AllWright AllWright AllWright : Haji moving to the Coventry

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    maybe this lights a fire under haji, who still seems to have all the gifts necessary and just needs to couple them with the drive/mentality. worth noting that the latter factors seem the hardest to develop.

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It’s only one game but his speed seemed slower than B1 levels so his other skills would have to make up for this lack.

Maybe it was his brain slowing his feet in his first game.

EricSunRa repped this.
  3. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    He wasn't good. The team didn't give him the ball much, but probably because they've seem him in practice and knew what to expect. It seemed like he was filling out the 11 and getting some minutes in case that helps him. He obviously isn't ready for BL, even for a terrible team. He did't look BL2 quality either. But he also is definitely not a finished product. Hopefully he watches the tape a few dozen times, gets back to training, and finds a new gear. Or else he might have seen his last BL minutes.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Remember that one time when Haji Wright started a game for Schalke.. that was surreal. Wonder what ever happened to him.

- my post in 2 years.

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right, but imagine how cool it would be if the post were the exact opposite of that.

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1931 comoesa, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Welp. I really hope he gets another shot. He probably played one the worst games of his life right at the moment when he needed not to. I mean in his BL2 debut he was pretty comfortable. Schalke probably expected that level of play at least but then Haji sort of laid an egg.

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm sure he was not the first. Let's hope he uses the experience to push through to where he has to be. Imagine WMcK feeding Haji for a goal. I would choke on my strudel.

Thundering165, ttrevett and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  8. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke currently playing with a left back and Weston McKennkie up top against Dortmund, which doesn’t reflect well on Haji.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did Burgstaller come off injured?

10. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Or the coach. He sure wasn't thinking "what if". Unless he is just trying to hold BVB to one goal.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would have to say that this reflects pretty negatively on Haji's performance last game. The coach had all week to prepare a lineup knowing full well who is available. He decided that instead of having any striker on the bench it was better to leave Haji off the squad entirely and just hope. Not a great sign for the boy. The coach believes having no one on the bench is better than having Haji on the bench.

It will be very telling if now that Burgstaller is injured if Haji makes the bench next game.

13. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Champions League this week. You can't go into that playing a defender and midfielder as forwards. I think they may have been saving him for this very situation.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was thinking that too, they're playing a throwaway game in the Champions (the result won't change anything) and could give him a second chance there.

On the other hand, the rope is extraordinarily short for Yanks in Europe, so I keep my expectations low.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1940 adam tash, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Haji cant "blend" in at striker - which seemed to be his approach in his start.

he's gotta stick his neck out more and express himself out there - the striker cannot be a passive personality - he's gotta want the ball and want to be in the spotlight with it.

problem is, he cant make careless mistakes and turnovers, either....also, paired with burgstaller - he didn't have much room to do that cuz everything he wouldve done burgstaller did instead.

it's a fine line - but whatever he does, he cant be in his haed second guessing and playing cautiously.

16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not sure I understand what you’re saying.

Haji didn’t make the 18 because they were “saving him” for CL game in case Burgstaller got hurt?

I think Haji didn’t make the 18 because it’s fairly apparent Haji isn’t good enough for this level.

17. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wrench said: ↑
    Champions League this week. You can't go into that playing a defender and midfielder as forwards. I think they may have been saving him for this very situation.
    Not sure I understand what you’re saying.

Haji didn’t make the 18 because they were “saving him” for CL game in case Burgstaller got hurt?

I think Haji didn’t make the 18 because it’s fairly apparent Haji isn’t good enough for this level.

That was sarcasm??!!

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's not in the CL squad, don't believe he's eligible. And the game this week is irrelevant as they've already qualified.

besides yesterday Schalke II coach said that everyone including Wright will play Sunday.

19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Oh whoops I guess the sarcasm went over my head.

Sometimes you really do have some true believers in some of these threads.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just checked and you're right, he's not even in the B-list (youth players) so he cannot play in the (irrelevant) Lokomotiv game.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pace being over his head is one thing.

The lack of ambition and determination is another.

In opposition to someone like Sargent who pounced on the ball like an eagle on a mouse.

22. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I hear what you’re saying but literally anyone (including Haji) scores that goal.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If they manage to get that open in that position, which doesn't happen to everyone (including Haji).

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016