Haitian U20 & Ajax (PDL) member Pascal Milien ponder next step;Turning pro or College

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by bana2166, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Milien Gets Ready for the Next Step
    Auburndale striker enjoys present while pondering pros or college.

When Auburndale's Pascal Milien had the ball, the opposition had little chance of stopping him. PIERRE DuCHARME/The Ledger

By MARC-HENRY LAZARRE
    Ledger Correspondent

AUBURNDALE -- Pascal Milien has always believed that he could triumph over any adversity. He has made his way from his native country Haiti to become one of the most dominant high school soccer players in the Florida. However, with his senior year winding down, he now faces the tough decision of turning professional or getting a college education.

Milien capped his senior year by scoring 49 goals and leading Auburndale to the state tournament for the second year in a row. The Bloodhounds finished as Class 5A state runners-up.

Milien is The Ledger's 2005-06 Boys Soccer Player of the Year.

In Haines City, the Hornets came up short of making the playoffs but nevertheless made tremendous improvements under Fidel Vasquez, who is a Haines City graduate. Vasquez is The Ledger's Coach of the Year.

Milien has made a habit of adjusting to drastic changes. He came to the United States with his father and his cousin Ronel St. Louis about 3 years ago. Milien and St. Louis formed a formidable tandem that last year culminated in a state championship for Auburndale. But things changed when St. Louis transferred to Winter Haven.

Milien took the changes in stride.

"This is life," he said. "You never know what's going to happen. He was a key player and he helped us a lot. But we had to keep working. We missed him, but we kept working together."

As Milien ponders his future, he still fondly looks back on his time at Auburndale as one particular memory stands outs.

"Our first day in the state semifinal, we had a pep rally and the school really supported us," Milien said. "Seeing everyone do that was awesome."

Milien has earned a slick reputation for avoiding defenders on the field. Now, the question is can he avoid those off of it? Milien has aspirations to further his education in college. He is currently working on passing the language sections of the SAT and the FCAT and is working hard to overcome the language barrier.

Described as very intelligent by Auburndale coach Bill Johnson, Milien speaks Creole, French and Spanish along with English.

For now, Milien remains undecided about his future.

"I haven't decided yet, but education is the first thing for me," he said. "I would like to go to college. I'm just waiting for my FCAT and SAT scores."

Milien is preparing to retake the tests.

"He hasn't taken the test again, but I'm confident he will pass," Johnson said.

One thing that hasn't been questioned is Milien's abilities on the soccer field. After scoring 34 regular season goals his junior year, Pascal upped the ante this season by scoring 49 goals. He is a tireless perfectionist who will stop at nothing to improve his skills.

The past two summers, Milien has played for club teams in Tampa and Orlando. He also played for the Haiti under-20 national team which competed against some of the top competition in the world.

He hopes that the combination of hard training and his international experience ultimately help him achieve his goal of becoming professional soccer player.

Johnson does not see any limit to Milien's abilities.

"I think the sky is the limit," Johnson said. "He's a very talented player. He's played with the Haitian national team. Professional ball is definitely in his future."

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060324/NEWS/603240443/1002/RSS01&source=RSS

In May 2005, Ajax (in Orlando, Florida) PDL Club sign Pascal Milien as Development player.

Orlando, FL – (May 05, 2005) – Ajax announces Pascal Milien as the latest signing to its 2005 Premier Development League (PDL) roster. Milien becomes the fifth Ajax player added to the PDL roster who also plays for his country’s national team.

“Pascal is a very talented player,” stated Greg Petersen, head coach of the Ajax Prospects. “He is definitely a professional prospect and his signing with our club is a pleasant surprise.”

As a junior, Milien led his Auburndale High School team to the FHSAA Class 4A district and state titles. Milien left Leo Gane, Haiti in 2003 with his cousin and father, moving to Winter Haven, FL. Prior to leaving Haiti, he spent most of 2003 playing for the Haitian National Team, before ending the year as an integral member of Auburndale’s soccer program. He participated in only five games that season, but provided an exciting boost to its offense by scoring 11 goals. His explosive performance carried over to 2004-05 as Milien racked up an impressive 34 goals and 10 assists.