Gus Hiddink For 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by rarateck, Jul 29, 2009.

1. rarateck

rarateck Member

Jul 8, 2006
    Gus Hiddink is probably the most qualified coach in the world to lead the US national team to the 2014 World Cup. He has been known to develop teams into true world cup contenders. From South Korea in 2002 , Australia 2006 and now Russia in 2010. He is surely an elite coach with an ever more extensive resume beyond what I have listed but it seems that he likes to take on challenges and from the USAs recent performances and restructuring of the Youth Level I think we should go after him after 2010

2. olorcain

olorcain Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Abu Dhabi
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a dream scenario for the USMNT. Hiddink is probably the best in the world for our situation: getting the most from a less than a world class collection of talent. As much as I'd do cartwheels if it came to pass, I just don't see it happening. Russia (or I think more accurately Roman Abramovich) is paying him a boat load of money, over $2 million/year to coach Russia. Even IF the USSF was willing to shell out that kind of cash, I am not so sure how much Hiddink has left in the tank, if he even wants another 4 year gig.

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would be the real big deal for the US. But I can't see that your federation alpha leaders give him the freedom he normally requires.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I think he enjoys smallish challenges and huge piles of money. What's Bradley make, $250,000/year? I would speculate Guus would require, at a starting point, 50 - 100 X that much. The USSF ain't going to blow its wad for that. And that even assumes Guus would come to the US, since every federation and club in the world would want him. Plus, Guus is a short-timer most places. If our fed is going to pay through the nose for some cagey Euro, I want someone who'll be here for 5 years.

6. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    If he's looking to stay in the sport, but low stress the US would be the place.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Are we willing to pay what Russia are willing to pay (via various oil tycoons including Abramovich)? Not even remotely. If he leaves Russia after the world cup, some club team in England, Italy, etc. are going to back the money truck onto his front porch. And it'll be a job that's a hell of a lot more prestigious than coach of the UMSNT

Every couple of days we get another "Coach X should be our coach for 2014," and it's always some unobtainable person. We had David Moyes last week. We've had Jose Mourinho mentioned in the recent past. All these people would be nice, but they don't want this job.

Listen, I want Guus Hiddink (see what I did there? I spelled his name correctly) just as much as you guys do. But you need to be realistic here. When they went looking for a coach for the 2010 cycle the candidates came down to Klinsmann and Bradley. Klinsmann really had very little experience as a coach. Yes, he guided Germany to an advanced stage of the World Cup (in Germany)......but most Germans believe he was essentially a figure-head motivational speaker. Joachim Löw was the tactics/brains behind the operation.

So despite our prolonged coaching search, these "world-class" coaches everybody talks about weren't interested. And unless people think there's been a massive increase in the "prestige" of the job, then that hasn't changed.

What we need is somebody who understands CONCACAF (or you end up with a Sven situation), who's well respected by all the players (or you end up with a Steve McClaren situation), is tactically/technically proficient from a coaching standpoint (or you end up with a Maradona situation), and who actually wants the job.

One such man could be Leo Beenhakker........former coach of Ajax, the Netherlands, Real Madrid, Feyenoord, etc. But he also has been coach of Chivas & Club America in Mexico, and guided Trinidad & Tobago to the WC in 2006. This is the kind of coach we're going to get. You can aim for Guus Hiddink (which if fine, nothing wrong with that), but you're not getting him.

8. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beenhakker would be satisfactory

I would crap my pants if Guus is our head coach for 2014. It's insane. He will be scooped up by one of the big 4 or another G14 after the World Cup.

9. sc3m3k

sc3m3k New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm curious how well Poland will finish its qualifying under Leo Beenhakker - the group is still pretty condensed so its not very clear how the teams will end up. On another note Poland started a good program of paying attention to all the players that have some sort of Polish roots - which has allowed Beenhakker to include such players as Ludovic Obraniak from Lille to the Polish national side. I also think Beenhakker is a bit past his prime, he's going to be 67 yrs old on August the 2nd

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF ended 2008 with a fund balance of about $60 million. Think of the bulk of that money like a college's long-term investment/endowment. After the impact of the market crash on investments is fully known and after a likely 2009 cash deficit, that balance should fall significantly.

Hiddink would cost over $10 million per year. So, for a 4-year cycle, you are expecting the USSF to basically blow it's entire endowment on one coach for one World Cup cycle. That simply won't happen.

BB supposedly makes something less than $1 million per year. The USSF won't pay dramatically more than that for the next coach. At best, hope for someone willing to accept around $2 million per year.

The problem is, the US coaching job isn't really that prestigeous. 15-20 games per year, most either as the 6th or 7th most popular sport at US sites or in run-down central American sites. Zero international elite players and only a few 2nd Tier international pros (Howard, Onyewu, Dempsey, Donovan, maybe Altidore). For the world's top coaches, like Hiddink, the lure of 40-50 club games in top stadiums, sold out crowds, massive media attention, rosters full with elite players, annual league and cup championships, serious transfer budgets, $10 million salaries, and endorsement deals is way beyond anything the USSF can offer. It's no contest what the elites will prefer.

11. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd thinkthat to an older coach like our Polish friend would be attractive.

Older. want to ride out your career into the sunset doing what you love, but without all of the distraction. I'm not saying the US job is for just some person who wants to coach a couple more years, but think of Hiddink for the 2018 cycle. He'll be older, and may just want a job like that.

How about....SIR ALEX!!!

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Wynalda. Might not get a lot of wins, but for hilarity's sake it would be great. I'd love to see his post game reaction after getting blown away 5-0.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he has led nobody to be real WC contenders. That is your list?

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING BEFORE BECOMING A MEMBER OF BIG SOCCER.

However, any idea where all that cash is going? As it is I beleive the current cost for organization, travel, and development of ALL of our U-whatever teams and the full national team is somewhere around $30 million. Where's the other half going?

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiddink is the dream choice for the USMNT.

But it won't happen.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think the reason people always mention him is because of his penchant in the past for taking such "projects" as Australia and South Korea. Those national teams posts aren't more or less prestigious than the US job. How much did those federations pay for him? I have no idea.

I just think he's moved on to another phase of his career now. He looked to really be enjoying himself at Chelsea, and after the WC10 with Russia..........I can see him going back to coaching at the elite club level.

I happen to think that we really need somebody with at least a cursory knowledge of CONCACAF, or you risk a Sven-Mexico scenario. Sven did a good job with England (he was elliminated from all the major tournaments on penalties) and with Man City (the fans there didn't want to see him go). He'd won UEFA Cups, Scudettos, almost everything there is to win. Why did he fail so extraordinarily? (It wasn't just the hex, remember they had difficulty just getting to the hex). It's an interesting topic, and not easily answerable.

Personally, I think you need somebody how understands CONCACAF. That's why Beenhakker is interesting. People say he's told old. He's 66. Guus Hiddink will be turning 63 this fall. He's no spring chicken either. One of the reasons Klinsmann seemed like such a good candidate was because he had lived in the US for so long, that he did have a good knowledge of our team and this region. You know, people don't mention it, but he could easily be our choice post WC10. He's not really doing anything right now. He wouldn't be my first choice, however.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be Nowak.

Let's just face it.

:(

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF posts financial documents at the bottom of the following linked page:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/federation/resource.jsp.html

The 2008 audited financial statement is:
    http://69.16.133.139/v7c5x3f7/cds/D...8d432&dopsig=94471095e36eb73abc4740a87b658c20

I'm no accountant, so others might be able to interpret the numbers better, but on page #3 they seem to indicate USSF annual spending and revenues running between $45 million and $50 million. They show net assets at the end of 2008 of $59.6 million. Some years the net assets increase (up $3 million in 2008). USSF fiscal years start in April and end in March. Other years I assume their net assets decrease, such as presumably in 2009 when their investment portfolio probably took a hit after the stock market tumble and when they have unusually large costs, such as during this year of WC qualifying and playing in 2 big tournaments. I have heard that the USSF has a cash flow deficit in 2009, but I honestly do not have proof of that.

Anyway, USSF seems to carry net assets equal to a bit more than a full year's worth of expenses/revenues. Most of these net assets should probably be viewed like an endowment that the USSF is responsible for maintaining. They cannot just blow through the whole net balance in one 4-year cycle.

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only time I can see them blowing half of the ~$60 mil they seem to be keeping in the bank is a cycle in which the U.S. is hosting the World Cup. Even then it wouldn't be financially prudent.

20. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would say that the netherlands in 98, and south korea in 2002 were world cup contenders. they both finished in fourth place, and the netherlands were extremely unlucky to not get into the final in 1998. as much stuff that we still talk about the handball in our game against germany in 2002, holland has just as much or a right to gripe about the officiating of their semi-final with brazil.

australia was also unlucky to not get past italy in 06. hiddink is an extremely good manager, and we would be extremely lucky to have him, i am not sure if their is a chance in hell that he would ever manage us, but i would not like beenhakker as our manager.

21. olorcain

olorcain Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Abu Dhabi
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please, anybody but Nowak. If we must keep it in the USSF family I'd rationally take Pia Sundhage over Nowak.
    Nothing against Nowak personally, but IMO the single most important thing that happens during a coaching change on the national team level is a complete re-evaluation of the talent available. We won't get that with Nowak, just like we didn't get that with Bradley when he took over for Arena, and we didn't get that with Arena when he held onto his job for too long.

22. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002 South Korea = vastly overrated and got help from the refs to get as far as they did.

I would be drunk for a week if we got Guus. Our team fits his international selection, up and coming team (South Korea, Austrailia, Russia) without a lot of prestige. Unfortunately, I agree with others that his asking price might be too high. Chances are better that the next coach will be another MLS transplant.

23. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    my guess is Hiddink will return to club football, MANU? Fergie is getting on in years...or maybe ManCity or Chelsea if the management in either one fails next season...

24. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree on all of your points, however, despite getting help from the refs and playing at home, advancing to the semi-finals definitely made them contenders

25. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Where do you get this value from? This is significantly more money than the highest paid club coaches and roughly twice was Hiddink makes for coaching Russia.