Haiti, national Team [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by MIGkiller, Jul 30, 2003.

1. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA
  2. ElCesar

ElCesar Member

Mar 12, 2001
    KY
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    The article states that "The winner of today's match advances to the final eight in Mexico City, and the top two from there earn spots in the Olympics.".

However, this match is only the "home" match for Haiti. They still have to play the "away" match in Honduras. That game will be played in my hometown of La Ceiba. That stadium reminds of Saprissa, only smaller. The fans are an arm's reach away from the field and can get very rowdy. It will be a very tough place to play for Haiti.

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not to nitpick to much but the final 8 will be in Guadalajara not Mexico City.

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    HAITI just tied the score in la Ceiba
    1-1 vs honduras

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Where and how are you following this match?

And, is that 1-1 aggregate or in Wednesday's game?

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WCQ draw

Haiti will start their difficult path to the WCQs 2006 against the Turks & Caicos Isles in a home/home series. Not much of a problem here, but if they advance they will have to overcome the more experienced Jamaica in order to reach the CONCACAF semifinals. How's this looking for the Haitians?

7. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Haiti is practicing in Ft. Lauderdale Florida they practice on Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. if you live close to the area and want to come watch the Haitian Nationals preparing for WCQ they practice at the Lauderhill Sports Complex, alongside my youth team and miami-based club, Renegades Elite.

8. Groverboy

Groverboy Member

Mar 6, 2003
    The Triangle, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US vs. Haiti friendly 3/13/2004 - TV Coverage?

USSoccer.com doesn't have any TV info or listing (just MatchTracker) for this upcoming match. Any Spanish-language possibilities that anyone knows of?

9. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    I doubt they show it, because Haiti is not a big Footballing country, thank God they are playing in Miami for this one.

10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Your best bet would be Telemundo.

11. ISM

ISM New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    USA - Haiti TV

US vs. Haiti will be available live via DirecTV PPV.

The game will also be televised by HDNet.

Additional PPV outlets may be added so check out www.ppvsports.com for updates.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I notice that Haiti have already played both legs of their WCQ group, advancing for the next round where they will face Jamaica. Is this related to the recent turmoil in their country? Where was the home leg played? What are the chances that the current crisis may hurt their qualifying chances?

14. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA
    Both legs were played in Miami for obvious reasons, and I'd assume this will continue for their Jamaican game.

The friendly with USA will also be in Miami. (Haitians like this city)

15. eugene

eugene New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    new jersey, usa
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haitian Players Watch the Ball and the Tube

Haitian Players Watch the Ball and the Tube
    By GEORGE VECSEY
    New York Times
    Published: March 4, 2004

IN their spare time, they stare at the television: the roaming mobs, the bodies in the street, the fire and the smoke.

They make frantic phone calls, hoping their families are all right as their homeland, Haiti, goes through another wave of terror.

Meanwhile, they represent their country the only way they know how, by kicking a soccer ball in a public park in South Florida.

The players on the national team of Haiti have no money coming from home, as they prepare for qualifying games for the 2006 World Cup. On March 13 at the Orange Bowl, Haiti will meet the United States in an exhibition that soccer people call a friendly. This is a team and a nation that sorely need a friendly.

They play through the fear, citizens of a nation that has known little but terror and poverty. At the very least, the players are coached by a man who understands the concerns of marginal people.

"Before I took this job, I needed to know Haiti," said Fernando Clavijo, a Uruguayan immigrant who became a member on the United States World Cup squad of 1994.

"You couldn't believe the poverty," he said. "You had to smell it. But the incredible thing is how beautiful and clean everybody was, the kids going to school. I never felt any fear. This is what I felt from the beginning."

Clavijo took the job as coach of Haiti on the provision that the players would be based in South Florida, where he makes his home. They were living in modest motels, but as the Aristide government fell apart in recent weeks, the national federation stopped sending money.

With the players essentially stranded, Clavijo says, "I invest in the team," meaning he spends rather than earns.

It is Clavijo's way of putting something back. Now 48, Clavijo came to New York more than a quarter of a century ago, a soccer player without papers and without a professional team. He worked in restaurants on Long Island — "The best busboy they ever had," Clavijo said the other day.

One night the feds blocked the doors and the windows and started collaring the desperate people who washed dishes and cut vegetables. Somebody at the restaurant stripped the apron off the "best busboy" and sat him down with some patrons and handed him a bottle of red.

When the feds had made their haul, Clavijo was weak in the knees, but he still had a place in this country. By 1994, he was an American citizen, playing against Brazil in the World Cup on the Fourth of July. He is grateful for how far he has traveled.

