quickly and move on and we all will too.

PalmettoSpur repped this.