Gyau & Renken at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Willy23, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it time for Gyau to get his own thread since he's no longer a youth player and is on the full squad.
    Also, any news on Renken?

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You just jinxed him. He has not played a minute, could be sent down at anytime, let him play then we'll have a reason to comment on his play alone and have the BS honor of his own personal thread.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More impressive Gyau making a debut or you busting out an article of the Times? Could go either way! :D

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I'd go with the debut. That was 19 years of hard work and dedication in the making. The article took less time :D

6. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was more that I only hear about Gyau anyway, never Renken. Im not saying he's made it, for the reason you just stated. However, the way trophy case said that the club were finalizing things, it sounds like there is no intention to move him back down.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You jinxed him a second time! I was being sarcastic.

8. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

He's in the 18 but that doesn't mean he will play. Hopefully he gets 10-15 minuttes

9. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    bshredder, you always do good work with the young American kids. Even though Gyau didn't play in the Dortmund game, they gave him a chance to play for DEVELOPMENT sake. I stated in a discussion about Juan that MLS has to let him go in order for him to get better. This will be better for the National team in the long run since USSF developed him in the first place.

http://www.achtzehn99.de/2-1-friendly-win-over-ingolstadt/

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    How does MLS let go of a young talent so he gets better for the National Team?
    That doesn't make sense. Red Bull wants him to improve while with them to contribute to the success of the team and MLS wants young talents to contribute with the success of the league. MLS won't dissolve his contract or let him go on a free or sell him for anything less than market rates. This is a business separate from the National Team.

11. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    They are not playing him and the reserve league is not so good. How can a young player improve in this environment.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They are not playing him because its preseason. Season hasn't started yet.

So they should cut him?

13. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    No. He is talented and should be brought up the right way and I am talking about his playing time overall, not the pre season. JK is pushing for all the players to go Europe and that's why they are all going for these so-called training stints in Europe. MLS should try to work with the National team in this case.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trophy case, are you implying that MLS clubs cannot develop young talented players?

15. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't develop talent as well as European clubs. I don't know how that is even disputable.

16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt trust New York, Bakke or Soler.

17. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    I am just saying that right now they don't have the infrastructure to do it.
    MLS has good coaches but their hands are tied.

18. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    No but they are improving at a pretty good pace. At the grassroots level we seem to be making a lot of progress; it's what to do with them from age 14 and above that is a problem.

19. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    you are right.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I misunderstood I thought you were saying that the Red Bulls should let him go to Europe permanently not for a training stint. Didn''t he train with Stuttgart and Liverpool>

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We have to admit that we don't have the depth of infrastructure but we also have to admit that doesn't predicate all MLS teams to let their young players just leave easily. 'We suck at developing players so why do we even try to improve our teams by getting young players'? Really. Its developing and fortunately or unfortunately the young players early in the process will the the 'guinea' pigs for the benefit for future generations. We have to do the best with what we have and move forward. We are doing some things well while some need improving. We have to learn from our efforts. Not just give up.

22. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    You make some great points.

23. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if said efforts are led by people who give you plenty of reason to question whether or not they're competent?

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Without specifics it seems we fall into the 'we suck' narrative that I really don't want to participate in. The small steps that are occuring don't lead me to believe people are incompetent its that with the huge shift and reluctance of the powers that exist doesn't allow quick and nimble changes. The FSC US Soccer: the next steps had over a dozen separate organizations all wanting national resources to be used on their organization.
    (USL (PDL), USYS, US Club, MLS, USSF, College, HS Soccer, DA, MLS DA, etc all vieing for players to use them, all for their self preservation. Its so disjointed its wasteful. No integration, no partnerships, no one stepping aside, no affilations, no one working together. When Cirovski mentioned their short season allows 'independent play' and the HS guy mentioned that all the players on the 94 team played HS soccer so that means HS soccer should still play a large role in player development I still realize how far we still need to go.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.

Agudelo played in 28 of RBNY's 35 regular season and playoff games. So I don't really know what your definition of "not playing him" is. That's before we talk about the all the other games he played last season with US youth teams, the USMNT, USOC matches, etc. He's certainly in a much better position than players that went to Europe like Stefan Jerome and Gale Agbossoumande. He certainly got more playing time than other kids in MLS like Jack McInerney, Luis Gil, etc. For me he's not the poster child of an 18-19 year old not getting enough games.............

RBNY scored more goals last season than every team in the league other than Seattle. Rodgers and Henry were getting the job done, so Agudelo was coming off the bench. Just the way it goes. He looks to get a lot more playing time this season, if I'm reading the tea leaves properly. Of course he'll hopefully be gone for extended periods of time with the Olympic team and USMNT. So RBNY has had to plan for that by signing Kenny Cooper. If Juan can't outperform Kenny Cooper for playing time, then he'll just have to sit on the bench.

Comparing what an elite youth player like Gyau has available to him in Germany versus what's available in the US right now to Agudelo is apples versus oranges. We're just now building up our infrastructure. MLS clubs couldn't even sign players from their academies like Agudelo three years ago. So yes there are issues with the quality and number of games that 17-20 year old prospects get in the US..........but it's getting better every year. We're LIGHT YEARS ahead of where we were only 5 years ago.

And Agudelo knew all of this (or should have known all of this) when he signed on with MLS.