"People in South America complain about poverty, but they have no idea," said Clavijo, who still has ties to Uruguay. "In Haiti I saw people taking turns to sleep because they don't have enough beds."

Although he coached the New England Revolution in Major League Soccer and observed his good friend Bora Milutinovic handling disparate people on the United States team, Clavijo was not prepared for coaching a national team whose president has stepped down under duress.

"There are some guys who are celebrating and some guys who are not," Clavijo said. "You don't even know."

Last Saturday night in an exhibition in Nicaragua, he sent his starting lineup on the field, only to learn that the home of Peter Germain, one of his starters, had been burned down in Haiti.

"The game started and his mind was not there," Clavijo said. "Should I take him out? If I do, I may destroy him. But he is a professional. He does his job."

Clavijo speaks Spanish, English and a little French, but he does not understand the Creole of most of his players. He finds himself morphing into his mentor, Bora, who could use a Serbian verb, a Spanish noun and an Italian adjective, maybe even veer into English, all in the same sentence.

Language, however, is the least of it. Some Haitian players have visas that allow re-entry to the United States and others do not. Clavijo must do the paperwork and the liaison work himself.

There is a bright spot. A private development company, Caribbean American Corporate Services, has found apartments for the players, and is trying to raise money through endorsements. The company exists to "empower communities here and in the Caribbean," said Linda César, its spokeswoman.

The company has agreed to subsidize some new expenses, although César quickly added, "We understand there are past issues, but we take responsibility only from when we started."

The players pursue their long-shot hope of qualifying for the World Cup, which Haiti did once, in 1974. They also hope to visit home. For now, they practice twice a day, which still leaves time to watch horrifying images on a television screen, a long way from home.

16. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are over 200,000 Haitians in the S. Florida area.

Anyway, Haiti relied on veteran Johnny Descollines (hat trick) in the first leg and cruised in the 2nd leg against a Turks and Caicos Islands that I might have been able to come off the bench and play for, they were that poor.

One player for Haiti that I think is underrated is Pierre Bruny, a strong central defender who absolutely dominated his area against Ecuador a couple of years ago and has been solid every time I 've seen him play. How he handles players like Onandi Lowe will be key in Haiti's chances to advance.

17. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    In case anyone hasn't found out, Haiti tied the USA today, 1-1.

Everyone is in an uproar over our performance, but I wanna take time to congradulate Haiti. I am excited about Haiti's chances in qualifying this year. They seemed to do very well against Turks & Caicos Islands (from what I read, wasn't able to watch them play the matches), and then tonight played very solid as well. I will be cheering for them in their aggregate against Jamaica, which is starting to look more winnable for Haiti. I think that will be the most highly contested 2nd round matchup, along with Panama vs St. Lucia (if St. Lucia make it through).

If they can get past the Reggae Boyz I think they will have a legit shot at making it to the CONCACAF Final 6 since the semifinal group will be relatively easier (compared to Jamaica) with El Salvador and Panama (if they both avoid upsets as well). And once they are in the Final 6, well, they only have to beat out two teams in order to get a chance at the World Cup. I know that's getting way up there, but just something to think about. Anyways, congrats again, and good luck vs Jamaica!

18. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    Haiti vs St Vincent Grenadines

tonight in Fortlauderdale you guys can go watch haiti national team vs st vicent grenadines at Westminster academy park in fortlauderdale.

19. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    Re: Haiti vs St Vincent Grenadines

haiti beat 1-0, score by Dieufene Thelamour

20. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004
    Haiti beat Brazil

Haiti beat Brazil 1994 all stars by 2-1. great and fun match today. the strong haitian defense kept Both Romario and Bebeto scoreless. great performance by the haitians.

21. Re: Haiti beat Brazil

BTW, Campos, former mexican international, scored Brazil's goal ;)

22. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Haiti beat Brazil

Thats a damn shame even if the 1994 All Stars are old

23. Izzy

Izzy New Member

May 4, 2004

the way haiti dominates this game show that maybe haiti was the Ronaldo's Ronaldinho's and them...... wooooooo a lot of skills by the haitians, good stuff.

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

good cause!

UNICEF AND 200 THOUSAND kids will favor from the game, Dungas' initiative.

25. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: Haiti, national Team [R] amistosos 2005

haiti announces a friendly vs COSTA RICA, before ticos take on mexico for the hex wc06.

no specific date was made or venue!

at the same time mexicans before the game vs CR....will play in carson, CA 2games: vs sweden and Korea