Had no idea Diego Serna was playing indoor soccer.

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Red Harvest, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
  2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned in the "Obligatory" thread about him below....:)

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    he is NOT with the team any more

4. bobbyfusion

bobbyfusion Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Boca Raton, FL
    NOT surprised-A rolling stone gathers no moss!

5. BHM2

BHM2 Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Red Harvest's posts from back in the Fusion days :)

Too bad about Diego Serna. He is a nice guy and was a great talent. He was one of the top 5 players in MLS in 2000/2001 but he just never shook his rebellious side I guess, he just flew off to Colombia without telling his club(s) several times and would not show up to practice on several occasions including, apparently, with Miami FC. He could be still playing and earning a paycheck if he was more professional and I would love to see him still on the pitch. He was my favorite Fusion FC player back in the day and he scored some superb goals. He linked up with Alex Pineda Chacon very well, as well as Preki.

But you know all of this already, I am just sad his career ended up this way.

6. Italia Miami

Italia Miami New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Our beloved #17 can still bring it !!! As an International player Diego has had many trips leaving his club team, to try out for his national team, as well as to ply his trade in Europe. This is very common and his trips were approved by the team. He has always been a professional, disciplined soccer player whom played with a lot of heart and passion!!! Delays often happen in International travel, and I am sure everyone has missed work for a job interview in their own lives, especially if your company is rumored to be folding, as both our beloved Fusion and Miami FC were. Luckily they reorganized in a new league NASL and became the Strikers which greatly pleased Diego and our local fans !!!

Diego had a blast playing Indoor soccer (no pun intended!) and greatly enjoyed the opportunity with a great group of people, however it was a new expansion team and they needed to bring in a few defenders to shore up the defense. He left to train with his club team in South America for the winter break, and is preparing for the outdoor season. He was born and trained as a midfielder, and has worked successfully over 13 years in division 1 !!! After 2001, he continued Internationally playing with the prestigious Once Caldas of Colombia, whom won the Copa Liberatdores Championship, and Macara of Ecuador, then rounded out his diverse background in divison 2 of Brasil. He is looking for a swan song return to end his career in the USA. He still calls Miami home, is opening an academy, getting his coaching license, and considers these fans like his family !!!

7. BHM2

BHM2 Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://articles.latimes.com/2003/aug/20/sports/sp-galaxy20
    "while in South Florida, Serna infuriated Fusion officials and teammates with tardiness and unannounced trips home ... to Colombia."

He also did it to New York
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-53230349.html

and from reports here, he did it to Miami FC too

8. Italia Miami

Italia Miami New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Regarding the above links and speculation...We are very appreciative of you being his fan and supporter at one time, and thank you for that. We hope to see you at the pitch cheering for him soon again!!! VAMOS #17

Diego has taken hundreds of trips that were approved by his teams over the last 17 years!!! (They don't publish that in articles). There is often gossipy or misleading information, from Spanish to English...for example he is 6' - 1" 195 lbs, and his birthday is Oct.2 which was stated incorrectly many years, as it was translated from South American/ European methods incorrectly !!! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I think there isn't a team out there, that would not enjoy having him contribute his unique talents, great attitude, and diverse, experienced background from playing in 7 countries, on 4 continents as a Super Sub, when your DP is injured or playing for his National team, or as Strength and Conditioning Coach!!!

I can post links to hundreds of articles speaking of his successes and accomplishments in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, since those you posted from 10 years ago, but frankly his professionalism and numerous MLS records still standing today, illustrate that he has developed into a dedicated, talented International professional, and a fine gentleman. He did make mistakes when he was young, as all players are flawed, and that article illustrates that he wanted to demonstrate his abilities and contribute to his teams success, in a heartfelt manner. After that article he was hired by one of the top respected Championship teams in South America. As I indicated to you his specialty is a Playmaker Midfielder, he only was forced into a Forward roll in the USA, as he had the necessary skills, and did admirably well. He is pleased to play however it helps a team to win.

He is one of the pioneers of the MLS league, whom helped develope the Colombian pipeline of amazing players. The league prefered to keep the stars here, and if our beloved Fusion had not folded, he would have had a Jamie Moreno like career. He was in excellent standing with the Fusion and was offered a contract in Germany division 1, however they prefered him to stay with Chacon at NE Revolution, yet he was selected by the Metros as one of the top picks of the dispersal draft, whom then sent him up to NE, after things did not gel with the squad. This is very common in soccer, and that reference in the article is just a reason to trade a guy, happens in sports/business every day!!!

My comment that his trip was approved was regarding the Miami FC...again his trip was approved by Zinho (from 3 coaches ago), and he was just delayed returning, which is very common with International travel. The team elected not to renew his 6 months contract, so they could use the roster space to sign Gale the USA player, whom they sold to Europe, to infuse the team with immediate cash, as they were looking to start a new league instead of folding. Luckily they were able to accomplish this and reform as the Strikers. Diego holds this team and the fans very dear to his heart, as he still calls Miami home. He is in good standing with the team, and has trained over 5 years with them, as most recently as the end of last year, helping them train for their amazing run to the Finals.

We are excited for his future in 2012 and onward, as he is transitioning into a Player/ Coach, and he is active active in our community with our charity One World One Goal #17, in his honor, and know he will continue his success as he considers his fans like his Family !!!

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I remember Serna being a quality goal-scorer in MLS (with the Fusion), but also a bit of a cheap shot artist as well.

Does that description sound right?

10. BHM2

BHM2 Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK. Well I am sorry if I may have offended you, you are obviously connected to Diego Serna is some way. I do like him, he is a nice person and I was telling someone tonight that back in 2001 he was one of the top 5 players in MLS.

I would love to see him with the Strikers if that was possible. I think if he works hard he has a couple good years left in him.

11. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    I remember that he had reached the point in those last two seasons where he was a bonafide 'villian' at away matches...I believe he sold some seats in away MLS stadiums because he was a 'bad boy' on what was really a good, dominating team--at least during the final season. Those Mutiny fans especially couldn't stand him (scoring on them repeatedly and getting under their skin so easily).

It was really fun to watch. I'd love to see him in the red/yellow hoops---might bring even a few more out to Lockhart.

Is it April yet?

12. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine Strikers and Serna happening. He had his shot with Miami FC and blew it. He basically had 2 good games and that was it. It's time for Serna to go on the next chapter in his life.

BTW, you have to love how it is never his fault when he leaves a team.

13. Italia Miami

Italia Miami New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    BTW ....Diego #17 can still bring it !!! He is still # 22 in the top 100 Goal Scorers in the history of MLS, with only 6 players ahead of him still actively playing, in any league. Six or Seven of his other MLS records still stand as well !!!

He had more than 2 good games there!!!...especially in his favorite Midfield Playmaker (Trident) position...but glad to see the squad has improved greatly since then.

And well...I wouldn't say he was a cheap shot, just a passionate player, but being Italian we admire his style !!!

14. CARBONERO25

CARBONERO25 Member

May 12, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Diego playing in the 7v7 men's league in Oakland Park on Saturday nights.