Haitians Abroad

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by SMerisier, Jul 16, 2008.

1. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I looked it up ;)

I'll pass you the link's when i get a chance.

2. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Has anybody seen npolo, pace 8, touppouyo, papito and the other haitians? what happened to these guys? I thought id see them here but since haiti started losing games they all disappeared.:eek:

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've heard stories of you hiding out when neither of your teams are doing well either Warlord. So maybe they've just taken a page from your book and decided to keep quite until the qualfiers are over.

Although on second thought, maybe they just have more important things to worry about at the moment with what's been going on in there country recently. I'm not sure how many of them actually live in Haiti, or have had family members affected by the hurricanes, but hopefully they're all alright.

4. nloplo

nloplo New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    How cute:). you missed me man? I've always been here. everyday I come to this website but I started soccer training so I'm a bit lazy to post. And I'm still not backing up from anything I've said before. Your year has been made. Impossible is nothing for real lol. Jamaica beat mexico by a sucker shot. Nice:rolleyes:

5. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    Reginald Francois (FW/Mid)-Warner Southern college
    http://www.warnersouthernathletics.com/roster.asp?playerid=287&sport=3
    (they not related)
    Bryson Francois(FW)-Warner Southern College
    http://www.warnersouthernathletics.com/roster.asp?playerid=286&sport=3

Jean Baptiste Mac-Lee(D) Johnson & Wales Univ(FL)

Ribert Fleuregiste(D.M)-Johnson & Wales Univ(FL) Starting in fall 09

Turlien Romulus (MF) Lindsey Wilson College

Fabian Vorbe (FW) Furman univ
    http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/vorbe_fabien00.html

All should be called up to U-20 or U-23 Soon in My View....

(p..s ribert is me)

6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched all the concacaf olympic qualifing matches and saw the Haitai-Mexico match. Johnny Placide looked amazing in that match even though the team gave up 5 goals. I was wondering if he plays much with Le Havre and if he has been capped by the full national team yet.

7. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    How good are Haitian teams at producing good youth players? Do young players (16-19) get much game time in the Haitian league?

The reason i ask, is just that i find it weird that you would prefer college players over young players that play in Haiti. It's not like college football is of high quality, and to call players up, simply for the fact that they play college football, is rather strange IMO.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think both Vorbe and Romulus have been capped at some youth level for Haiti.

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, i know i've heard the Vorbe name before, but i wasn't sure if it was him. If it is, then that makes it even more interesting as a pro-player (i assume the Haiti league is professional) has left Haiti to study in the US, and is likely on some form of scholarship.

Thing is that i know if this was to happen to a Salvadoran player (switching from the Salvadoran league to go study in US) then i'd almost certainly see him as a lost cause and see him as a player who didn't see himself playing professionaly in the future.

Just strikes me as weird when college players are called up to national teams (including junior national teams), as i'm sure there must be players of the same age and quality playing to home. Apart from Haiti, are there anyother national teams that often use college players in there national teams?

10. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    As a player i could tell you most of the reason we leave is because if you smart enough and you want to become a pro you have to leave the Haitian league because the Federation don't really take us seriously even if you are good or even better than some that are in the national league but if you don't have no connections then you mostly likely not going to get nowhere over there.

You Know Gabard fenelon is not from where he is listed..He is from Ille de latortue wherei was bor and raised i used to watch him struggle in our local tournament but he move to i think sain marc and dominated and also form some connections and that got him to the MNT There where a lot of better players in Ille de latortue who can play better than most in the Top club's In Haiti Just ask peguero he'll tell about all the players in Ille de la torture(tortuga) but for some reason if you not from port-au-prince,Cap-Haitien-Or Saint marck then dont they dont consider you a good soccer player Mostly beacuse Ille de La Tortue is not city it's a little Island or should An De Yor Like The Country or something.

11. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Well Haiti made it to the last U-17 world cup, and came very close to making the u-20 world cup. So young talents in Haiti is not the problem, the problem is that the structure in Haiti is so bad that those players can never develop into real pro players. Thats why we are pushing for those youngsters to play outside of Haiti in order to at least have a chance to be seen. For example, Vorbe from what I hear is dominating at his college. Maybe an MLS team will one day pick him up. But trust me, u17s and u20s dont form their teams with players from US colleges.

12. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Haiti does not use college players. I think the only one was Ricardo Pierre Louis who is now with the Colombus Crew in MLS and now plays with the senior team.

13. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh that must have been the one i saw then. But even though it's only been one player, it's the only national team that i have ever heard of that has used college players in any of it's national teams.

14. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    But that's what i was trying to say. Maybe i didn't explain myself properly, but i just dont see how college players can be seen as realistic options to represent a national team (at any level). I mean the college level of play can't possibly be better than that of the Haitian league can it? Why not use the young player that are already based in Haiti and playing professionaly, rather than these players that don't even get paid to play?

For example you look at El Salvador. We have a really good player that plays for his college in the States and has been getting rave reviews, was drafted first in the college draft and is entering the MLS draft as a generation Adidas player. Our coach has even said he wants to talk to him about possibly playing for us sometime soon. But i for one, don't think being a good college player makes him good enough to play for any of our national sides. Given he's to old for even our U20's, his only real option is to be called up to the men's side, but again, i don't think a college player (no matter how good) should be playing for the men's national side. If he gets drafted to an MLS side, then obviously that's a different story.

For me, i would rather have a player playing reserves or juniors at an overseas club represent us rather than a college player. I mean players that get trained at big clubs then move there way up through the juniors, into the reserves and then into the first team (ala Sony Norde).

15. pace8

pace8 Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Miami and Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti

You know something, now that I think of it, the US U-20 team uses some college players. I remember them saying they had 3 or 4 college players when they were playing the u20 world cup in 2007. I also remember T&T having some college players for some games at the senior level and u-20 level.

Yes the level of play in Haiti is higher than US colleges, but the level of organisation is better in the US. So a really good US college player can make it into the roster occasionally.

16. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh yeah that's right, i'd forgotten about the US using college players aswell. But now that you've brought it up, i think it's even stranger that the US (who many say have the most players abroad) depends so heavily in college football players, over those that might be signed to overseas based clubs, or even those youngsters that are signed in the MLS. I mean, i'm sure that they'd have more than enough young players in the MLS alone to field a decent side, but it seems they can't go without there college players.

I think the thing that gets me, is that in my opinion, young talented players should be playing reserves, pro or even juniors at this age instead of playing college football. I just don't rate college football that highly. Granted i've never seen a game of college football, so i can't comment on it's quality, but i just find it hard to see young players that are commited to going pro, playing college ball at this age in any other part of the world.

I guess it must just be the fact that colleges in the States are so sports orintated, that they are able to entice good players to play with them instead of going pro.

Now that i think of it, it must be that (US colleges being sports fanatics) because when you look at all there other sports (basketball, NFL etc) the players have to go through college to go pro. It still seems extremely weird to me, but i guess it's just the way things are run over there.

In saying that though, i think that for US players, college football is a real option, but for internatinal players to go there still seems like a step down, IMO. I know i still wouldn't like to see college players playing for El Salvador. But that's just me. I guess if you guys don't mind, and the players can get the job done, then there's no reason why they can't play college ball and represent the national team at the same time.

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well in the case of those two Haitians, a. they grow up in the States, so they probably followed the typical American path (which includes college ball) or b. they got a scholarship offer while they were in Haiti and a college opportunity in the States compared to most other countries is a hell of an opportunity.

18. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
  19. Toussaint

Toussaint New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    HAITI
    For info on Haitian players, we invite you to HAITISPORTS, the most reliable source of information on Haitian football.

Features: Player profiles, forum, chat, and match reports. Drop by when you have a chance.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Did Fabien Vorbe start his career with l'ecole de football Shana? Because I think I saw him playing during an international youth tournament in Puerto Plata, Dom Rep a few years ago

21. nloplo

nloplo New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    He probably did, and Shana fc is an academy owned by his uncle but not a popular academy.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Shana played 2 tournaments in Puerto Plata a few years ago and I had the impression that they 1) played very good soccer 2) had a lot of dicipline on and off the pitch and 3) were merely composed of rich kids

And yes, I got to meet some members of the Vorbe family

23. nloplo

nloplo New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Yep.Rich kids.I think that even their training field(s) are not in the city, but in the compressed rich neighborhoods they live in.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    They told me most of them lived in La Boule, next to Petionville. They surely were rich, they could afford to spend 1 week in the Playa Dorada Complex in Puerto Plata during the eastern holidays, I don't see too many haitians do that.

And they played excellent soccer of course.